Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 12:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Speaking of that E Class, I did get a chance a couple days ago to look at a new E43. This highlights my concern about V8 availability in an LS only in some "F Sport" or "LS-F" application should that even be available in the future. To me the E43 is boy racerish, garish. Black interior with red piping and red seat belts, just not the elegant understated luxury sedan that I would want. So essentially...for me the E Class has no V6 because what I would want is an ordinary E Class with a V6...not an E43. Just as I don't want to have to buy some LS-F which isn't the demeanor I want to get a V8...
While I wish an E400 existed, you should know you can option a AMG E43 to look like any other E-class. Select multispoke wheels, nut brown leather (or black or white) with black seatbelts, any woodgrain finish, etc. and you're back to the classy look.
Old 01-21-17, 01:14 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Who's pretending to be objective here? Im not, never claimed to be. Forums aren't great places for objective discussions anyways as it's all about opinions and I'll state it again, those are my opinions.

I think it's a given when I say that I don't like something that it's pretty subjective. Please don't assume otherwise.

You saying the engine isn't everything is subjective as well and certainly doesn't apply to me.
Old 01-21-17, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
While I wish an E400 existed, you should know you can option a AMG E43 to look like any other E-class. Select multispoke wheels, nut brown leather (or black or white) with black seatbelts, any woodgrain finish, etc. and you're back to the classy look.
Not completely, it still has the sport AMG grille, blacked out trim, black mirrors. Overbolstered part alcantara seats. Its just not a package that works for me.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Who's pretending to be objective here? Im not, never claimed to be. Forums aren't great places for objective discussions anyways as it's all about opinions and I'll state it again, those are my opinions.

I think it's a given when I say that I don't like something that it's pretty subjective. Please don't assume otherwise.

You saying the engine isn't everything is subjective as well and certainly doesn't apply to me.
In the Car Chat forum we try and discuss cars and how they interact with the marketplace in general, so when you say something like "this car doesn't compete with this car" the implication is that you're talking on an objective level, not as pertains to your own purchase desires. Theres a difference between saying "I wouldn't consider this car compared with this car" and saying "these cars don't compete".

We all discuss cars that none of us have any intention of purchasing all the time.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-21-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 01:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The 5LS seems to be akin to the Panamera 4S and it's similar 2.9L TTV6 entry. Porsche Panamera Turbo offers the V8. LS (F) could very well follow suit.
Old 01-21-17, 02:10 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, well comparing the LS to other cars is my opinion. Who thinks otherwise? If by me saying it compares more to the Ct6 than the Mercedes of the world, well so be it. That's how feel, based on my benchmarks. My benchmarks, which I'm sure are different than yours.

Dont get offended when I put the CT6 and LS in the same breath. They are similar to me based on the criteria that I have.
Old 01-21-17, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, well comparing the LS to other cars is my opinion. Who thinks otherwise? If by me saying it compares more to the Ct6 than the Mercedes of the world, well so be it. That's how feel, based on my benchmarks. My benchmarks, which I'm sure are different than yours.

Dont get offended when I put the CT6 and LS in the same breath. They are similar to me based on the criteria that I have.
Current LS460 lines up with the high end CT6. Next gen LS500 I think is closer to the German big boys.
Old 01-21-17, 02:20 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

See, Jill has different benchmarks than me.

That's how Jill feels. It's subjective, as what I said. There's absolutely no difference. Both opinions.

If you're curious what benchmarks I use, there are two primary ones: (1) overall size and (2) engine.

To me the $84k Platinum CT6 3.0 Liter TT w/400 HP @ 204 inches compares to the new LS with a 3.5 L V6 TT @ 207 inches I think.

However, neither compares to the Mercedes S550 IN MY OPINION.
Old 01-21-17, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know that you don't typically participate in discussions in the Car Chat forum, I'm just pointing out the difference in the goals of this forum vs the model specific forums.

Doesn't offend me at all, as I don't own a 5LS. I would however ask if you had sat in or driven a CT6...I have, and from the perspective of the car itself even in high end trims it feels a decided notch below our LS models, which I'm sure are several notches below the new 5LS. The powertrain concept I agree is similar to the CT6, but the execution of the vehicle is a different matter.

If all a buyer cares about is the powertrain, I wonder why one would buy an LS or a CT6 at all.
Old 01-21-17, 08:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When BMW and Mercedes introduced those cars, CAFE and emission standards weren't as strict back then.
that was around 2013 when those cars were released. unless i am missing something, i don't think the future of CAFE and emission in general has changed much since then. it's been a few years that governments (global) has said emissions have to come down big time.

and in the case of bmw, they released BOTH 740i and 750i at the same time, they didn't just release 740i with no clear indication of v8 coming. my point still stands
Old 01-21-17, 09:02 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, they have to juggle a lot of factors. Most hybrid electric motors can't deliver full power because there's not enough battery and generator current. Torque is another thing though - even the ES300h packs a big midrange kick in Sport mode with 650 V going to the traction motor.

Maybe European carmakers use smaller electric motors for cooling and space reasons too. Their motors are pancaked to the end of a dual clutch or torque converter transmission so there's not much space left over. A Toyota or GM-style planetary gearset takes up less space.
Old 01-21-17, 09:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that was around 2013 when those cars were released. unless i am missing something, i don't think the future of CAFE and emission in general has changed much since then. it's been a few years that governments (global) has said emissions have to come down big time.

and in the case of bmw, they released BOTH 740i and 750i at the same time, they didn't just release 740i with no clear indication of v8 coming. my point still stands
Cafe ratings have gone up by about 11 mpg since 2010. Each manufacturer has a different rating.

It's a common misconception that V8s will disappear. Instead, they will just become less common. Once the Ls460 is out of production, the the only way to get a V8 in a Lexus will be the higher end F or LC500 trims. Hybrids allow a lot of credits among other items. Off the top of my head, I think Lexus likely sells not more than 10-15K V8 cars perhaps year in the US compared to all of those other models.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-21-17 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 09:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

From 2018 onwards, V6 TT is the new norm, while V8 TT is now the halo niche - for full size luxury sedans.

What about air suspension.
Does 5LS have air suspension?
Does current 4.5LS have air suspension as standard or an option?
How reliable have the LS' air suspension been? Leaking?
Is it true that E Class' air suspension is softer than conventional coil springs, but very noisy?
E and C Class already have air suspension - should GS and IS get air suspension too, before Lexus arrives too late to the party with air suspension?
Old 01-21-17, 09:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Air suspension is still an option in the 4.5 LS.
Old 01-21-17, 10:07 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
From 2018 onwards, V6 TT is the new norm, while V8 TT is now the halo niche - for full size luxury sedans.

What about air suspension.
Does 5LS have air suspension?
Does current 4.5LS have air suspension as standard or an option?
How reliable have the LS' air suspension been? Leaking?
Is it true that E Class' air suspension is softer than conventional coil springs, but very noisy?
E and C Class already have air suspension - should GS and IS get air suspension too, before Lexus arrives too late to the party with air suspension?
All I can add to this is that the I find the "Acoustic Comfort" package to be necessary. Too much noise enters the cabin otherwise. I've also found the standard suspension to make unseemly clunks over bumps, much like the standard Volvo S90/XC90.
Old 01-22-17, 08:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did anyone notice how this new LS is going to be RWD with a possible AWD later? Huge props to Lexus for keeping RWD!

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)