Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Lol couldn't help myself
You're a masochist LOL
Old 01-23-17, 01:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's what people have said generation after generation.
And yet generation after generation we had major advances when it came to everything I listed. We went from body on frame to unibody. We went from solid axles to IRS, active suspension, air and magnetic shocks. We got very efficient engines, huge amount of powers, turbos, and hybrids. Assembly quality and precision went up tremendously, as well as interior quality, and safety features.

I don't think there is much room left for improvement when it comes to mechanical parts and sheet metal. We'll probably continue seeing marginal advances, maybe stuff like quad turbos, more finely tuned electric steering, more advances in hybrid tech, more extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber. But I doubt we'll ever see such major breakthroughs with as much wow factor as going from carb to EFI, solid axle to IRS, halogen to HID, interiors that cracked in the sun after a couple of years to today's quality interiors that can last over a decade looking new, having quality paints that stay glossy and don't peel, precision formed sheet metal with tiny gaps, catalytic converted to reduce emissions, tons of airbags, surround sound systems, etc. Horsepower wars have probably peaked out. All of these important items are already as good as they can get with very little room for improvement.

At the flagship level its all going to be about customization and tech. Even autonomous driving aids are mostly electronics and sensors.

That being said, I really can't complains. Todays cars are more awesome than ever, and as long as money is no issue there is a ton of choice!
Old 01-23-17, 01:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I know you didn't mean to quote me, but that's correct. BMW's have the most hackable (or should I say accessible) software. My friend had his enabled on his X5 and I absolutely loved it.
That BMW hack in not necessarily adaptive high beam array. I have that hack enabled on my m235i as well, which has regular HID projectors. Its just European "Variable Light Distribution technology". This is how it works. Basically it just lowers and rises projects and moves them side to side depending on speed.

"Variable Light Distribution technology, optimises visibility under many driving conditions. The road speed dependant system automatically enlarges the driver’s field of visibility by broadening the light beam, or the “footprint” of light.

In a typical city night-time driving situation at speeds below 50 km/h, the system ensures a broader distribution of light making it easier to recognise objects on the oncoming side of the road.

In freeway mode, the driver’s field of vision is extended by giving the light beam a longer range, and again offering greater illumination on the far side of the road.

Activation of the fog lamps at speeds of up to 70 km/h also generates broader light distribution and brightens up the area close to the car.

At higher speeds, the headlight range is also extended over and above the broader distribution of light.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12° horizontal from center and 0.7° lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8° horizontal from center and lowered 0.7° vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5° outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25° vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2° vertical)"

The adaptive high beam LED arrays actually have cameras and other sensors that detect oncoming traffic and modify light foot print accordingly. Basically enables you to drive with high beams on the highway without blinding oncoming traffic. See videos below. I am not sure if these types of headlights are allowed in the US, I know that back a few years ago Audi was trying to overturn an old headlight law.

Old 01-23-17, 01:42 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

And that headlamp (M235) costs $1,261 to replace. Each. In 5 years when it's all fogged up and yellowed, guess what?

EDIT: The CLS headlamp retails at $2,500. Each.

What car companies need to do is reduce the complexity and costs of cars. It's getting insane.

Even econoboxes are chock full of superfluous systems in them. Unsuspecting owners are in for quite the sticker shock when these things fail in their cars.

And everyone whines about their insurance premiums being too high.

Last edited by CleanSC; 01-23-17 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 01:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CleanSC
And that headlamp costs $1,261 to replace. Each. In 5 years when it's all fogged up and yellowed, guess what?

What car companies need to do is reduce the complexity and costs of cars. It's getting insane.

Even econoboxes are chock full of superfluous systems in them. Unsuspecting owners are in for quite the sticker shock when these things fail in their cars.

Lease and don't worry about it.
Old 01-23-17, 01:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think there is much room left for improvement when it comes to mechanical parts and sheet metal. ...
LOL - i'll try to remind you of this in a few years when self-driving composite cars fueled by hydrogen are available.

And that headlamp costs $1,261 to replace. Each. In 5 years when it's all fogged up and yellowed, guess what?
and that's why more and more people will lease over time, and more and more 'used' cars will be available for least also.
Old 01-23-17, 03:16 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That BMW hack in not necessarily adaptive high beam array. I have that hack enabled on my m235i as well, which has regular HID projectors. Its just European "Variable Light Distribution technology". This is how it works. Basically it just lowers and rises projects and moves them side to side depending on speed.

The adaptive high beam LED arrays actually have cameras and other sensors that detect oncoming traffic and modify light foot print accordingly. Basically enables you to drive with high beams on the highway without blinding oncoming traffic. See videos below. I am not sure if these types of headlights are allowed in the US, I know that back a few years ago Audi was trying to overturn an old headlight law.
They're still not legal and that's exactly how my friend's X5 works with the LED headlights. BMW has the awesome laser headlights that can spotlight pedestrians that we won't get though.
Old 01-23-17, 03:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

There's a crappy Mitsubishi Mirage waiting on you.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL - i'll try to remind you of this in a few years when self-driving composite cars fueled by hydrogen are available.
My thoughts exactly. We have a long way to go still.
Old 01-23-17, 03:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

We'll have "semi self driving" cars, with the feature being more like the self parking feature on the LS460. Cool to show off during a PR event but utterly useless in the real world.

About composites, its an interesting thought. I wonder if carbon fiber will ever become accessible enough where we'll see a flagship from the big four launch with full carbon fiber body. Or perhaps another material that's even superior to carbon fiber. That said, besides weight saving carbon fiber isn't going to cause as much difference as todays precision formed sheet metal with minimal seams, tight joints and anti corrosive protection vs old stamped sheet metal that felt like compressed rust, with huge panel gaps, squeaky body bushings, squeaky hinges that quickly inhibited corrosion, rust, "oil canning", and faded or peeling paint.

And with hydrogen, it depends a lot more on the infrastructure of hydrogen fueling stations than car makers. Hydrogen powered engines are not necessarily all that complicated, they are not even much different from petrol engines. You can pretty much modify a petrol ICE to run on Hydrogen.

and that's why more and more people will lease over time, and more and more 'used' cars will be available for least also.
I often wonder what the hell happens to the off lease used cars. Most people just lease new cars, and no wonder because the lease deals are amazing. You can get a decent family car for $200 a month or less that will be reliable as the sun and require no repair or maintenance for the duration of the lease.
Old 01-23-17, 03:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

They're still not legal and that's exactly how my friend's X5 works with the LED headlights. BMW has the awesome laser headlights that can spotlight pedestrians that we won't get though.
I also have an older (2012) X5, but it has HIDs, and I ordered a new X6M last month that will come with LEDs. BMW's website does a very vague explanation, but it seems that it will only have automatic high beams, not adaptive high beams. I guess they still haven't been able to overturn the old US headlight law dating to 1960ies. Good luck getting your self driving tech through the law makers.
Old 01-23-17, 04:18 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
We'll have "semi self driving" cars, with the feature being more like the self parking feature on the LS460. Cool to show off during a PR event but utterly useless in the real world.

About composites, its an interesting thought. I wonder if carbon fiber will ever become accessible enough where we'll see a flagship from the big four launch with full carbon fiber body. Or perhaps another material that's even superior to carbon fiber. That said, besides weight saving carbon fiber isn't going to cause as much difference as todays precision formed sheet metal with minimal seams, tight joints and anti corrosive protection vs old stamped sheet metal that felt like compressed rust, with huge panel gaps, squeaky body bushings, squeaky hinges that quickly inhibited corrosion, rust, "oil canning", and faded or peeling paint.

And with hydrogen, it depends a lot more on the infrastructure of hydrogen fueling stations than car makers. Hydrogen powered engines are not necessarily all that complicated, they are not even much different from petrol engines. You can pretty much modify a petrol ICE to run on Hydrogen.

I often wonder what the hell happens to the off lease used cars. Most people just lease new cars, and no wonder because the lease deals are amazing. You can get a decent family car for $200 a month or less that will be reliable as the sun and require no repair or maintenance for the duration of the lease.
The used car market is still pretty strong and is forecasted to get stronger.

Originally Posted by Och
I also have an older (2012) X5, but it has HIDs, and I ordered a new X6M last month that will come with LEDs. BMW's website does a very vague explanation, but it seems that it will only have automatic high beams, not adaptive high beams. I guess they still haven't been able to overturn the old US headlight law dating to 1960ies. Good luck getting your self driving tech through the law makers.
Do you live in the city? I couldn't imagine driving an X6M through NYC with that granitic ride quality.
Old 01-23-17, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think this video has been posted yet, but correct me if I'm wrong.

It give a lot of close-ups of both the new exterior and interior.

Old 01-23-17, 08:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

My only gripe with the LS (and any other Lexus for that matter) is their stubborn remote touch, or whatever they call that clusterpluck nowadays. They just need to take it on the chin and just copy iDrive's controller - the internet will whine for a little bit and get over it.

Lack of V8 is disappointing at first, but when you look at how much power the TTV6 is producing and 4.5 second 0-60, it kind of becomes a moot point. I'll be more interested how responsive the engine and transmission are, because even a TT V8 can feel slow if electronic throttle is programmed with lazy response and transmission is slow to react. The rest of the car is gorgeous inside and out, and I hope Lexus lets you customize it a bit more than they did in the past.
Old 01-24-17, 07:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
My only gripe with the LS (and any other Lexus for that matter) is their stubborn remote touch, or whatever they call that clusterpluck nowadays. They just need to take it on the chin and just copy iDrive's controller - the internet will whine for a little bit and get over it.

Lack of V8 is disappointing at first, but when you look at how much power the TTV6 is producing and 4.5 second 0-60, it kind of becomes a moot point. I'll be more interested how responsive the engine and transmission are, because even a TT V8 can feel slow if electronic throttle is programmed with lazy response and transmission is slow to react. The rest of the car is gorgeous inside and out, and I hope Lexus lets you customize it a bit more than they did in the past.
Trackpad is the great foundation for user control in a vehicle, it's Lexus implementation of it that sucks.
Old 01-24-17, 07:10 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How would you feel about that engine if the actual claimed time proved to be 5.1 seconds? Would you change your mind?

0-60 time is important to me because frankly I like to mash on it occasionally and it's always funny zooming by people in this barge. That's what I love about this car, is that it's fast for a boat, yet quiet and smooth.

I expect my next car to be much faster. I want a fast, smooth boat to clip 60 well under 5 seconds. Obviously the Merc, BMW and Audi all do it with ease and surely had the LS pack that 471 HP 5.0, it too would have zoomed in quick time.

What if the actual production car proved much slower and merely a few tenths of a second faster than the 2007 version? Disappointed?

Originally Posted by Och

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)