Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 07:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Seriously some of you are completely missing the point of what I was trying to say.

I was talking about turbo types and the ability to help and mitigate lag. Twin-scroll turbos are designed in way to do just that. These turbos are found in BMWs, Porsches, Audis, etc and they do help with lag and part of the reason certain manufacturers use them, albeit they are more expensive.

Traditional single-scroll turbos aren't as capable in this department and, we were merely speculating that this engine has or probably has two single-scroll turbos.

By inference, if you believe twin-scroll turbos are better at combating lag, then by simple transitive property, you can assume that this engine will have more lag, more so then if it had two twin-scroll turbos.

And since no one outside of Lexus has driven it yet, your assertations are as speculative as mine.
Again you don't like that it doesn't have a V8 it's obvious in your posts so you will take a shot at the TTV6 for any reason in this case you assume it will be laggy but laggy compared to what? As far as speculative I believe Toyota has built a very responsive TTV6 because it is Toyota simple as that. I can bench race and say the 0-60 claims for a car this big alone tells you it's not a laggy setup. I've had various turbos over the years on the swapped SC and Supra some single scroll with open manifold and some twin scroll with twin scroll manifold. The differences I noticed were minimal but neither case were factory twin turbo setups. Smallest turbo I had was a 61mm and largest a 67mm. It doesn't matter to you though because even when it's released if it's everything you claim it's not lag power band etc...you still still hate it because it's not a V8. I wish it was a V8 myself a 5.0 to match the LS500 name but it is what it is but I won't bash the TTV6 because of that.
Old 02-08-17, 08:02 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Ok, so your sensitivity for that is very high. By lower RPM's you mean like under 2k rpm, right? I had an MKV GTI and man by 1.5k it was moving nicely, and by 2k, it was GONE. For me, it was more than adequate for that application.

I appreciate your being able to discern that type of lag, but I feel for most of the public, they wouldn't notice. Especially in a car like the LS and it's audience where smooth power delivery (they call that lag) is good.

My mother has an SC430, and I recall reading somewhere that that car was detuned at low RPM on purpose (tuned-in lag) due to complaints of too much power when the pedal was initially pressed? Not sure if that's true, but I will say, I can't drive that car. Might as well be a camry engine in it with how bad it responds.

Point is, in the LS and who it's for, a tiny amount of lag (if any) would barely be perceived by most if not appreciated as "smoother". I wouldn't worry at all in this case.
Yes, I meant under 2k. And as it pertains to the LS and general public, I completely agree.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think a slow throttle response is often mis-characterized as turbo lag. You'll see people on this forum, with N/A engines talk about the slow throttle response on some cars, especially in the RX forum. On a N/A engine, people say "the throttle is laggy" but if the car has a turbo, they'll say "I feel the turbo lag".

Yes, I do believe some turbos have some lag, most often noticeable in say, a 5mph to 60mph test (rather than 0-60), but the manufacturers have done a tremendous job in greatly reducing that lag to the point that I think most people don't notice.

FWIW and full disclaimer, I've driven but never owned a turbocharged car. I have, however, had a supercharged car. My thoughts above could be all wrong.
I know the difference, but your point is true. BMW was the worst offender of strange throttle response I've ever driven, but only when the current X3 launched and previous-generation 7-series launched. They fixed it shortly thereafter. You would press the throttle from a stop or low speed and you'd get nothing....then the car would take off faster than you wanted.
Old 02-08-17, 08:12 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What does me not liking it doesn't have a V8 have anything to do with turbo types and lag?

It's a legitimate question and declaration. Search around any forum about modern turbo cars, Audi, BMW, etc., and you will find posts about turbo lag, even with twin scroll turbos. What makes this different?

If you want to believe I'm bashing something, go ahead. I'm not. I just find it funny you jump to that conclusion. So be it.
Old 02-08-17, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Seriously some of you are completely missing the point of what I was trying to say.
We get what you're saying, but what you don't realize (or maybe you do) is that what you're posting is relentlessly negative, and your outlook on the car is consistently the worst case scenario. You have no reason to be so negative about this engine and its prospects, because there is plenty of other information around that would give you reason to be optimistic (i.e. test driving other similar TT V6 cars like the 3.0TT CT6, the TT Genesis G90, so on and so forth).

I have driven those cars, and I felt no discernible turbo lag. So why would I assume this engine in the LS500 would have "tons of turbo lag?" I would only do that if I didn't have the experience I have or if I was being unreasonably negative.
Old 02-08-17, 08:26 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

How is me stating it might have turbo lag, negative?

That's a legitimate question for any turbo car.
Old 02-08-17, 08:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

What does me not liking it doesn't have a V8 have anything to do with turbo types and lag?

It's a legitimate question and declaration. Search around any forum about modern turbo cars, Audi, BMW, etc., and you will find posts about turbo lag, even with twin scroll turbos. What makes this different?

If you want to believe I'm bashing something, go ahead. I'm not. I just find it funny you jump to that conclusion. So be it.
I'm on Supraforums, 6speedonline and gtrlife forums. Multiple platforms especially on 6speedonline with lots of P cars, Audis but with heavy aftermarket modifications same on Supraforums and GTR life the lag talk discussed there is not like you're making it seem. For example Supras everyone knows the old school T51R is a badass turbo but it's laggy same with Greddy T78/T88 today you have options like Sound Performance Quick Spool Valve or use of cast manifolds with newer turbos. Options like those cut down on lag but again the average person that drives V8's won't notice the difference between an open or twin scroll turbo setup. I've driven multiple setups myself not just reading and posting on forums.

I believe you are bashing simply because it's not a 5.0 V8.
Old 02-08-17, 10:48 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well you are free to believe whatever you want to believe.

But, what I take offense to is that my declaration that a turbo engine might have lag is based on whatever.

Do not, I repeat, do not accuse me of anything. I take offense to that from you and others.

Don't automatically ASSUME my dislike of no V8 has ANYTHING to do with discussing lag in turbo engines.

And don't accuse me again, you and others.
Old 02-08-17, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why you're so worked up about this I simply do not understand.

For the record, you did not say "it might have lag", this is what you said specifically:

The LS 500 will probably have lots of lag. No amount of gearing or anything else will help much imo.
That is not the same as saying "it might have lag", its a declarative negative statement, it "probably" will, and "lots" of lag. Like we've said before if you would go drive some of these similar cars from other manufacturers that empty this type of TT V6 engine (and we've told you which cars specifically to try) you would see as we have that turbo lag isn't an issue, and theres no reason to assume that Lexus won't be able to address lag in the same way those manufacturers have.

IMHO, the LS460 has a fair amount of throttle lag when you get on it hard from a stop or a rolling start, which is a characteristic of Toyota electronic throttles that dates back to 1998. If you get on one of these cars hard, you might feel some sort of lag if you're looking for it, but in normal driving I'm willing to bet you won't feel anything, as I didn't when I drove those other vehicles. Honestly, hard to feel or tell either wasn't a V8. The LS460 lacks any V8 rumble or sound anyways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-08-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 10:56 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

What are you getting so worked up for?

Goes both ways. In fact, I'm not getting worked up. On the contrary.

Also, what part of "probably" is difficult to understand?
Old 02-08-17, 10:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Well you are free to believe whatever you want to believe.

But, what I take offense to is that my declaration that a turbo engine might have lag is based on whatever.

Do not, I repeat, do not accuse me of anything. I take offense to that from you and others.

Don't automatically ASSUME my dislike of no V8 has ANYTHING to do with discussing lag in turbo engines.

And don't accuse me again, you and others.
What are you comparing the lag to other boosted engines or NA engines? I suggest you test drive the G80 and G90, one is TTV6 and one is NAV8 that will give you a better personal opinion. Everything you have been saying is from forum searches go out and actually drive different setups like I suggested. I've driven multiple platforms and different turbos, I'm not just posting what I read online.

Last I checked Freedom of Speech was still legal.
Old 02-08-17, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand what "probably" means, I'm just saying that you are being unreasonably negative about the characteristics of these engines, especially when you haven't driven a similar vehicle with a similar type engine as I have. There is no unbiased reason to say "the engine probably will have lots of lag" Take an afternoon and go drive those two cars, you'll see. The TT V6 in the LS500 is going to be fine, smooth and quiet. Would I prefer a V8? Sure...although honestly if I got a G90, I don't know that I would upgrade to the V8 because the TT V6 I drove felt great. Its only $1,500 so maybe I would but would I have paid $4k to replace the TT V6 in that car with a V8? No.

If I got a 7 Series I wouldn't even consider a 750 over a 740, too much more money.
Old 02-08-17, 11:07 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Besides how do you know it won't have lag? You don't. I'm making suppositions based on some facts, notably turbo types, etc. You're assuming it won't based on nothing.
Old 02-08-17, 11:20 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Listen we can argue all day about this. But I'm entitled to my thoughts and opinions. I'm sorry if it gets you and others all riled up enough to actually throw out accusations. It's actually kind of funny, but I assure you that wasn't my intention.
Old 02-08-17, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Besides how do you know it won't have lag? You don't. I'm making suppositions based on some facts, notably turbo types, etc. You're assuming it won't based on nothing.
I don't know it won't have lag, but I don't think it will because I have driven similar cars with similar types of power plants and they don't have lag. I have confidence that Toyota can produce a TTV6 as smooth and lag free as GM or Hyundai in a very similar application.

How is having driven very similar cars with similar power plants and basing my expectation on that "nothing". Its actually quite "something" lol.

Go drive the cars...not sure why you wouldn't want to do that. Nobody's "throwing up accusations" lol, lighten up.
Old 02-08-17, 11:27 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Listen we can argue all day about this. But I'm entitled to my thoughts and opinions. I'm sorry if it gets you and others all riled up enough to actually throw out accusations. It's actually kind of funny, but I assure you that wasn't my intention.
Of course you are entitled, you state your thoughts and opinions based on what you read on forums. I state mine based on actually driving various cars, NA V8, twin turbo V6's and single turbo inline 6. If for whatever reason the LS500 had a single turbo then yes it would be very laggy. When you state it will probably be laggy and no amount of gearing will help and suggest laws of physics I jumped in to question that. Tell me which gearing is better for quick acceleration 3.76 or 3.13?

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)