Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 01:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
he LS will not be on the same playing field as the new S class or 7 series on brand and prestige either, to many it does not matter.
And you know this how? The new S-class is not out yet.

Originally Posted by UDel
Not everyone cares about brand and prestige, especially these days and especially when both cars are very comparable, if both cares are comparable but one costs much less and even has a V8 I can see many going for the G90 over the LS and not caring that Lexus is more prestigious. .
This is where you are completely wrong. Most of the population cars about the brand and prestige. Very few will choose a G90 over the new LS.
Old 02-16-17, 01:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

A naturally good looking car will look good in almost any color.
Dark colors always improves the styling by hiding the lines.

Old 02-16-17, 01:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The 5th generation LS will bow late 2017 after the LC launches in May. Until then there is limited information, but one article really highlights what elevates the 2018 LS, be its unique appointments, visionary technology, or polarizing design. It is important to remember that Lexus marches to the beat of their own drum. The LS is just beginning its latest generation and has nothing but time. The powertrain debate is getting old real fast, patience is a virtue. New powertrains will be coming ie the V8 (could be F or 600 caliber style) but we're likely a mid cycle refresh away from that. Until then, Lexus designed and developed the all-new 3.5-liter V6TT engine through the company’s F1 technology program.

This article was posted earlier in this thread but a great resource nonetheless.

“Not only will the LS symbolize the Lexus brand, it will become the definitive new-generation luxury car embodying Japanese tradition and culture,” said Toshio Asahi, chief engineer for the new LS. “As such, this global pinnacle must go far beyond what the world expects from a luxury car.”

“We set previously unheard of targets and resolutely pushed ahead towards these ambitious goals,” said LS chief engineer, Asahi. “The customers who are going to want to own a Lexus flagship are already surrounded by luxury on a daily basis, people who have a sharp eye for authenticity to begin with. We wouldn’t turn their heads with a conventional premium product.”

Just as the original LS launched the Lexus brand, the all-new 2018 LS continues the brand’s more dynamic direction. Each generation of LS sedans leading up to this iteration advanced luxury, craftsmanship, performance and safety in their own way, with the most recent also introducing a far more emotional design and engaging on-road performance.

A common thread going through all LS models remains: Omotenashi, the concept of Japanese hospitality. Applied to a luxury automobile, it means taking care of the driver and passengers, anticipating their needs, attending to their comfort and helping to protect them from hazards.

“The LS is the flagship of the Lexus brand,” said chief designer, Koichi Suga. “More than any other model, it embodies the history and image of Lexus and serves as a symbol for everything the brand stands for.”

Following the “Yet” philosophy that has been passed on since the first-generation LS, Lexus created a design offering the room and comfort of a prestige “three-box” sedan, yet with the stylish silhouette of a four-door coupe that holds stronger appeal for younger luxury customers.

The unique rendition of the spindle grille mesh, with a texture that seemingly changes in different light, is the result of both intense CAD development and hand-adjusting thousands of individual surfaces.

The organically shaped dash design clusters information displays at uniform height to support the “seat-in-control” layout that emphasizes the driver’s ability to operate all systems without the need to change posture.

Lighting and attention to detail express a unique aesthetic in the LS. A new approach to creating trim elements again turned to Japanese culture, combining traditional Japanese aesthetic with advanced manufacturing techniques. This is reflected in signature touches, such as beautiful interior ambient lighting inspired by Japanese lanterns and armrests that appear to float next to the door panel.

Lexus tuned the LS exhaust to convey a more authoritative tone, yet also designed the cabin to ensure utterly quiet cruising. New sound suppression methods further hush the environment compared to previous LS models. Active Noise Control quiets the cabin even more by detecting the sound of the engine coming into the vehicle and cancelling certain frequencies using antiphase sound from the audio speakers.

Its next-generation remote touch is designed to mimic smartphone operation, also supporting handwritten input.

The LS will feature the brand’s Lexus Safety System + and offer the Advanced Safety Package, which features the world’s first system with Intuitive Pedestrian Detection with Active Steering within the lane. With this system, if a pedestrian is detected in the lane ahead and a collision is imminent, the LS is designed to automatically brake and potentially steer around the person while staying in the lane.
SOURCE

Old 02-16-17, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 5th generation LS will bow late 2017 after the LC launches in May. Until then there is limited information, but one article really highlights what elevates the 2018 LS, be its unique appointments, visionary technology, or polarizing design. It is important to remember that Lexus marches to the beat of their own drum. The LS is just beginning its latest generation and has nothing but time. The powertrain debate is getting old real fast, patience is a virtue. New powertrains will be coming ie the V8 (could be F or 600 caliber style) but we're likely a mid cycle refresh away from that. Until then, Lexus designed and developed the all-new 3.5-liter V6TT engine through the company’s F1 technology program.
I agree with what you are saying. Especially about powertrain debat. I just don't agree that Lexus marches to the beat of their own drum.
Old 02-16-17, 01:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree with what you are saying. Especially about powertrain debat. I just don't agree that Lexus marches to the beat of their own drum.
I meant that in the sense of dotting i's and crossing t's before a vehicle release (not rushing), or continuing innovating hybrids despite the higher cost and low sales, spurring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Scout GPS (at least currently), to name a few, I think they do.
Old 02-16-17, 01:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I meant that in the sense of dotting i's and crossing t's before a vehicle release (not rushing), or continuing innovating hybrids despite the higher cost and low sales, spurring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Scout GPS (at least currently), to name a few, I think they do.
I see what you are referring to. I agree 100% now that you have clarified.

What I do like so far with the new LS is that is seems they are going for the "Japanese" feel. Less German clone (LS400, LS460) and more distinct Japanese design.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-16-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 03:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

(1)
Both S Class & Lexus LC has a positively raked rear face, angled upwards towards the viewer's eyes.
On the otherhand, the 5LS has a droopy "negatively" raked rear face, angled downwards towards the road surface.

(2)
Furthermore, the waistline of the trailing apex of the rear windows can either:
(a) run conventionally straight,
(b) droop slightly downwards like the current crop of C, S & E Class [which is not too good either],
(c) or curve slightly upwards like the traditional classic Mercedes S Class sedan & coupe of 1979.

The problem with the waistline on the trailing apex of the rear windows of both 6ES and 5LS is that the waistline curvature is far too prominent to look good.

(3)
Eight-light windows as used in the 5LS can look very complex and "fussy".
Audi has traditionally used the six-light windows, however Audi is able to keep it looking simple and clean, by NOT having a sub-triangular window in the rear door.
The purpose of the sub-triangular window in the rear door is to allow the rear window to open fully.
Normally, the rear window in the rear door cannot slide down completely, due to the obstruction of the rear wheel arches.

The forthcoming 5LS has effectively eight-fussy side windows.
I have no idea who is responsible, but I wouldn't be surprised if President Akio Toyoda is putting too much of his poor tastes into his current crop of cars; he needs to back off, and let someone with good tastes in styling decide...

Even the dreaded Infiniti uses only six-light windows to the 5LS' fussy eight-light windows.

(4)
Blacked-out C Pillars & "Floating" Rear Rooflines.
This doesn't apply to 5LS, but applies to the ugly new Prius, and the Lexus LC coupe & new Camry.

IMO, a blacked-out C pillar can look good, but only if it is symmetrical with the front A pillar being blacked-out too.
For example, this Italian Bertone styled Mazda Cosmo coupe in the early 1980's received the ALL pillar blacked-out treatment.

But then maybe by using a colored A pillar and blacked-out B & C pillars, TMC is trying to create an upside down "L" look???
However, the Prius, LC coupe & forthcoming Camry still look silly in the C pillar somehow, IMO.

Good styling combined with a solid car - really sells, eg: Toyota Cressida, 1st & 2nd generation Acura Legends, LS400 etc...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-16-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 03:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey

The problem with the waistline on the trailing apex of the rear windows of both 6ES and 5LS is that the waistline curvature is far too prominent to look good.
Is that fact or just your opinion?
Old 02-16-17, 03:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Is that fact or just your opinion?
It's my opinion and educated guess, but if you do a survey, I am sure we can find out, because styling is nowadays known to be a science, with certain cues that are considered to be attractive.
Using a survey, I wouldn't be surprised if the 5LS had the most unattractive rear amongst the photos posted in the thread above.
Old 02-16-17, 04:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

, but if you do a survey, .
Nah, no survey needed for me. The new LS500 looks fantastic.
Old 02-16-17, 04:34 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Not that it's a fix, but I believe the 8 vs 6 light windows will be a non issue with tint since the windows are pillar less.
Old 02-16-17, 04:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

We will know soon enough if the LS will be a success.
The true buyers vote with their wallets.

Personally im not a fan at this point.
I also think this market is oversaturated for the LS to sell at 1,000 units per month on a consistent basis.
The Sclass buyer will not jump ship like they did in 90s/2000s bec the Sclass now is just too good of a car.
The you got new players like Tesla, Jag, G90, Maserati and a boat load of $100k Luxury SUVs that are all competing for the same buyers.

I think the LC launch is crucial to get right for Lexus and build momentum as they are targeting a specific demographic that would be interested in boththe LC and LS. Lexus marketing has been a weak point lately and i cant recall any recent memorable campaigns except for the hoverboard which was not car related.
Old 02-16-17, 04:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Nah, no survey needed for me. The new LS500 looks fantastic.
Jill, therein lies the beauty of the "survey", because the survey speaks for all, rather than just one person's opinion.
For example, someone might like Trump, while another person may not like Trump.

However, if we can survey a nation [ie a large sample number], then the results are much more accurate, but the results must also be a victory by a "wide" margin.
Mathematically, it is termed "statistically significant".

If 51:49 are in favor of the four-light window, then that's not convincing victory.
A convincing victory would have to win by at least 2:1.

Eg, I notice that on the OP, more than 75% of forum members prefer traditional S Class style design over the sporty Jaguar type design, and that's a convincing victory.
Jags are designed to be sporty, because they are deliberately "niching".
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...018-model.html

A survey or sales figures does give us a good idea, but in truth, even if a product surveys well or sells well, only God knows what is really good or bad, such that at the end of the day, it's horses for courses and each to their own - so maybe the 5LS is a great looking car afterall...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-16-17 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 05:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Jill, therein lies the beauty of the "survey", because the survey speaks for all, rather than just one person's opinion.
For example, someone might like Trump, while another person may not like Trump.

However, if we can survey a nation [ie a large sample number], then the results are much more accurate, but the results must also be a victory by a "wide" margin.
Mathematically, it is termed "statistically significant".

If 51:49 are in favor of the four-light window, then that's not convincing victory.
A convincing victory would have to win by at least 2:1.

Eg, I notice that on the OP, more than 75% of forum members prefer traditional S Class style design over the sporty Jaguar type design, and that's a convincing victory.
Jags are designed to be sporty, because they are deliberately "niching".
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...018-model.html
Makes no difference what the masses think of the LS500. I like it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-16-17 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 05:07 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think the LC launch is crucial to get right for Lexus and build momentum as they are targeting a specific demographic that would be interested in boththe LC and LS. Lexus marketing has been a weak point lately and i cant recall any recent memorable campaigns except for the hoverboard which was not car related.
But the hoverboard jumped over the GS F at the end, which at the time had not been released

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)