Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 06:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
. Go up to about $89K but not breaking the "sound barrier" by going over $95K means you have sent a signal to the competition and its shoppers that you think your car has equal or more brand cachet than they have. That's a possibility but a remote one. There are styling issues, drive train questions and the pricing history of the LS line.
I believe this will be the case. The Lexus brand cache will be higher with the new LS and LC.
Old 02-23-17, 06:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Should be interesting how this plays into the Lexus Plus pricing strategy (one price stores)

These are the stores currently implementing it
Old 02-23-17, 06:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,697 Likes on 1,934 Posts

They have been bold I agree, but I would agree with Rhambler that their boldness on pricing hasn't been received well from the market.

I will also offer the idea that "the brand cache will be enough to support it", saying that is one thing when you're not going to be a consumer. But, when you're the one spending $90k or $1,200+ a month for a lease payment, it's not as easy to just say "a Lexus IS worth that over that S Class"
Old 02-23-17, 06:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They have been I agree, but I would agree with Rhambler that their boldness on pricing hasn't been received well from the market.
Indeed. I guess I just don't see $80k plus as a big deal for a starting price on this car. Last time I was at my Lexus dealer they had 4 LS460s. Three of them were AWD LWB models over $100k, and one was $80k-ish. I've never seen a sub $80k model at my dealer, though clearly they're out there.
Old 02-23-17, 06:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by e325rkh
Thanks. That helps me. These are items that all the competitors have (some for some time). Any new unique features that they can market?
Well the HUD is 24" which is the largest brought to market thus far. And Lexus LSS+AP features a PCS system with Intuitive Pedestrian Detection with Active Steering within the lane. With this system, if a pedestrian is detected in the lane ahead and a collision is imminent, the LS is designed to automatically brake AND potentially steer around the person while staying in the lane.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe this will be the case. The Lexus brand cache will be higher with the new LS and LC.
Lexus has (slowly) but surely been elevating the brand. These two models will add to their case. I think the 5th generation GS will be a luxury sport monster!
Old 02-23-17, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue is purely the competition. This has got to be cheaper than the German competition or people will buy them. Spec for spec it has got to be cheaper. As much as I love Lexus, if I am not saving money...I'm going to buy a 7 series. That gets me the biggest bang for my money.
Old 02-23-17, 06:58 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well they priced the RCF and GSF enough to "serve notice" and make their declaration to the competition and potential buyers.

But alas, I think that signal just depressed sales than help them.

I think the bellwether will be the LC. It's priced high, but much cheaper than the S Class coupe.

Let's see how many of those move. It might give an indication of whatever statement they are trying to make when the only statement that matters is us the consumer and sales.
Old 02-23-17, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well they priced the RCF and GSF enough to "serve notice" and make their declaration to the competition and potential buyers.

But alas, I think that signal just depressed sales than help them.

I think the belweather will be the LC. It's priced high, but much cheaper than the S Class coupe.

Let's see how many of those move. It might give an indication of whatever statement they are trying to make when the only statement that matters is us the consumer and sales.
Have you seen the new LC. I saw it last night, Lexus will absolutely move every single one. Demand will be higher than supply
Old 02-23-17, 07:11 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I guess if you only make a few hundred then yes. But what happens if they only sell a hundred or less per month? That would be kind of pathetic, but again I have no idea.

Heck, I think even at $79k-$81k, the LS might be hard pressed to break 1000 per month. However, that price imo is the only chance they got to hit that mark.
Old 02-23-17, 07:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, the segment is such that 15000 units per year would be a huge win for Lexus.
Old 02-23-17, 07:37 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well the HUD is 24" which is the largest brought to market thus far. And Lexus LSS+AP features a PCS system with Intuitive Pedestrian Detection with Active Steering within the lane. With this system, if a pedestrian is detected in the lane ahead and a collision is imminent, the LS is designed to automatically brake AND potentially steer around the person while staying in the lane.

Lexus has (slowly) but surely been elevating the brand. These two models will add to their case. I think the 5th generation GS will be a luxury sport monster!
The 24 inch HUD. It sounds good on paper but a large display may also be very distracting. When camera manufacturers touted big megapixel devices as their main selling point it became obvious that the average consumer was not taking pictures of black cats in coal bins and enlarging them to huge wall prints - but I guess you could do that.

The steering around the pedestrian bit. I wonder which way the Lexus will go? Head over to the kids trick-or-treating on the sidewalk... or veer over to the nuns raising money for the homeless... or just run over the kid walking home from the bar because you shouldn't drive after a night out
Old 02-23-17, 07:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattyG
The steering around the pedestrian bit. I wonder which way the Lexus will go? Head over to the kids trick-or-treating on the sidewalk... or veer over to the nuns raising money for the homeless... or just run over the kid walking home from the bar because you shouldn't drive after a night out
Personally I run into this exact scenario 3, 4 times a week. It'll be nice when my car can decide who to off so I don't have to make the choice anymore.
Old 02-23-17, 08:02 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Personally I run into this exact scenario 3, 4 times a week. It'll be nice when my car can decide who to off so I don't have to make the choice anymore.
Well then, there's a good case for an autonomous vehicle that does the driving for you. If a driver of a 415 hp sedan needs that much tech to detect a pedestrian with today's modern lighting systems and auto-braking - perhaps that person should not be driving at all :/
Old 02-23-17, 09:04 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, was pricing announced or are you guys just speculating?
Old 02-23-17, 09:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sorry, was pricing announced or are you guys just speculating?
Speculating.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)