Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 11:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you seen the new LC. I saw it last night, Lexus will absolutely move every single one. Demand will be higher than supply
I agree theres a butt for every seat, but at what price are these butts acquiring the seats is the question. Lexus GSF and RCF were all moved in their respective MYs but the first year units went as low as 25% off sticker, second year as low as 15%.

The LC is exploring new ground i guess. Not quite exotic as an a LFA, but not quite as mundane/mass market as RCF. So no one including all of us here have any historical trends to judge this vehicle on. Hopefully the reviews are positive, and customer base less critical of brand image
Old 02-23-17, 11:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus has (slowly) but surely been elevating the brand. These two models will add to their case. I think the 5th generation GS will be a luxury sport monster!
Yes, this LS500 and LC500 will elevate the brand for sure. Like I said in a different thread, the moment one views the LC500 for the first time, they realize that Lexus has created something extra special. I want to almost say it has an almost Aston Martin like reaction, but I don't want to come off as sounding rediculous. I was very critical of the LC V8 at first, now I totally get it. The LS based off the same platform should do the same and should be priced accordingly. I do agree that the next GS will go upscale as well. The next ES should move up in price too.
Old 02-23-17, 11:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The LC is exploring new ground i guess. Not quite exotic as an a LFA, but not quite as mundane/mass market as RCF. So no one including all of us here have any historical trends to judge this vehicle on. Hopefully the reviews are positive, and customer base less critical of brand image
The new LC500 is going to be very difficult to obtain IMO. It will absolutely be a sales hit. I was very skeptical of the LC at first (and my past archived posts reveal it) but I changed to tune on the LC over time.
Old 02-24-17, 01:12 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Lexus has (slowly) but surely been elevating the brand. These two models will add to their case. I think the 5th generation GS will be a luxury sport monster!
That's my feeling as well.

The LC and LS no matter how superior will not be sales magnets. That's the nature of the market segment : luxury GT coupes and halo luxury sedans don't sell in any significant volume.

However, the 5th gen GS, if based on the upscale GA-L architecture and if larger, with more functionality, and yet retaining or improving on the current generation GS' handling and on-road composure, could be poised to be a sales hit and profit generator like the 5 series and E class is for BMW and MB.

I'm personally salivating for a GS500 F-sport, based on the 415hp TT 3.5L V6 from the LS500, with rear steering and adaptive dampers. Maybe even an LSD/GSF's trick differential. My GS450h is getting long in the tooth and I've been spoiled by the Lexus experience.
Old 02-24-17, 06:46 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattyG
The 24 inch HUD. It sounds good on paper but a large display may also be very distracting. When camera manufacturers touted big megapixel devices as their main selling point it became obvious that the average consumer was not taking pictures of black cats in coal bins and enlarging them to huge wall prints - but I guess you could do that.

The steering around the pedestrian bit. I wonder which way the Lexus will go? Head over to the kids trick-or-treating on the sidewalk... or veer over to the nuns raising money for the homeless... or just run over the kid walking home from the bar because you shouldn't drive after a night out
I've had the HUD for years, it is usually not a distraction. Lexus made it slightly bigger, and as long as it stays low, I think that will be fine.

As for pedestrian avoidance, that is an issue with all current and future autonomous technology. How does the computer decide who to save?
Old 02-24-17, 06:54 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut

The LC and LS no matter how superior will not be sales magnets. That's the nature of the market segment : luxury GT coupes and halo luxury sedans don't sell in any significant volume.

However, the 5th gen GS, if based on the upscale GA-L architecture and if larger, with more functionality, and yet retaining or improving on the current generation GS' handling and on-road composure, could be poised to be a sales hit and profit generator like the 5 series and E class is for BMW and MB.

I'm personally salivating for a GS500 F-sport, based on the 415hp TT 3.5L V6 from the LS500, with rear steering and adaptive dampers. Maybe even an LSD/GSF's trick differential. My GS450h is getting long in the tooth and I've been spoiled by the Lexus experience.
Are you sure about the GS. If so, that is good to hear. A month ago, rumors were floating in CL that Lexus will do away with the GS.

I can understand the LC as a halo car for Lexus, standalone platform. Showcase it and create fans, who will keep the high volume in the RX, IS and ES which are highend versions of their Lexus counterparts. I believe I heard here they are doing away with the CT. I wouldn't think the LS would also need the high price, low volume, but I've been wrong before.
Old 02-24-17, 08:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you seen the new LC. I saw it last night, Lexus will absolutely move every single one. Demand will be higher than supply
That is great that you really like it but I have seen and read mostly negative reactions to it on other car sites from the exterior styling, interior, to lack of V8. I don't think it is going to sell well especially if it is priced higher then the current V8 model.
Old 02-24-17, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,697 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is great that you really like it but I have seen and read mostly negative reactions to it on other car sites from the exterior styling, interior, to lack of V8. I don't think it is going to sell well especially if it is priced higher then the current V8 model.
She's talking about the LC, not the LS.
Old 02-24-17, 08:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut

Unless it is a Mercedes S class.

The S class outsells several luxury cars that are half to even less then half as expensive then it. I agree that the market is not huge for expensive GT cars or big lux sedans unless of course it is a S class though and I don't see the LC or LS selling in big numbers especially if they are priced around 90K. There are rumors Lexus will not even do another GS unfortunately, sales have been pretty disappointing for it. I really hope if they do another GS, they forget the silly hybrid version and 4 cyl and go straight for power and performance, offer a affordable V8 again, 315-325 hp NA 6 cylinder standard, 430hp tt 6 cylinder as a mid level option.
Old 02-24-17, 08:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
She's talking about the LC, not the LS.
Oops, thought it was a LS since this is a LS thread. LC is very good looking and the reactions I have seen and read have been mostly positive for it though with a price in the high 80's or 90's I don't see it selling in any kind of volume, I wish it was priced in the 70's but Lexus is probably not looking for big sales anyway. If they have a non hybrid 6 cyl version down the line priced in the 70's I think it could be a pretty good seller for Lexus.
Old 02-24-17, 08:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Oops, thought it was a LS since this is a LS thread. LC is very good looking and the reactions I have seen and read have been mostly positive for it though with a price in the high 80's or 90's I don't see it selling in any kind of volume, I wish it was priced in the 70's but Lexus is probably not looking for big sales anyway. If they have a non hybrid 6 cyl version down the line priced in the 70's I think it could be a pretty good seller for Lexus.
No worries on the mix up between LS and LC. . give it time, I think the LS500 will do fine.
Old 02-24-17, 08:48 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Personally I run into this exact scenario 3, 4 times a week. It'll be nice when my car can decide who to off so I don't have to make the choice anymore.
Current software is not in this intelligent level at all. (including Google and Microsoft)
If you want Toyota software decide for you, you will most likely get big lawsuit.
Old 02-24-17, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oops, thought it was a LS since this is a LS thread.
A perfectly reasonable assumption LOL

To the S Class, still sells well but much less than it used to.
Old 02-24-17, 09:18 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus LS 500 has very OLD technology actually, it still use current LS 460 system with lots more beautiful user interface design.
  • They cannot add or integrate new technology because of current Toyota infotainment system, no CarPlay, No Android Auto, not wifi hotspot etc.
  • They cannot update to new technology on current platform, Toyota / Lexus has to wait until using Ford infotainment system.
  • They cannot add new autonomous driving into this new LS 500.
This LS 500 is more like a face lift of current LS 460.
Old 02-24-17, 09:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sears1234
Lexus LS 500 has very OLD technology actually, it still use current LS 460 system with lots more beautiful user interface design.
  • They cannot add or integrate new technology because of current Toyota infotainment system, no CarPlay, No Android Auto, not wifi hotspot etc.
  • They cannot update to new technology on current platform, Toyota / Lexus has to wait until using Ford infotainment system.
  • They cannot add new autonomous driving into this new LS 500.
This LS 500 is more like a face lift of current LS 460.
LOL, where are you getting all of this?

The LS500 is an entirely new platform, entirely new powertrain compared to the LS460. Literally nothing is derived from the LS460.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-24-17 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)