Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 10:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
Current software is not in this intelligent level at all. (including Google and Microsoft)
If you want Toyota software decide for you, you will most likely get big lawsuit.
The sarcasm of my post wasn't obvious?
Old 02-24-17, 10:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes, this LS500 and LC500 will elevate the brand for sure. Like I said in a different thread, the moment one views the LC500 for the first time, they realize that Lexus has created something extra special. I want to almost say it has an almost Aston Martin like reaction, but I don't want to come off as sounding rediculous. I was very critical of the LC V8 at first, now I totally get it. The LS based off the same platform should do the same and should be priced accordingly. I do agree that the next GS will go upscale as well. The next ES should move up in price too.
That's because its not. The 911 and Maserati GranTurismo are benchmarks for 'drive' and emotional aesthetics, which were at the forefront when building the LC 500.

Originally Posted by natnut
That's my feeling as well.

The LC and LS no matter how superior will not be sales magnets. That's the nature of the market segment : luxury GT coupes and halo luxury sedans don't sell in any significant volume.

However, the 5th gen GS, if based on the upscale GA-L architecture and if larger, with more functionality, and yet retaining or improving on the current generation GS' handling and on-road composure, could be poised to be a sales hit and profit generator like the 5 series and E class is for BMW and MB.

I'm personally salivating for a GS500 F-sport, based on the 415hp TT 3.5L V6 from the LS500, with rear steering and adaptive dampers. Maybe even an LSD/GSF's trick differential. My GS450h is getting long in the tooth and I've been spoiled by the Lexus experience.
here here I echo all your sentiments especially about a GS500 F-Sport

Originally Posted by e325rkh
Are you sure about the GS. If so, that is good to hear. A month ago, rumors were floating in CL that Lexus will do away with the GS.
You gotta take things with a grain of salt. This rumor has been around since 2011. Especially since there is no 2012 GS, which went on hiatus while the 4th gen '13 was getting the final touches.

Lexus LS 500 has very OLD technology actually, it still use current LS 460 system with lots more beautiful user interface design.
  • They cannot add or integrate new technology because of current Toyota infotainment system, no CarPlay, No Android Auto, not wifi hotspot etc.
  • They cannot update to new technology on current platform, Toyota / Lexus has to wait until using Ford infotainment system.
  • They cannot add new autonomous driving into this new LS 500.
This LS 500 is more like a face lift of current LS 460.
Did Mercedes pay you to say this?!
Old 02-24-17, 10:20 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, where are you getting all of this?

The LS500 is an entirely new platform, entirely new powertrain compared to the LS460. Literally nothing is derived from the LS460.
I think he means Technology/Interface related not platform/drivetrain.
Lexus is well behind in this regard.
Old 02-24-17, 10:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I hope the GS rumors are false but the current model has 1-2 years left.
It came out in 2012 as a 2013MY.
We should be seeing something new soon, yet rumors are that Lexus hasn't even started working on a replacement.
Usually takes 3-5years to develop new gen car....
Old 02-24-17, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think he means Technology/Interface related not platform/drivetrain.
Lexus is well behind in this regard.
We haven't seen anything about the infotainment setup of the new LS. From the pictures the interface looks different.
Old 02-24-17, 10:42 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We haven't seen anything about the infotainment setup of the new LS. From the pictures the interface looks different.
This exactly what I mean the UI modification.
Here are some examples that you may understand more.
Windows operating System: windows 10, windows xp, windows 7, windows 8, etc. they are all using SAME kernel software, they basically are same except some user experience changed.
Android System is TOTALLY different operating system than Windows!
Android sub versions are basically the same.

What I'm saying is Android can never do something what Windows can do, and vise versa.

Unfortunately, Toyota current infotainment system (computer system) cannot integrate with some modern technology.
Old 02-24-17, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You are assuming the new LS uses the same old system
Old 02-24-17, 11:07 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

You are assuming the new LS uses the same old system
Let's see what Porsche can do now, 18 Mercedes-Nenz S 560 is out very soon.
Panamera

Old 02-24-17, 11:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Most MY17 Lexus run on Lexus Gen9 Navigation. The LC 500 pictures showed a revised version likely Gen10, the LS showed some differences but overall looks the same.

LC 500

LS 500

Old 02-24-17, 11:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its always going to be a similar layout and setup, thats their corporate look and feel. Look at different generations of iDrive for instance, even the latest version with the touchscreen and gesture control looks like an improved version of the same basic framework.

Hence Lexus' setup is always going to have a similar feel. With new functionality, a streamlined interface and a faster processor whats the issue with that?
Old 02-24-17, 11:21 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Its always going to be a similar layout and setup, thats their corporate look and feel. Look at different generations of iDrive for instance, even the latest version with the touchscreen and gesture control looks like an improved version of the same basic framework.

Hence Lexus' setup is always going to have a similar feel. With new functionality, a streamlined interface and a faster processor whats the issue with that?
There is nothing wrong with it, just like you still can run Windows 95 on your brand new laptop. You should get more than that with that hardware.
Old 02-24-17, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with it, just like you still can run Windows 95 on your brand new laptop. You should get more than that with that hardware.
I would suggest that Windows 10 is at its core an evolution of Windows 95. Until any of us have used the latest example of their infotainment I don't see the point in condemning it.
Old 02-24-17, 11:31 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

I would suggest that Windows 10 is at its core an evolution of Windows 95. Until any of us have used the latest example of their infotainment I don't see the point in condemning it.
It seems very difficult to explain to you about this.

You can tell me why Toyota/Lexus doesn't what to add these new technology to it flagship car?

I can tell you the answer: because Toyota uses its own operating system, Apple, Google, and other companies don't want to build software library for this old platform.
You will see these new technology after Toyota starts using new software platform.
Old 02-24-17, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota and Lexus have said that they have no intention of allowing Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on their platforms, that's their deliberate policy. I really don't think age of the basic platform is the issue...look at Honda. Their system makes Lexus' look state of the art and they have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Old 02-24-17, 12:11 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have been bold I agree, but I would agree with Rhambler that their boldness on pricing hasn't been received well from the market.

I will also offer the idea that "the brand cache will be enough to support it", saying that is one thing when you're not going to be a consumer. But, when you're the one spending $90k or $1,200+ a month for a lease payment, it's not as easy to just say "a Lexus IS worth that over that S Class"
Good point. In MY OPINION, most of the people complaining that if Lexus price the car too high they would rather go for the alternative are the people that I see buying the LS500. And the reason is going to be what everyone here that own a Lexus is most proud of Reliability and Value. If I have 90k and I have a Lexus priced at 87k and a BMW or Mercedes priced at 89K or 90k, when am done comparing engine output prestige, luxury features it would always comeback to if I spend this 89k or 90k and next year the value drops or like we know with BMW am always at dealer fixing something. when this taught kicks in Gradually you start heading towards a Lexus dealership. This taught is inevitable if you own a Lexus any car you shop you will always think about its reliability.

Point is If you are worried about how much something you want to use cost then you are also worried about how it holds when you start making use of it (except if you buying with no plan of using it), and how much you get back when you try to move to the new version.

A good example is when I got into an accident last year with my 07 gs350 with almost 200,000 miles on it, the car was declared totaled. After the insurance appraisal I got close to 11k back. that's on an 07 base model GS. I can say the same for a friend who owns a BMW of the same year with lesser mile than mine.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)