Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 10:53 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Is this based on a hunch, or deep knowledge from working with the current backbone in design and deployment?
Depends where you want to attack, directly to OS/mobile app or servers. In the first case it will be a lot easier to break through Android platform cause that thing has no security nor privacy what so ever. But absolutely the easiest way to unlock the car would be Mercedes NFC unlock. Basically Mercedes allows you to unlock your car with Bluetooth which is all kinds of dumb. Bluetooth does not have data encryption at all so all you have to do is copy and paste the Bluetooth signal to see how Mercedes unlocks its cars from the app.

Cyber crime car thefts as well as taking over control of self-driving systems are not the future but present day activities. Internet of Things or IoT did very little in terms of security cause security is last checkpoint on consumers checklist. Do you know even your Philips Hue "smart" bulbs can be easily hacked? Car is no different than Phillips Hue bulb at all. I'm sure manufactures have thought of security when it comes to app communication between your car and your device but there is always a weak spot where manufacturer cannot do nothing about even if they are aware of it (and they are most of the time) especially since the technology is in it's infancy.
Old 02-27-17, 05:21 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok I'm prepared to get skewered for this, but that's fine. I don't care.

It is my opinion this "new" V6 isn't that special. V6 Twin Turbos at 400+ HP isn't unique or difficult to develop. In fact Infiniti, Cadillac and Lincoln all have one instead of making a V8.

Coincidentally, these engines are found in the CT6 and Continental. I consider those cars a step down from the truly ultimate flagship. These cars are nearly just as big, at 204+ inches I think, but are stuck with a 400+ HP V6 and I do think because of it, it notches them down a ratchet.

Why should the LS have different considerations now that it too has a 400+ HP V6?
Old 02-27-17, 05:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Because the engine is just one variable. Remember there was a time not that long ago that these Cadillacs and Lincolns had NA V8s, did that mean that they and the LS were on the same playing field because they had the same sort of engine? No, having been somebody who went from a V8 Cadillac STS to a V8 LS400 I can tell you the cars were on completely different levels. Having driven the Continental and the CT6 they aren't on the level of the LS460, let alone this new LS500. Refinement isn't there, quality of materials and build isn't the same, not as refined or as smooth, the Continental is a Taurus sourced transverse powertrain layout.

You're hyper focused on the engine, but in reality much more than that goes into making a vehicle truly of this flagship class.

Dare I say, if all you care about it "having a V8" you wasted your money on the LS460...you should have bought something like a Challenger or a 300C. Theres so much more to the quality of the car than that.
Old 02-27-17, 06:01 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well I'm a car guy, which means I do care what's under the hood. Call my hyper sensitive to that, fine. I am.

When I compare these cars the engine is probably one of the first things I examine.

To me, since I do take that facet very seriously, the LS has moved down a notch. I do classify it like the CT6 and all other "wannabe" flagships.

That's just how I feel. You could put diamonds in it and stitch every surface with leather as it wouldn't change my mind.

There's only a few true flagships left and they're all German.
Old 02-27-17, 06:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Dare I say, if all you care about it "having a V8" you wasted your money on the LS460...you should have bought something like a Challenger or a 300C. Theres so much more to the quality of the car than that.
For that matter, though the quality still cannot be compared to a Lexus, today's Chrysler products (most of them, anyway) are not the rental-grade, shoddily-built rattletraps they were up till just a few years ago.
Old 02-27-17, 06:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well I'm a car guy, which means I do care what's under the hood. Call my hyper sensitive to that, fine. I am.

When I compare these cars the engine is probably one of the first things I examine.

To me, since I do take that facet very seriously, the LS has moved down a notch. I do classify it like the CT6 and all other "wannabe" flagships.

That's just how I feel. You could put diamonds in it and stitch every surface with leather as it wouldn't change my mind.

There's only a few true flagships left and they're all German.
I'm a car guy too, but when buying a big flagship sedan there are a lot of other variables to me as well. Thats your opinion and you've voiced it repeatedly, I'm not sure what is served by continuing to bring the discussion here when you're not willing to entertain any arguments that might change your mind.

Everytime the discussion gets away from it you bring it back to the engine, and then refuse to entertain any opposing viewpoints. We get it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-27-17 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 06:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It is my opinion this "new" V6 isn't that special. V6 Twin Turbos at 400+ HP isn't unique or difficult to develop. In fact Infiniti, Cadillac and Lincoln all have one instead of making a V8.

Coincidentally, these engines are found in the CT6 and Continental. I consider those cars a step down from the truly ultimate flagship. These cars are nearly just as big, at 204+ inches I think, but are stuck with a 400+ HP V6 and I do think because of it, it notches them down a ratchet.

Why should the LS have different considerations now that it too has a 400+ HP V6?
Yes the 400+hp turbo six isnt something special, but the engine is just one part of the equation. Take for example, the Hellcat with its 700 or so hp. Does it automatically elevate it to Ferrari status? Nope. The CTS-V has a 600hp or so Corvette engine in there, does it automatically elevate it to AMG or M status? Nope. What really matters IMO, is the total package at the right price, most of the time.
Old 02-27-17, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Yes the 400+hp turbo six isnt something special, but the engine is just one part of the equation. Take for example, the Hellcat with its 700 or so hp. Does it automatically elevate it to Ferrari status? Nope. The CTS-V has a 600hp or so Corvette engine in there, does it automatically elevate it to AMG or M status? Nope. What really matters IMO, is the total package at the right price, most of the time.
Great analogies.
Old 02-27-17, 06:53 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Because the engine is just one variable. Remember there was a time not that long ago that these Cadillacs and Lincolns had NA V8s, did that mean that they and the LS were on the same playing field because they had the same sort of engine? No, having been somebody who went from a V8 Cadillac STS to a V8 LS400 I can tell you the cars were on completely different levels. Having driven the Continental and the CT6 they aren't on the level of the LS460, let alone this new LS500. Refinement isn't there, quality of materials and build isn't the same, not as refined or as smooth, the Continental is a Taurus sourced transverse powertrain layout.

You're hyper focused on the engine, but in reality much more than that goes into making a vehicle truly of this flagship class.

How did the TTV6s in the Cadillacs and Lincolns feel power-wise and acceleration compared to the LS? I always felt my LS was underpowered. It was smooth and fuel economy wasn't bad, but it felt like a regular 6 power-wise.

Compared to the LS460 V8, a TTV6 IMO will feel much more powerful, even if you don't drive fast. The torque down low will pull harder and move to the upper gears higher, keeping the RPMs low. Something I also like in turbodiesels when you are not doing spirited driving.

I do understand the concerns that the folks that keep their vehicles many many years may feel.
Old 02-27-17, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by e325rkh
How did the TTV6s in the Cadillacs and Lincolns feel power-wise and acceleration compared to the LS? I always felt my LS was underpowered. It was smooth and fuel economy wasn't bad, but it felt like a regular 6 power-wise.

Compared to the LS460 V8, a TTV6 IMO will feel much more powerful, even if you don't drive fast. The torque down low will pull harder and move to the upper gears higher, keeping the RPMs low. Something I also like in turbodiesels when you are not doing spirited driving.
WAY more power in those TTV6 models I've driven than my LS. Like you said, much more powerful feeling down low in the RPM bands around town too.
Old 02-27-17, 08:47 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

We must all agree to disagree.
Let's just say that there are differing opinions to the styling & drivelines of the forthcoming 5LS.
Only God knows best, and only God knows how well 5LS will sell.

Just my own views only, but we know that now we are living in the era of fuel efficiency & environmental friendliness.
So in comes the small capacity turbos like the IS200t & LS500 3.5 V6 TT.

My experience with my wife's IS200t is that if I had to do it again, I would go IS350 V6 atmos, and especially the old IS250 had they not discontinued the old 2.5 V6 atmos.

Why?
Well, just me only, but I love the conventional throttle response, torque curve & smoothness of the V6 atmos.
Meanwhile gasoline is still relatively affordable, so I have no problems with economy, nor do I have problems with the old 2.5 V6's power.
I don't really use the new 2.0 Turbo's performance, nor new found economy, but I really miss the throttle response, torque curve & smoothness of the old atmos V6.
The old 2.5 V6 atmos is actually smoother & quieter than my own GS 3.5 V6 atmos, so the old 2.5 V6 was an absolute pleasure in the IS despite the lack of power & economy.

Thus, I can understand that a number of 4LS V8 owners will feel similarly about the new 5LS V6 TT.

Bear in mind that there will be other people like Metrathon, who will love the small capacity turbos ability to do 0-60 in 4 seconds etc.

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-27-17 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 09:30 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because the Germans also has the same thing a 6cylinder enegine. Its ok to have opinions but its also good to be realistic. I don't think Lexus is getting rid of their V8 engine and like I keep saying they still have a year to before the new LS starts selling. A lot can happen in that period. So now the question goes back this way.

Why should the Germans have different considerations since they also have a 6cylinder engine in their flagship sedans?
Old 02-27-17, 09:42 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

On a side note, if the TT V6 was chosen to appease EPA standards kind of sucks now since its basically moot with EPA budget cts
Old 02-27-17, 09:42 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

The Germans don't have a different consideration because they all offer a non-performance model V8 option while Lexus does not.

If Lexus offers the LS with a V8 then it won't be a wannabe flagship in my eyes. But I don't think that's going to happen.
Old 02-27-17, 09:46 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Depends where you want to attack, directly to OS/mobile app or servers. In the first case it will be a lot easier to break through Android platform cause that thing has no security nor privacy what so ever. But absolutely the easiest way to unlock the car would be Mercedes NFC unlock. Basically Mercedes allows you to unlock your car with Bluetooth which is all kinds of dumb. Bluetooth does not have data encryption at all so all you have to do is copy and paste the Bluetooth signal to see how Mercedes unlocks its cars from the app.

Cyber crime car thefts as well as taking over control of self-driving systems are not the future but present day activities. Internet of Things or IoT did very little in terms of security cause security is last checkpoint on consumers checklist. Do you know even your Philips Hue "smart" bulbs can be easily hacked? Car is no different than Phillips Hue bulb at all. I'm sure manufactures have thought of security when it comes to app communication between your car and your device but there is always a weak spot where manufacturer cannot do nothing about even if they are aware of it (and they are most of the time) especially since the technology is in it's infancy.
Although I agree that IoT is the biggest amateur hour due to either new area of tech or due to data collection habits of companies, thats a very general categorization.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)