Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 12:10 PM
Superes350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes james, long time!

i think dealership experience can really vary. i have seen awesome and terrible lexus services myself, and my limited experience with bmw and mb have been very positive so far (though of course, i have heard bad ones too).

lexus has extra 3 years or so on the new LS, they better get it right
I wouldn't be surprised if it were barely an improvement that was easily eclipsed when Mercedes and BMW release their new S and 7-series models
Old 10-12-15, 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
What is the price difference in the US? Exchange rate accounted for , you are looking at about $60K difference between the LS460 and S550 here in Japan.
My LS was $80k, fairly lowly optioned. An S550 starts at $96k, but it only comes LWB here so the LS460L is the better comparison, although I specifically did not want that.

An S550 optioned conservatively the way I would want it is about $105-110. So its about $30k more comparing to what I would want.

Now...bear in mind I got $10k off my LS460 so the transaction price was really $70k. At least when I got it you wouldn't do as well on an S550.
Old 10-13-15, 02:27 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

i was under the impression that they will debut the car in jan 2016 in tokyo, which then i expect the car to hit dealerships in late summer as 2017 models. so that would make the current one 4 model years.

but yes if it is pushed out to summer 2017 as 2018 model then it's 5 years. i don't think we know enough for anything to be factual yet

Tokyo Motor Show only takes place in October/November of odd-numbered years, never in January. Nothing had confirmed a January 2016 debut of the 5LS, only the LC at NAIAS. The North American International Auto Show (NAIAS)/Detroit Auto Show is the only major January event.

As for the LS, there are no prototypes in sight, save for a mechanical mule that appeared in May 2015. Actual 200B programme prototypes are testing and have been since at least 2014, but they are not out in the field for public viewing. The fifth generation is not coming next year to showrooms, unless moved forward last minute.

As I said for months, Lexus will preview the next generation LS in concept form and NOT the production version. I have been proven right. For some reason Lexus announced this October 28 reveal last week, yet no one has posted anything on here regarding that.

I am particular about the model timelines, especially in cases of aging product.

Originally Posted by Superes350
Another thing to consider is how long Lexus keeps these platforms around. If they don't significantly change it, it's going to be outclassed much faster than the current generation was.
Well, for one, it will ride on a new modular platform, that will be unveiled in the coming months, if not weeks. The W222 S-Class reportedly utilizes an updated W221 chassis, while its 2020 successor will likely debut the second generation of MRA (facelift in 2017 will not adopt it).

It is the only core Mercedes-Benz model that won't be using MRA this decade.

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Are you talking about a about another S-class non of us have seen?
I just love your comments at times, honestly.

again you are trying to talk about value, which i will totally agree with you that lexus is better value. it would be stupid to argue that. but no matter how you spin it, you just can't deny the presence and prestige status of the s class. just go and get the total sales numbers of LS vs S from 2007 to 2012 and we will talk about which car has a better presence in this segment. and i am not even going to discount the fact that most LS sold are swb whereas S doesn't even have swb here in the US.

and you still don't get the idea that second set of buyers have much less influence on the overall presence of the flagship audience that manufacturer cares about.

you don't have to challenge me. my ls460l was black and i had first hand experience about the car paint quality. so unless you actually own either a s550 or ls460 in black over period of time, you can feel however you want but i think my words carry more weight.

now i do agree with you, i think the 07-09 s class exterior was not as desirable than the 07-09 LS. but at the same time i can also say the 10-13 s class exterior improvement from the headlights to talights, it's far better than the less than impressive upgrades on the LS of the same period.
and f-finesse? give me a break, we all know how l-finess is after the 06-12 lexus era, you don't see that at all anymore
You got it! I didn't really warm up to the W221, until the facelift in 2009. I was more interested in the XF40 (4LS) from 2005ish to about 2009. That is where the gap between the S-Class and LS widened. The level of changes needed back then for the LS, should've been a MY2011 more on the level of the MY2013 changes (w/o the spindle), which was too late in my opinion to remain competitive enough.

The decision making made, for what became the 2010 model year LS was clearly uninspired and a case of resting on their laurels too much. I naturally wrote it off and hoped they were already at work on a successor due in 2012-13, not 2017.

Originally Posted by rxonmymind

No no no. Not ANOTHER F sport model. Lexus will truly have lost their way. Not everything need to be F'd. Would like to see ONE model not be F sport. They have plenty in their stables that already are.
There is a difference between "F-Sport and F, right? An F variant of the LS is likely, at least with a staggered launch.

Originally Posted by AJT123
First of all, WHEN.THE.F are we going to see the new LS? I have heard this month at the Tokyo Auto Show, but Lexus is being so tight-lipped, I can't even find a rendering.

I'm practically foaming at the mouth in anticipation. I certainly think Lexus has the capability for a class-comptetive/leading LS....just look at the 400 and 430; they were tops in objective comparison tests almost every time. The question is, are they going to actually follow through again? We know Lexus has the engineering beans.
Ironically you mentioned this, just as Lexus gave a press release for the long rumoured and expected...a concept model planned for reveal on October 28th in Tokyo. That concept is an LS preview, not the production model.

Lazy journalists in the West (mostly in US) cannot be bothered to get all the information at their disposal, compared to their Japanese counterparts and are more than likely indifferent about such news, in it being a positive Lexus topic.

There will simply be no new production Lexus unveilings until the LC coupe in Detroit. One should expect to start seeing LS prototypes running as soon as the Tokyo concept debuts. It is all carefully timed for a reason in such cases. Concept showings overlapping with the first prototype spottings is not a coincidence. Testing is always done behind doors until prototypes are ready and verified for road use.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As an owner of a brand new LS460 I can tell you...it's a great car, the S550 is a better car. The price difference reflects that. Lexus needs to step up their game and answer that.

As someone who has watched values in this segment over a long period of time, the S Class does depreciate more steeply than the LS. Doesnt mean the LS is a better car. More expensive cars depreciate faster, and the public has more faith in the long term reliability of a Lexus which helps resale.

If you offered me an S550 in exchange for my LS I would take it. Every LS owner being honest would.
Quite unfortunate how that it is likely not far from the truth, as it shows how far the LS is now lagging behind in comparison. I would do the same at this point, but then again I do not really own an LS. However (off the record), that could change depending on the next gen and possible endowment next year.

To the others in thread, it's not that one is saying that there are absolutely no strengths the current XF40 LS has over the W222 S-Class, but that the weaknesses outweigh the strengths greatly. In my case, I do prefer the S over the LS in terms of incumbent examples. No contest.

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
More like September 2006.
Yes, I very much co-sign this. Launched in 2006 =/= since 2007. One really should not be referring to something anachronistically, as it is not truly accurate and minimizes the longevity of an aging product. The current generation was first being rendered in early 2004, first spied and also leaked in 2005. It has been around a little bit longer than 2007, so it is disingenuous to claim by default it is merely 8 years old.

By the time 2007 came around, both the S-Class and LS were getting their nip-and-tucks for MY2010 signed off and/or towards that (in LS case). I already pointed this out, so if it falls on deaf ears, oh well.

I really wonder why some folks continually struggle to know the difference between what a model year is and model's actual introduction. For me, I have made it as simple as MY (Model Year) - 1 = intro year, except in special cases (see 1998 LX470). The Lexus RX launched in March 1998, yet it was a 1999 model. By the end of 1998, the second generation was already in development and halfway through after 2 years since RX debut.

Originally Posted by Superes350
I wouldn't be surprised if it were barely an improvement that was easily eclipsed when Mercedes and BMW release their new S and 7-series models
I would not be surprised either, but hope for the best. Other than the LFA, lately sometimes Lexus is caught penny-pinching in areas such as level of customization, packaging and equipment across regions. On the other hand, BMW IS is about to be eclipsed by another competitor in the near future, where they're not even expecting it.
Old 10-13-15, 03:41 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Seems like Lexus planned to release the new LS in the final years of the S class to take advantage of the markets' worn out feelings for the S Class just like how the S class came out these couple years and is totally destroying the LS and the 7 series.
Old 10-13-15, 06:01 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Seems like Lexus planned to release the new LS in the final years of the S class to take advantage of the markets' worn out feelings for the S Class just like how the S class came out these couple years and is totally destroying the LS and the 7 series.

they all kind of play this game to be on the higher end of sales, and maybe throw in some last minute tech to have that "edge" when released
Old 10-13-15, 08:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmk1
Quite unfortunate how that it is likely not far from the truth, as it shows how far the LS is now lagging behind in comparison. I would do the same at this point, but then again I do not really own an LS. However (off the record), that could change depending on the next gen and possible endowment next year.

To the others in thread, it's not that one is saying that there are absolutely no strengths the current XF40 LS has over the W222 S-Class, but that the weaknesses outweigh the strengths greatly. In my case, I do prefer the S over the LS in terms of incumbent examples. No contest.
I think one has to realize though that this has really always been the case. The S Class has always been the benchmark of the segment, and the LS has always been a little smaller, cheaper, etc.

If you compare the current LS to the current XJ, or the outgoing 7, or even the much newer A8 it still compares very favorably and quite frankly continues to lead. Its really the S Class which is such a far and away improvement over the previous S Class that almost creates a new segment above the other offerings. Price wise, you can clearly see that too, its in another category entirely.
Old 10-13-15, 05:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes, I very much co-sign this. Launched in 2006 =/= since 2007. One really should not be referring to something anachronistically, as it is not truly accurate and minimizes the longevity of an aging product. The current generation was first being rendered in early 2004, first spied and also leaked in 2005. It has been around a little bit longer than 2007, so it is disingenuous to claim by default it is merely 8 years old.

By the time 2007 came around, both the S-Class and LS were getting their nip-and-tucks for MY2010 signed off and/or towards that (in LS case). I already pointed this out, so if it falls on deaf ears, oh well.

I really wonder why some folks continually struggle to know the difference between what a model year is and model's actual introduction. For me, I have made it as simple as MY (Model Year) - 1 = intro year, except in special cases (see 1998 LX470). The Lexus RX launched in March 1998, yet it was a 1999 model. By the end of 1998, the second generation was already in development and halfway through after 2 years since RX debut.
i definitely do not get confused between MY and introduction year. sorry but i always point to the model year, otherwise i think it only makes sense to state the month as well otherwise it could be just as confusing, but then to me that's too much details for what i care. when i said since 2007 i simply meant model year of 2007. yes i know there are plenty of exceptions including the 3gs (and other models), and even a lot of countries they define model year differently. but my life is too short for me to claim those details every time

i don't agree though we should "count" those development and leaked prototype years as well, i think that's only going to confuse more. everyone knows design cycles start way earlier, in fact when you see spy and rendering, that's probably a year or two into it already. truth is i have seen a full scale model (metal, NOT clay) of the w222 in person way back in late 2009, but i don't think it makes sense to say that the w222 is freaking 8+ years old already? that's just silly

Originally Posted by G Star
i did this exercise long ago but i dont' have that info now. how's the sales of w221 throughout the years? did it seriously dip down towards the end? i always felt that lexus is the only brand where models start to tip off more seriously as MY goes by
Old 10-13-15, 06:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

I would not be surprised either, but hope for the best. Other than the LFA, lately sometimes Lexus is caught penny-pinching in areas such as level of customization, packaging and equipment across regions. On the other hand, BMW IS is about to be eclipsed by another competitor in the near future, where they're not even expecting it.

well regions be regions, but a lot of thought went into TPS 2.0 (TNGA) to provide for more variation in TPS. They do keep adding options and variations even without new platforms... but for instance, one of the main points of TPS 2.0 factories was that shop can do different bumper for each vehicle on the line vs previous batch building.

Oh and do tell, who is the competitor? :-)

Always appreciate your posts btw!
Old 10-13-15, 06:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
they all kind of play this game to be on the higher end of sales, and maybe throw in some last minute tech to have that "edge" when released
realistically decision was likely made to wait for new platform and engines... such things are never developed in vacuum so to get all the latest tech, engines, lighter platform, they simply had to wait for 2017/2018.

If they decided to re-use old engines/platform/tech, then we would not have latest stuff in LS until 2025.

So, like Prius in Toyota world, LS will herald new platform, engines and technologies for Lexus... it will be first showing of new platform and likely new engines as well.
Old 10-13-15, 08:56 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i did this exercise long ago but i dont' have that info now. how's the sales of w221 throughout the years? did it seriously dip down towards the end? i always felt that lexus is the only brand where models start to tip off more seriously as MY goes by
That's the interesting thing. W221 sales were strong right up until the W222 arrived.
Old 10-13-15, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's the interesting thing. W221 sales were strong right up until the W222 arrived.
yup that's exactly my point, last i recalled the w221 was strong throughout the years even when ppl knew the w222 was coming. that's one thing i hope lexus can one day achieve -- consistent sales throughout model years. so far the trend most of the time is their cars sell very hot the first or second model year, then it starts to come down, sometimes quickly. they want more constant presence. like the 4gs, it was good the first year, then it drops off quick until lexus started throwing out super good lease deals and numbers pick up again. people can argue about value, but truth is i regularly see new gs on the roads. to me that's a good thing
Old 10-14-15, 01:20 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
if u guys want a 70k hybrid that gets 400 hp then just get a 2015 genesis 5.0. 42k for ultimate 5.0 plus 30k to spend on gas ! thats like free mpg !
We get it. You're the resident Hyundai shill.

FYI, I test drove the new Genesis when it launched in my country.

It's not even in the same ballpark as the GS in terms of seamless drivability, handling and smoothness, let alone the LS.

Try again when Hyundai has the product line to back your outlandish claims.
Old 10-14-15, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
It's not even in the same ballpark as the GS in terms of seamless drivability, handling and smoothness, let alone the LS..
I traded a GS on an LS and you couldn't be more wrong LOL. The Genesis is a great car, smoother and quieter than the GS, the V8 powertrain is more refined and smoother than the V6 in the GS. Its not a handler like the GS, its a ride biased car more like the LS which appeals to me. The ride and drive of the Genesis V8 reminds me a *lot* of my LS. Seeing that I own an LS and drive it every day, and I owned a GS and drove it every day...I'd venture to say my viewpoint on this holds some weight.

Why didn't I buy a Genesis? Had I decided to stay in that price segment I might have. The LS is what I really wanted and the opportunity to get one for a good deal presented itself so I took it. For me the only thing keeping me out of one of these luxury Hyundais is brand snobbery. As far as a car goes though, the Genesis is a great car and the Equus is a great car (albeit older). The new Equus will be really great I'm sure.

While he may be the "resident Hyundai schill" you're certainly the "resident Hyundai hater" as referenced by this opinion which has no basis in reality. If you come to these cars with an open mind, their benefits over traditional competitors for the price point are very clear.
Old 10-14-15, 10:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no kidding, hyundai has stepped up a lot and the genesis is a good surprise.
Old 10-14-15, 11:36 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But if comparing, please do LS with Equus or Kia K900, Genesis is not in the same segment.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)