Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

a lot of great points in the last few posts here (in both direction). a lot of food for thoughts
Old 10-15-15, 06:21 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

History is no indicator of future. That said, my opinion fwiw is that tiers are made up of vehicles that are cross shopped or in some cases a particular brand is the only one making up that tier.

As far as Lexus, MB and BMW are concerned, my experience with people who own them are that they want to look down upon the other. Lexus owners look down upon MB& BMW for history of poor reliability in the last decade and half. MB owners look down upon Lexus as a copy cat trying to beat MB. BMW owners are snobs in that just don't want to look at anything else.
I don't know what it says about me as I happen to own all three brands right now
Old 10-15-15, 06:32 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people who can easily afford Tier 1 (defined by some as the German triad of MB, BMW, Audi/Porsche...though I would include Lexus in that category) make a conscious decision to buy Tier 2 vehicles because they prefer understatement over what may be viewed by others as "conspicuous consumption". This behavior is also a form of proactive defense..i.e..to avoid being a target of wealth-seeking opportunists. Or it's just simply living below one's means.
Old 10-15-15, 06:57 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The issue is that its meaningless. Consumers are looking at what is in their range, and unless they are really brand loyal (like I am, for instance) what matters to them most is the product and the value proposition. People do cross shop Lexus, MB and BMWs with Audis, Infinitis, Cadillacs, Acuras...and yes Jeeps and Hyundais and Buicks...and they make a decision to buy cars from the "tier 2" brands and even mainstream brands over "tier 1" brands every day.

As far as prestige, I live in a very affluent area, have owned a Lexus for many years and have interacted with people a lot wealthier and more brand conscious than me for a long time. There is no question in my mind that when it comes to brand prestige Lexus is still at a disadvantage compared to Mercedes and BMW.

I know a guy who just traded a C300 in on a GS350. Now the GS is a class above the C, $20,000 more. People would make comments about his C300 and its cost, etc all the time, nobody says a word about his GS.

Thats been my experience too. Very few times have I ever met somebody who reacted to or was impressed by my Lexus. Be it the ES, GS or the LS.
Lexus, MB, and BMW are not equal in their prestige and they are not equal within Tier 1, but they are all in Tier 1. Their ranking is like this:

Mercedes
BMW
Lexus

Tier 2 is:
Audi
Cadillac
Infiniti

Tier 3 is:
Acura
Lincoln
Buick

Other lux brands like Jaguar, Volvo etc... are too niche and their volume too small and irrelevant to warrant classification.

The higher up you go in price, the less likely cross shopping between tiers happens. People are more likely to cross shop between tiers at the entry level. But even at the entry level, higher tier brands usually win in volume vs. lower tier brands.

Also people seem to have short memories, Lexus just a few short years ago was on top of the world as far as both volume and prestige was concerned. The LS only lost its #1 best selling flagship sedan title to the S-class in 2011. They've slipped in the face of ageing models and freshly resurgent Germans, but they are positioned to gain much of that back in the coming few years.

I think the new Lexus LX stands to do very well and there isn't even a proper competitor for it from BMW.

It will be a litmus test for sure.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-15-15 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 06:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

I wish I could say otherwise, but I don't think Lexus is tier 1 either, at least not anymore.

The brand was, for sure, IMO, back in the 90s bc everyone was just blown away by them. Everyone wanted a Lexus. I remember when the old LS400 was virtually every other car on the road.
Old 10-16-15, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I don't know what it says about me as I happen to own all three brands right now
it means you're schizophrenic.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Lexus, MB, and BMW are not equal in their prestige and they are not equal within Tier 1, but they are all in Tier 1. Their ranking is like this:

Mercedes
BMW
Lexus

Tier 2 is:
Audi
Cadillac
Infiniti

definitely a north american perspective. europeans would not agree.
Old 10-16-15, 07:59 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it means you're schizophrenic.

definitely a north american perspective. europeans would not agree.
True. I do feel like that.

Regarding tiers, it is always market based, based upon regional perspectives and old wives tales.
Old 10-16-15, 08:47 PM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tier 1 would include Porsche, MB, Audi, BMW. Lexus is Tier 2 and is not making moves to move up, the vast majority of their sales (ES, RX, NX) are rehashed Toyota FWD platforms and should not be considered as true luxury vehicles. I would say that in the current state Cadillac is a bit closer to tier 1 than Lexus...and they are moving in the right direction.
Old 10-17-15, 05:11 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by malba2366
Tier 1 would include Porsche, MB, Audi, BMW. Lexus is Tier 2 and is not making moves to move up, the vast majority of their sales (ES, RX, NX) are rehashed Toyota FWD platforms and should not be considered as true luxury vehicles. I would say that in the current state Cadillac is a bit closer to tier 1 than Lexus...and they are moving in the right direction.
Another meaningless ideology- FWD not equals to Luxury. What a joke.
Old 10-17-15, 06:52 AM
malba2366
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Another meaningless ideology- FWD not equals to Luxury. What a joke.
It's not meaningless ideology...a FR platform with longitudinal engine allows for better handling, and better performance. They will have a better weight distribution which allows for better handling and braking, and they have a smaller turning radius. Ride quality is also inproved due to the better weight distribution.

This is the reason that all proper luxury vehicles (which includes the GS, RC, LS for the fanboys) are this type of layout. The only benefit to going FF is cost savings.
Old 10-17-15, 07:40 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Or you could just be the victim of marketing hype.
Old 10-17-15, 08:00 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

It's not meaningless ideology...a FR platform with longitudinal engine allows for better handling, and better performance. They will have a better weight distribution which allows for better handling and braking, and they have a smaller turning radius. Ride quality is also inproved due to the better weight distribution.
This depends on the context of what the car is being used for. In icy roads with poor traction, an FF car may prove to be more luxurious (not to mention life-saving) than an FR car that has slid off to the embankment and killed its passengers. Not all luxury cars are purchased with racing in mind.
Old 10-17-15, 08:55 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol you clearly don't know what the Tiers mean or are supposed to be.

And FYI ALL of Audi's cars are FWD based, not that that has much weight in the tier system.
Old 10-17-15, 09:04 AM
jzqj55
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jzqj55
The 2000 and earlier LS's were ground breaking
Clearly an outstanding value.
Since then, not much major progress

MB has clearly surpassed the LS in terms of all around luxury car performance w/ the current S550
(drive one, you'll know in an instant)
Yes, reliability is good, but it's only a part of why someone buys a car

We know the 2017 will have more HP, but is that what is going to open people's checkbooks?
For me, it's not more HP or lower profile tires (not good for potholes)

I have a few ideas on what would make me trade in my 09, what are yours?
Also curious, any current owners contacted on what they want?
No one is more likely to buy/offer opinions on your product than a former customer...

Yes, I've heard Hydrogen. I suspect not many of us want to go back for service for the techs to learn hydrogen tech on our time.
At the rate Hyundai is progressing it probably will be the winner in a few years. look at what South Korea has done in electronics. and those who have had to pay for repairs in a Lexus realize the value of Hyundais 100k warranty.

MB has clearly surpassed the LS in terms of all around luxury car performance w/ the current S550

We know the 2017 will have more HP, but is that what is going to open people's checkbooks?

No one is more likely to buy/offer opinions on your product than a former customer...

Yes, I've heard Hydrogen. I suspect not many of us want to go back for service for the techs to learn hydrogen tech on our time.
Doesn't sound like anyone on the site has been contacted by Lexus asking how they like their car or what changes they would like to see.
Seems like all of the future plans for the LS are made by product planners who don't and won't own one.
Appears it's only the lexus dealers who contact the customer - to the point of annoyance....

I would also like to see more from the air suspension for example being able to lift the car to a higher level. A huge reason for people buying SUVs is because of the superior visibility from being higher.

At the stage of the game they should be able to offer unnoticeable cylinder deactivation to improve Highway mileage

The new BMW 7 Series design certainly doesn't break any ground
I can see why folks with $ would go for the S 550. I suspect BMW fans are mainly entranced by the grill

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-19-15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-17-15, 09:43 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound like anyone on the site has been contacted by Lexus asking how they like their car or what changes they would like to see.
Seems like all of the future plans for the LS are made by product planners who don't and won't own one.
Appears it's only the lexus dealers who contact the customer - to the point of annoyance....
I agree. Ive been saying all along If they want to improve they have to let go of their "we know what's best for you" attitude and allow others to be able to modify & experiment. The mentallity reminds me of the old GM structure of management. Their isolated from the populace and don't hear feed back. Product planners & engineers who all they do is drive around a smooth oval track attempting to nail the sport handling down forget we here in America have some crappy roads and forever making the cars stiffer & stiffer isn't going to win with people. Lexus used to lead and now they just do patches in an attempt to catch up with rivals. "Oh, they've installed this so let do the same"

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)