Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

It's not the mid 90s anymore. Buicks don't have the 3800, and Cadillacs don't have the Northstar. In any event, that's a difference in specific power plants not something that indicative of differences in the brands as a whole. They're different marketing divisions of the same brand is my point.

In any event, we had a mid 90s FWD Cadillac...so I know of what you speak.
Old 07-04-16, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Cadillacs DO have "Buick reliability". Its the same manufacturer, theres no reason a Cadillac would be less reliable than a Buick or a Chevrolet or whatever. You have differences in what is reported, Cadillac is dragged down by complaints about the CUE system in JD Power reports, but thats one important thing to understand when discussing this data, the data is just a guideline. If someone chooses to buy a Cadillac over a Buick, they are not forgoing "Buick reliability". Its the same manufacturer.
Sometimes there IS a reason. The Opel-based/rebadged Buicks like the Verano, Encore, Cascada, and Regal are significantly more reliable than not only other Buicks, but most other GM products as well. That is because they use totally different, German platforms, hardware, and construction solidity than other Buicks like the Lacrosse and Enclave, which are essentially (primarily) American designs. The difference in reliability is clearly documented in Consumer Reports.

Same is true of Lexus and Toyota. Yes, Lexus is rated higher...but its the same manufacturer.
That doesn't necessarily mean they are built the same way. Lexus uses more quality control steps in their plants than Toyota does. It is one reason why Lexus products cost more. This link here describes some of them:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...der/10-Reasons

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-04-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's not the mid 90s anymore. Buicks don't have the 3800, and Cadillacs don't have the Northstar.
The 3.8 was an excellent powerplant, especially the supercharged version. It roots went back to the early 1960s, so it had a lot of engineering and perfection built into it over the years. Too bad one cannot say the same for the Northstar.
Old 07-04-16, 09:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes there IS a reason. The Opel-based/rebadged Buicks like the Verano, Encore, Cascada, and Regal are significantly more reliable than not only other Buicks, but most other GM products as well. That is because they use totally different, German platforms, hardware, and construction solidity than other Buicks like the Lacrosse and Enclave, which are essentially (primarily) American designs. The difference in reliability is clearly documented in Consumer Reports.

That doesn't necessarily mean they are built the same way. Lexus uses more quality control steps in their plants than Toyota does. It is one reason why Lexus products cost more. This link here describes some of them:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...der/10-Reasons

THANK YOU!!!!

People really need to do their research when it comes to buying a car, and not just assume that because its a Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, etc that it will be reliable. Every auto maker pumps out some turds, Toyota is pretty good about MOST of its products being reliable, but there are slip-ups.

The Lexus IS250 comes to mind as a turd product. 100 less horsepower than the IS350, gets the same gas mileage, and is subject to a carbon buildup problem in the combustion chamber which can lead to very costly repairs, including total engine replacement at low miles, less than 100k miles in some cases. Early 2000's Hondas/Acuras with the V6 engine come to mind(Oddessy vans, Accords, Acura TL), all of them have a very weak transmission that craps out at early mileage.
Old 07-04-16, 10:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am not buying the idea that the Verano is using parts that other GM North American products do not use. The Verano engines (not including the turbo) and transmissions are used within the GM family in North America. The vehicle is built off the Delta II platform, very similar to the way Toyota uses the same platform for both the Avalon and ES or the 200 series platform for the LC and LX570. Most of the chassis bits and pieces of the Verano and identical to the Cruze. I believe the infotainment software of the Verano is the same as the Cruze. The same beam torsion axle in the Cruze is also used in the Opel Astra for example and the Cruze has an extra cost option for the same rear axle from the Verano which is also an extra cost option in the Astra.

As long as the Cruze, Verano, Volt, Orlando, Cadillac ELR all come from the Delta II platform, then they are all related in some way to me. From the evidence that I have read, the Delta II platform was designed and engineered by Opel in Germany. This platform is the basis for all the cars that ride on it. It does not make fiscal sense for the Cruze to not be related to the Astra which is made into a Buick in North America. 4Runner/GX, Tahoe/Escalade, and Cruze/Astra

As for Buick being more reliable than the rest of GM, its hard to believe that General Motors can design and build a reliable Buick, but they can't make a reliable Chevy. It usually does not happen like this.
Old 07-04-16, 10:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

The Lexus IS250 comes to mind as a turd product. .
My sisters IS250 left her stranded. Now she has a new 325.
Old 07-05-16, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not buying the idea that the Verano is using parts that other GM North American products do not use. The Verano engines (not including the turbo) and transmissions are used within the GM family in North America. The vehicle is built off the Delta II platform, very similar to the way Toyota uses the same platform for both the Avalon and ES or the 200 series platform for the LC and LX570. Most of the chassis bits and pieces of the Verano and identical to the Cruze. I believe the infotainment software of the Verano is the same as the Cruze. The same beam torsion axle in the Cruze is also used in the Opel Astra for example and the Cruze has an extra cost option for the same rear axle from the Verano which is also an extra cost option in the Astra.
Fine. Believe what you want. I have owned one for four years. I know the car inside and out.

As for Buick being more reliable than the rest of GM, its hard to believe that General Motors can design and build a reliable Buick, but they can't make a reliable Chevy. It usually does not happen like this.
That's just it. The most reliable Buicks are NOT primarily American-GM design, but come from German platforms. That's one reason why I didn't purchase a LaCrosse.....despite its greater riding-comfort, I didn't think it was as well-built as the Regal or Verano.

And, again, I think we're getting off topic....the new LS and camouflage.
Old 07-05-16, 04:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sooo....

What about the LS?
Old 07-05-16, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Sooo....

What about the LS?
Yes...why does every conversation in Car Chat become about the Buick Verano?!? Should change the name to "Buick Verano Chat"
Old 07-05-16, 05:16 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

What's a Bucik Verano?
Old 07-05-16, 11:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

]
The 3.8 was an excellent powerplant, especially the supercharged version. It roots went back to the early 1960s, so it had a lot of engineering and perfection built into it over the years. Too bad one cannot say the same for the Northstar.
I'm a huge 3800 fan. Those had boatloads of torque and a decent top end, too. Lol I'll never forget my mom's 1994 Olds Silhouette (the DustBuster minivan)...that thing was so stinkin' fast. Would lay lines of rubber all day long. It wasn't even nearly the most powerful version of the 3800 (170hp/225lbft) but it got the van up to speed ridiculously quick and was just a solidly powerful motor. I should know, I used to sneak it out when I was 14. My mother drove it like a speed demon too haha.

I know it's ancient but I was sad to see it discontinued. Pretty much bulletproof engines.
Old 07-06-16, 12:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Getting back on topic, why has Lexus let this current LS go on for 10 years? I know Benz used to do really long production cycles, but not anymore. Since 2007 when the current LS went on sale, there have been 2 generations of S class, 2 generations of the Audi A8, 2 generations of the Jag XJ, 3 generations of the BMW 7 Series, and 3 different Cadillac models(DTS, XTS, and the CT6). With the way technology has changed in the upper end of the car market, Lexus has let themselves fall behind IMO.
Old 07-06-16, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Getting back on topic, why has Lexus let this current LS go on for 10 years? I know Benz used to do really long production cycles, but not anymore. Since 2007 when the current LS went on sale, there have been 2 generations of S class, 2 generations of the Audi A8, 2 generations of the Jag XJ, 3 generations of the BMW 7 Series, and 3 different Cadillac models(DTS, XTS, and the CT6). With the way technology has changed in the upper end of the car market, Lexus has let themselves fall behind IMO.
They've let it go on because the large luxury segment isn't as profitable as it used to be, and they've revamped basically everything else, developed the new GS/IS platform, created the RC and NX. Run the LFA. Totally reworked their styling dynamic.

The sales leader in the segment sells 1500 units a month now in the US, back in the day the LS sold 3000 a month, and it, the 7 and the S all jockeyed around that same sales figure. The segment is about 35% of what it once was. Best case scenario an all new LS can do 1,200 units a month. Absolute best case.

It's just not as important a car as it used to be to Lexus.
Old 07-06-16, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's just not as important a car as it used to be to Lexus.
Well, it's still a superb luxury car, important or not. The LS, though, like many other sedans, seems to be falling to the rise of SUVs. SUVs, like it or not, are taking over the planet......especially with relatively cheap gas.
Old 07-06-16, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes...why does every conversation in Car Chat become about the Buick Verano?!? Should change the name to "Buick Verano Chat"
I agree it sometimes gets out of hand. But, in all fairness, can't always blame it on me. I'm not aways the first to bring it up.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)