Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 08:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you mean a later version of the IS? The original IS300 (I owned one) came with either 5 or 6-spoke alloys, depending on tire-package...not the 10-spoke wheel you show here.
Yeah I believe only the SportDesign Editions had those 11 spoke wheels
Old 07-29-16, 01:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, the old cat-and-mouse game of digsuising-while-testing goes on forever, but it's unusual to see it carried out to that extent.
The camo is not that bad except for the lights.

I still fairly believe this is the next gen ES, the rear tailpipes folding inwards underneath hint at the lack of a differential, Lexus will be sure let everyone know that the next gen ES was built in the US and perhaps even designed.
Old 07-29-16, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Well I believe it's a Chevy Impala then. Apparently they've made that RWD too.
Old 07-29-16, 06:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The camo is not that bad except for the lights.

I still fairly believe this is the next gen ES, the rear tailpipes folding inwards underneath hint at the lack of a differential, Lexus will be sure let everyone know that the next gen ES was built in the US and perhaps even designed.
If what you say is correct (and, though I respect your opinion, I have my doubts), then the next ES is going to be significantly larger than the current one. I just don't see that happening.
Old 07-29-16, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If what you say is correct (and, though I respect your opinion, I have my doubts), then the next ES is going to be significantly larger than the current one. I just don't see that happening.
It makes no sense. The LS has already been out in a test mule in much of the previous LS body, this car is the actual new LS body which is a natural progression, as you said it's too big to be the ES, as others have said its clearly RWD, and the big brakes would suggest the LS. Plus there has been no chatter at all about a new ES, the current ES is only 3 years old, and just came through a refresh.

What is more likely, that this is some very early surprise RWD ES we have heard absolutely nothing about and would be uncharacteristically early or that it's the new LS which we know to be under development and being tested out on the road?

Plus, Autoblog is a pretty reliable source.
Old 07-29-16, 01:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Just the length of the test mule alone is enough to debunk the ES idea. Look how long that hood is! There's no way an ES would remotely get that big. The ES was just facelifted and test mules do not surface that quickly in a life cycle.

As far as those rims, they are similar, but not the exact same as what the special edition, "Thundercloud gray" IS300 had. Those on the mule have a deeper center.
Attached Thumbnails Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-thundercloud.jpg  
Old 07-29-16, 03:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

fingers, toes, and arms crossed that they dont mess the design up. The Spindle grille is polarizing to say the least ( although I like it ) and what they called a new LS a few years ago was a joke. Its was a refresh at best. They have been soooooooo far behind the S class and 7 series for soooooo long now that they need to blow they away. I loved my LS460 but when you see the new S class it was a big Avalon when compared to the newer S class . Lexus always seems to miss with the F line up, and Im hoping they really blow the industry away with their new and severely overdue luxury flagship
Old 07-29-16, 09:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And why don't you see that happening? The current generation ES grew much larger than the 07-12 model. And the current model is about 7 inches away from the current LS length. It already is close in width, track and height. The German flagship models and deleting the short wheel base version (so I have heard) so I imagine Lexus may follow as well. That would open up the perfect place for the ES to grow in size to the current LS size. It would actually benefit Toyota big time to increase the size of the ES and Avalon as the new CAFE rules take the footprint of the car and use that square footage to determine what MPG is must meet. I could see the ES growing and having just one larger size LS model.
Old 07-29-16, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And why don't you see that happening? The current generation ES grew much larger than the 07-12 model. And the current model is about 7 inches away from the current LS length. It already is close in width, track and height. The German flagship models and deleting the short wheel base version (so I have heard) so I imagine Lexus may follow as well. That would open up the perfect place for the ES to grow in size to the current LS size. It would actually benefit Toyota big time to increase the size of the ES and Avalon as the new CAFE rules take the footprint of the car and use that square footage to determine what MPG is must meet. I could see the ES growing and having just one larger size LS model.
Lexus already has the GS that takes the spot you are discussing. It's not going to happen.
Old 07-29-16, 09:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Lexus already has the GS that takes the spot you are discussing. It's not going to happen.
GS and ES are two different classes of vehicles. One is not the replacement for the other one. And the ES is already longer than the GS anyway

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-29-16 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 09:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The ES doesn't need to be any bigger than it is. The FWD setup gives it room very similar to the SWB LS with an overall smaller package, which is a good thing not a bad thing. That 7 inches makes a difference, the ES is a good bit easier to maneuver than the SWB LS, let alone the LWB LS.
Old 07-30-16, 01:50 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

glad they got rid of the hunchback
Old 07-30-16, 02:25 AM
xinorin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't those the same rims from the LC500 test mule which also came from a BMW?

Old 07-30-16, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by xinorin

Good call xinorin
Old 08-03-16, 03:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll keep an eye out . Ford , Toyota, Volvo, and many others test at a facility near my office . I see test mules all the time . Just saw the new S 90 Volvo testing yesterday . I am the one who caught the GSF in Az While It was being developed

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)