Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 06:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm paying $300-400 a month less in a lease payment for my LS than I would have anything else in the flagship class except a Jaguar XJ, which is also quite old...that's a lot of money.
luxury is usually less about 'good value' than an emotional impression.

surprisingly, i noticed on motorweek's review of the new Genesis G90, they compared it to S,7,A8, and said it's above the next tier which they defined as LS and CT6!

as you know, the LS is a wonderful car to drive (smooth, quiet, refined, efficient, very comfortable), but it's just old compared to its competition now.
Old 10-04-16, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

merged various new LS threads.
Old 10-04-16, 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

surprisingly, i noticed on motorweek's review of the new Genesis G90, they compared it to S,7,A8, and said it's above the next tier which they defined as LS and CT6!

as you know, the LS is a wonderful car to drive (smooth, quiet, refined, efficient, very comfortable), but it's just old compared to its competition now.
The current LS460 is behind the times big time compared to Mercedes, Audi, and BMW, I would probably say the new Genesis G90 is on par or exceeds the Lexus LS460. I think eventually there is going to be another sedan that slots between the Eclass/Sclass, 5series/7series and A6/A8. Perhaps this will be an electric car type model or something along the lines to compete with Telsa.

Where the next LS goes is anyones guess right now. I do think that Lexus is going to try to move the starting MSRP to around $90K which will put it ahead of the Genesis and closer in line with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.
Old 10-04-16, 03:22 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ I would prefer that Lexus keeps their current pricing. Moving the price up does nothing for the brand (cough* LFA *cough). By keep the price the same or slightly higher is actually better for Lexus. They'll be pulling customers away from the Koreans and the Germans. Moving the price up, would make them on par with Germans, which makes it harder for some people to make the final decision.
Old 10-04-16, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I was responding to "why would anybody buy an LS", value is a big part of why. It always has been for the LS, but especially now.

If value had as little impact as you imply, Lexus wouldn't exist. There would be no market that Genesis and Cadillac are trying to sell to. Value matters more than you think even when it comes to luxury cars. 40% more is a lot lol

I would agree the LS is a little bit below those cars, and I argue it kind of always has been alongside the XJ. Remember those 3 only come LWB now. The CT6 is a class below them though.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-04-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 04:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
It would've only been sad if Lexus didn't have a plan and actually released a brand new LS and still failed. They very obviously delayed the LS by several years. Its very 'long game' type thinking, wait several years while refreshing the current LS again to debut the new LS when the time was right.
what does this even mean???

Are you telling me this is grand plan of Lexus executives - "ok listen up our LS460 is a lead seller in its class and we are going toe to toe with Sclass for thousands less. How about we dont update platform or engines for at least 10 years, make our flagship irrelevant - that will show those damn Germans, oh and forget those pesky Koreans trying to rip us off with that Equus!"
Old 10-04-16, 04:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Are you telling me this is grand plan of Lexus executives - "ok listen up our LS460 is a lead seller in its class and we are going toe to toe with Sclass for thousands less. How about we dont update platform or engines for at least 10 years, make our flagship irrelevant - that will show those damn Germans, oh and forget those pesky Koreans trying to rip us off with that Equus!"
Didnt somone say that this was exactly the plan so they could introduce the LS on a universal modular platform similar to the new Prius. Even if they lost a couple of sales, the new product on the new platform would make them competitive and be able to be designed to fit the next generation of models on their lineup. Similar to the Volvo SPA, and VW MQB
Old 10-04-16, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, the #3 best selling car in the class is irrelevant? Funny you never seem to think the Audi A8 or Jaguar XJ are irrelevant...

The Equus? They hardly sold any Equuses.

And why do we keep harping on the old LS? It gets replaced with an all new car in about 11 months. The LS460 is the past, get over it.
Old 10-04-16, 06:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
^^^ I would prefer that Lexus keeps their current pricing. Moving the price up does nothing for the brand (cough* LFA *cough). By keep the price the same or slightly higher is actually better for Lexus. They'll be pulling customers away from the Koreans and the Germans. Moving the price up, would make them on par with Germans, which makes it harder for some people to make the final decision.
If Lexus wants to be taken seriously with MB, BMW, and Audi, they need to move the LS up in MSRP. The LX570 quietly creeped from about 70K when it was introduced in 2008. 90K starting is not unacceptable IMO.
Old 10-04-16, 06:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You think it should start higher than $90k?! That would make it more expensive to start than any car but the S Class.

It will go up in price I'm sure, and there won't be a SWB model I'm sure. I'm guessing a starting price in the low $80s. Remember every car but the S Class starts in the 80s.
Old 10-04-16, 06:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Didnt somone say that this was exactly the plan so they could introduce the LS on a universal modular platform similar to the new Prius. Even if they lost a couple of sales, the new product on the new platform would make them competitive and be able to be designed to fit the next generation of models on their lineup. Similar to the Volvo SPA, and VW MQB
Lexus is supposed to have its own modular platform. Not sure if it is in anyway related to the modular platform that is used by the Prius. But same concept. . The LC is gonna be the first model from the platform.
Old 10-04-16, 07:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, the #3 best selling car in the class is irrelevant? Funny you never seem to think the Audi A8 or Jaguar XJ are irrelevant...

The Equus? They hardly sold any Equuses.

And why do we keep harping on the old LS? It gets replaced with an all new car in about 11 months. The LS460 is the past, get over it.
On a global scale its irrelevant as the Germans control this segment.
Audi A8 and Jag XJ sell well in Europe with diesels.....LS is a non factor there.

LS USED to be a top seller in the US but it relinquished that position due to their own stupidity. If they think the new LS will just reclaim its position, I would be very surprised.

There is a huge gap in sales between Sclass and LS - no matter what you say, and LS is not even 3rd anymore.
Also Sclass sells at a price of $30-50k more on average. Lexus better hope they can keep pace with new 7 at least when LS finally comes out.

11 months in auto industry is a LONG time and most likely it will be longer than that considering a real production model hasn't even been introduced at a auto show yet. Then you need ramp up time for production....

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-04-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

On a global scale its irrelevant as the Germans control this segment.
LS USED to be a top seller in the US but it relinquished that position due to their own stupidity. If they think the new LS will just reclaim its position, I would be very surprised.

There is a huge gap in sales between Sclass and LS - no matter what you say, and LS is not even 3rd anymore.
Also Sclass sells at a price of $30-50k more on average. Lexus better hope they can keep pace with new 7 at least when LS finally comes out.
But it has always been irrelevant on the global stage, that hasn't changed. Lexus and the LS specifically were designed for the US market.

It's not 3rd? What vehicle in the Class other than the 7 Series and S Class outsells it? Of course there's a huge gap, the LS is quite old at this point, it's the last year heading into an all new model which is overdue, and it's not really even in full circulation as many dealers don't stock them or more than a couple, but once the new car comes out it will do quite well I'm sure.

Lexus is doing just fine. It's a time of fundamental change for Lexus. They clearly decided to delay the new LS for a few years, but they've made a lot of other changes within their lineup that have shifted their position and selling proposition as a company. Their worth is not tied up in one model.

Look at BMW and what they chose to invest in the new 7 as an example of the influence that this segment has in their overall plan for the brand.

The industry is changing.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-04-16 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 07:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

But it has always been irrelevant on the global stage, that hasn't changed. Lexus and the LS specifically were designed for the US market.

It's not 3rd? What vehicle in the Class other than the 7 Series and S Class outsells it? Of course there's a huge gap, the LS is quite old at this point, it's the last year heading into an all new model which is overdue, but once the new car comes out it will do quite well I'm sure.

Lexus is doing just fine. It's a time of fundamental change for Lexus. They clearly decided to delay the new LS for a few years, but they've made a lot of other changes within their lineup that have shifted their position and selling proposition as a company. Their worth is not tied up in one model.

Look at BMW and what they chose to invest in the new 7 as an example of the influence that this segment has in their overall plan for the brand.

The industry is changing.
What is the big fundamental change except the new platform? It's reported that the LS will have the same old 5.0 V8 that the LC will use.
Lexus is not doing fine - all of their sedans are not selling, their coupes are not selling, their F line is not selling, they have no convertibles even! Their engines are 10 years old and their multimedia interface is considered to be one of the worse in the luxury segment.

BMW did a horrible job with the 7 imo - have you seen it on the street?
It really brought nothing new to the table.
Old 10-04-16, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What is the big fundamental change except the new platform? It's reported that the LS will have the same old 5.0 V8 that the LC will use.
Lexus is not doing fine - all of their sedans are not selling, their coupes are not selling, their F line is not selling, they have no convertibles even! Their engines are 10 years old and their multimedia interface is considered to be one of the worse in the luxury segment.

BMW did a horrible job with the 7 imo - have you seen it on the street?
It really brought nothing new to the table.
What's the fundamental change? Are you serious? Look at Lexus in 2010 and look at it now. They were a company focused on making bland reliable well made comfortable cars, and now they're polarizing, leading in handling comparisons, building cars with a ton more personality and soul then they ever did before. They've made a 180 in the sort of carmaker they want to be. Totally redefined what a "Lexus" is.

You focus on engines, but outside of older engines, these cars are fundamentally different than the cars they replace, and are worlds more interesting and dynamic. That takes energy, time and focus and it's not all done overnight. You'll find the next LS incredibly different than what an LS has ever been before.

It's not all about engines, way more to a car than just the engine.

Lexus sedans aren't selling. Again, where have you been? SEDANS are not selling in general. Everybody's sedans are just as down as Lexus sedans. Like I said, the industry is changing...that's why BMW did such a "poor job" with the 7 and that's why Lexus delayed the LS...these cars just are not as important to the brand as they used to be.

And not only have I seen the 7 on the street I've driven it. It's a very nice car, not groundbreaking and I'd rather have an S Class, but it's a fine entry...#2 in the segment.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)