Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 05:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks like a cross between Infiniti Q70 and Hyundai Genesis.

After 11 years since last redesign, this is a bit underwhelming.

Turbo 3.5 V6 with 415 hp is nice but the competition all have twin turbo V8s

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/09/2...o-v6-redesign/

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-09-17 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 05:53 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The rear is the biggest issue..... When I look at the rear all I'm seeing is Nissan Maxima

Old 01-09-17, 05:54 AM
evident
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

I think it looks good, but not flagship good. I think this woulda been a homerun if it was the next gen gs.

hoping to see that tt v6 in every Lexus car now though. It's way overdue!!!

Last edited by evident; 01-09-17 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 05:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Power is pretty similar though, 415 vs. 449 for the S550. Looks like it'll come down to weight. I hope they come through with a v8 option.
Old 01-09-17, 05:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Article on Lexus Enthusiast with a ton of pics including interior shots. Interior looks a bit busy with all the lines, but I like it a lot more than I like the exterior

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/01/...-lexus-ls-500/
Old 01-09-17, 06:12 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I was wrong about the 5 liter V8. Talk about disappointing. At this price range, people really aren't overly concerned about a few MPG and the "V8" cachet will outsell this in itself from the competition.

It also looks like a Infiniti to me, especially the rear.

The instrument cluster looks like a periscope.

Well, that answers that. Im either keeping this or getting something else. It's too bad.

The LS has officially turned into the Acura RL.
Old 01-09-17, 06:21 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmao at the overreactions - especially the RL comment!

C&D has some really good pics - http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Old 01-09-17, 06:30 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Lexus' current design language flows so nicely in person. It's often not translated through photos that well. I think the LS is going to follow that same trend.

IMO though, it looks as though the LS is a more mature ES (in styling), and is more fluidic than the somewhat muscular IS and GS. It looks as though Lexus has two distinct design lines with regards to their sedans.
Old 01-09-17, 06:32 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Default New LS460 comments

Saw pictures of the new LS460, I think it looks very sharp with the FSports and triple beam Leds. What do you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-photo222.jpg  
Old 01-09-17, 06:33 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time Lexus has the opportunity to up the ante and deliver a knock out blow they fold !! First with the RCF, then the GSF and now this! I was excited to see what Lexus had in store for the LS and I can say that all the anticipation was for nothing. Whats class leading about this? V6? but why? S-Class inspired dashboard? why? This car cant compete with the Germans in my opinion. Were designers just lazy and just decided we will not be class leading and just copy the Infiniti and Hyundai designs? Its not bad and its definitely not good. WHAT THE HELL? sums it up for me best!!!!
Old 01-09-17, 06:37 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't know what the drama is all about. Oh wait yes I do. There will always be the overreactions in the beginning, all normal.

The LS looks very Japanese and sporty. Exactly what those who have been following the LS are expecting. Its not like most of you didn't see the concept before....

Lexus is digging their feet in the sand, doesn't appear the spindle is going anywhere anytime soon, at least for another full generation of vehicles following the LS.

Last edited by G Star; 01-09-17 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 06:51 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The car is obviously lowered in all of the press photos. I can't even begin to think what it will look like with their signature 4x4 stance.
Old 01-09-17, 06:52 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

So I've been reading all of your response, and oh man all the hate is unreal, first off I love the current ls but the new one blows the current one out of the water so badly, and coming to Germans I personally think it's looks better than all of them and that interior is just something else, if this is what all of there new interiors will look like Lexus oh man I can't wait. And imho it's exceeds the s class and 7 series. And Acura rl comment was way to harsh. I'm very impressed. Can't wait for the lease on my es to end.
Old 01-09-17, 06:53 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The car is obviously lowered in all of the press photos. I can't even begin to think what it will look like with their signature 4x4 stance.

To be fair, Lexus has shown discipline in sticking to their new mantra of being emotional, sexy, sporty, different/radical. What makes you think they want to keep the signature 4x4 if they are obviously trying to change everything else?

Originally Posted by imrankh24
So I've been reading all of your response, and oh man all the hate is unreal, first off I love the current ls but the new one blows the current one out of the water so badly, and coming to Germans I personally think it's looks better than all of them and that interior is just something else, if this is what all of there new interiors will look like Lexus oh man I can't wait. And imho it's exceeds the s class and 7 series. And Acura rl comment was way to harsh. I'm very impressed. Can't wait for the lease on my es to end.
Its called piling on, an internet phenomena rooted in group think. lol
Old 01-09-17, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think you guys are being a little harsh lol.

I'm not sure what everybody was expecting? To me it looks like the concept restrained into the confines of what is reasonable to expect 60+ year old men to want to drop $90,000 on. The interior looks to be incredibly high quality, there are a lot of new design themes for Lexus in a production car outside of the LC. Surprised that Lexus chose to use the trackpad controller vs the mouse, so much for the idea that the mouse would remain on "legacy" models. I see unique touches in speaker grilles and things instead of mimicking the stainless look everybody uses. Disappointed the swath along the vent line in the dash is not wood, but material quality looks really excellent, everything looks to be covered in stictched pleather or leather.

In person the car will look much better, as all Lexus models do. The size of it will dispel any similarity to a Maxima or anything like that.

What troubles me most is that we have a 3.5L V6 in an "LS500". To me that just shows Lexus knows the embarrassment of having only V6 power in that they were afraid to own that and stick to their historic model nomenclature. This should be an LS350t. Its like the factory swapped the badges like some poser. They should have dropped the numbers altogether and just called it "LS" if they didn't have the courage to own the V6 choice. How does it make sense to have a 5.0L V8 LC500 and a 3.5L TT LS500?!?

Will I buy one? I'd buy the car yeah, I like the looks of it and the interior. Will I be able to deal with no V8? Thats the question. Will it start in the high 70s and be available well equipped for mid 80s? If so...maybe. If its going to be priced like V8 entries than no.

IMHO this is a huge improvement over my car everywhere but the drivetrain. We'll see how it drives, if it stays on the luxury side of things or if it rides more like a Jag XJ.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)