Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 07:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It seems like they took extra care to refine the engine for NVH by strengthening the engine block and such. The rear is a little understated in the car compared to the front, but overall I like it. It is not as garish as the GS and IS and it has been refined to be elegant yet aggressive at the same time. The interior is just plush and well designed. Between this and the LC, it instantly made the rest of the Lexus line up seem even more drab and even more outdated. I can't wait to see what the future models hold for the rest of the lineup. I doubt both turbos will make it to the GS and IS. I see the GS, IS and GX getting a single turbo V6. RX and ES will stick with the NA 3.5L V6. The next LX will most definitely get the Twin Turbo V6. Exciting times.
Old 01-09-17, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I will wait till I see it in person before I make a finally judgement. From the pics and press release, I am not sure this LS is going to homerun with current Lexus buyers but at the same time it is not horrible. It is nice to see that Lexus finally has a new design replacing the outgoing model that stuck around 5 years too long.

I do like the that Lexus is mentioning Japan a lot in their press talk. I like that they mentioned Japanese lanterns as the influence for the ambient lighting etc etc. It is also exciting to hear that the new 3.5 is Twin Turbo and it trumps the outgoing engine in both power and torque.

I think there is more not to like than there is to like. The overall exterior looks like they sort of copied a number of cars but still could not decide on their own design theme. The interior seems to be a busy mess with a lot of strange things. Why is there so many double stitches on the door panel? Yet the drivers seat has just singe stitching. The buttons on the center of the dash seem to be a major let down. The floating center console seems out of place. Also Lexus has changed the sunroof design to sit out on the roof than retract and hide into the roof.

All that said, I think this will do better with buyers outside of the Lexus brand than people expect. It appears to be designed for those who are not familiar with Lexus. Quickly reading the comments on forums like Motor Trends, Carscoops and Car & Driver, the comments seem to be more positive than I was expecting.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-09-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 07:55 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The comments are extremely positive. Some are saying it's better than the Germans. And I agree.
Old 01-09-17, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yeah, it's tough to describe and neither is bad, it's just a different execution - kind of like how those old BMWs had soul when they lost a bunch of objective measures in head to head comparisons To be honest, it's probably more familiarity than anything else.

90% of the buyers of this car won't care of they have a TTV6 or V8 in there anyway
Agreed, the new 3.5 TT is a hell of a lot faster than the outgoing 4.6. I don't think most people are going to really care.
Old 01-09-17, 07:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Only thing that I don't really like about the interior are the Frankenstein bolts on the driver's side cluster. I get it in the LC, but on the LS? Looks out of place
Old 01-09-17, 07:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
This is like the Cadillac CT6 or whatever it's called. A cop-out. Who wants to spend $90k (assuming that's what it costs) on a V6 engined car when you can spend nearly the same on a nice V8?

The only way this thing sells imo is if it's priced $70k. In fact it should be less. However, the catch-22 of this is that it greatly cheapens the model.
R35 GTR has been doing well and it was a $90K "V6" car

Different class of car but people are embracing TT V6 as replacements for V8's. I'm sure the LS-F if there is one will be a V8 or TTV8 who knows.
Old 01-09-17, 07:58 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good inside and out better than any Cadillac or Audi A8, not sure about vs Mercedes-Benz S-Class or BMW 7-Series though.
Old 01-09-17, 08:00 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

A8 is the last large sedan waiting on an update right?
Old 01-09-17, 08:05 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Looks good inside and out better than any Cadillac or Audi A8, not sure about vs Mercedes-Benz S-Class or BMW 7-Series though.
Your right about the caddy and Audi, now in terms is s and 7 its matches the s and exceeds the 7, the 7 is the most boring flagship interior, let alone interior.
Old 01-09-17, 08:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The front is the only part I like, the rear is meh, and I thought the side view even with its more coupish profile looks a little ungainly.
I find the interior to appear quite high quality, but no wood on dash or do we need clearer pictures? I don't like the design of the front dash ......
Old 01-09-17, 08:13 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Do we know the dimensions yet? How does it compare to the outgoing model? Anything grew in size ? sorry @ work, can't really do any major searches like that lol
Old 01-09-17, 08:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Do we know the dimensions yet? How does it compare to the outgoing model? Anything grew in size ? sorry @ work, can't really do any major searches like that lol
one inch longer than the current LWB model in overall length IIRC ........
Old 01-09-17, 08:20 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very beautiful car.

The interior lacks some of the details the German flagships have, but overall a very solid effort by Lexus that was several years overdue.
Old 01-09-17, 08:24 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol. you guys are hilarious. I understand as long as our fingers are not equal, everyone can't be pleased equally there would always be a disagreement. I think its a marketing strategy to push people towards the LC, or better yet just like we have an LC500h with a V6 engine so why not an LS500 with a V6 engine. I don't think Lexus would get rid of a VA in an LS car. so what I expect is a more powerful VA with a new nameplate maybe an LS550, 600 or something. One thing I doubt is that there would be an LSF.
Old 01-09-17, 08:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

normally im against turbos but in certain vehicles like trucks and large sedans i can live with. But stay out of my sportscars

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)