Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 09:53 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah that's one thing Lexus fails to understand is that having that huge V8 makes the lesser models more desirable. That's why it just blows my mind away they didn't offer the V8 as well.

If they price it too high, hardly anyone would buy this thing. $90k for this? Yeah no thanks. Price it too low and really cheapens their "flagship" sedan to RL levels.

By them leaving the V8 out was a huge mistake and notches the LS down a few ratchets on the luxo-sedan ladder and pecking order imo.
Old 01-09-17, 09:57 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Hands down the best iteration of the spindle grill to date.

I think what Lexus is doing here is that they are looking deep into the future to the trend that we will not be using large displacement engines. Mercedes did the same with the new E class only offering a 4cyl turbo. Perhaps Lexus is going to debut the hybrid version later this year, and maybe even fuel cell as the rumors have suggested. This may all seem foreign now to a group of people who love driving, but I think we will learn to accept it maybe 3-4 years from now.
Old 01-09-17, 09:58 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah that's one thing Lexus fails to understand is that having that huge V8 makes the lesser models more desirable. That's why it just blows my mind away they didn't offer the V8 as well.

If they price it too high, hardly anyone would buy this thing. $90k for this? Yeah no thanks. Price it too low and really cheapens their "flagship" sedan to RL levels.

By them leaving the V8 out was a huge mistake and notches the LS down a few ratchets on the luxo-sedan ladder and pecking order imo.
What about it isn't 90k worthy to you? It's much better then the a8, 7 and on par with the s
Old 01-09-17, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
You guys are giving the car way less credit than it deserves, if the v6 provides more power and Lexus claims it's just as refined what's the big deal?, and in terms of cars themselves the 7 series is garbage compared to the new ls.
I give the car a lot of credit, I've had 3 LSs. I however want a V8 and believe the car should have a V8. It's not about power.

The new 7 Series is certainly not garbage, is a really nice, well made car. Is the new LS better? I'll have to drive it and see.

Come to think of it most of the 7s I see are the 750...

I wouldn't call the CT6 a flop. Sales figures are pretty good.
Old 01-09-17, 10:02 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I do think the worst part is the dash design and the instrument cluster. The sweeping dash looks like it was inspired by the avalon with that ledge along the front vents. And the instrument cluster looks very small and tight, claustrophobic even. And lastly, not sure what is going on with the secondary display to the right of the nav with sweeping lines. Is that a static image or can that be used to display information?
Old 01-09-17, 10:10 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would struggle. At $90k there are a lot of other options, if I'm going to have to downgrade to a V6 anyways I would likely consider a 740. The other factor is deals, you can get $10k+ off of a 740 right now, $15k off of an S550. Does the LS come right out of the gate and get discounted that far? or do they hold the line on price and put the value in the MSRP?

The other thing to consider about the lack of a V8 is the business concept of price bracketing. The V8 exists to justify the V6. I think this is one reason why you saw a reduction in sales from the 3GS to the 4GS, the 3GS V8 rarely sold, but when you went to the 4GS with no V8 there wasn't that higher priced option there to justify the GS350, and we did see owners move to BMW and Mercedes (well if I can't get a V8 I may as well get the upgrade brand). Most of those people would have chosen the GS350 anyways had there been a GS460.

Lexus has to understand that a BMW 7 Series or Mercedes S Class are still considered an upgrade from the Lexus LS, they always have been...and from a brand perspective they are also still a half step below.

Price bracketing is why the G90 V8 exists IMHO.
Very well put. This matches my feelings exactly. The other problem is when you wait 11 years for a redesign, you expect something completely fresh inside and out. Overall, this would have looked good if it came out in 2013. 5 years later and you can pick out the elements that match other cars. Overall look is Infiniti Q70 (which the Altima and Maxima have already taken elements), rear entertainment/seatback are from an A8, etc.

The overall styling does not look like a flagship, however, if it was priced to compete with A6/E/5 series like the OG LS', our views would change. This IMO will compete with the CT6/Continental/Genesis and price will matter.

It is still a step in the right direction, I am hoping the Japanese manufacturers could eventually put some pressure on the German and Korean offerings.
Old 01-09-17, 10:12 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Now I'm really curious about the pricing. If this thing is more expensive then the current model, say $80k base with that engine: flop. $90k optioned out just seems overpriced for that engine.

$90k base: super flop.

I would pay that for 471 HP V8, but I wouldn't touch this new one at that price with a ten-foot pole.

Seriously, who else who bought or leased a BRAND NEW LS would consider the new one at $90k? I won't. Would you Steve?

Not sure there are many brand new LS owners out there to begin with. At anything over existing prices and that count will shrink even more.
Why can BMW offer a nicely optioned 740i for $95k (C&D's long term test car for example) but Lexus can't? If this engine can back up then number in real world driving including fuel economy, then I see a winner. If it does back it up, though is the real question. The Lexus 2.0T had a bit of a rocky start...
Old 01-09-17, 10:14 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Why can BMW offer a nicely optioned 740i for $95k (C&D's long term test car for example) but Lexus can't? If this engine can back up then number in real world driving including fuel economy, then I see a winner. If it does back it up, though is the real question. The Lexus 2.0T had a bit of a rocky start...
Finally someone with the same view as me, and this is a better car then the 7 by a long stretch
Old 01-09-17, 10:15 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I do think the worst part is the dash design and the instrument cluster. The sweeping dash looks like it was inspired by the avalon with that ledge along the front vents. And the instrument cluster looks very small and tight, claustrophobic even. And lastly, not sure what is going on with the secondary display to the right of the nav with sweeping lines. Is that a static image or can that be used to display information?
It looks like accent lights IMO. Really large accent lights.
Old 01-09-17, 10:15 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I LOVE it.
Old 01-09-17, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think the reason for that is because Lexus does not actually have parity with BMW. We all like to say that it does, but in reality we all know that BMW and Mercedes are a half step above. If somebody asked you "which car has the most prestige, a BMW or a Lexus or a Mercedes", nobody impartial or with insight into the brand dynamics of the industry would say that Lexus does. They may disagree about whether BMW or Mercedes does, but out of the three, those two are the upper echelon.

I'm as big a Lexus fan as you will find. I spend hours and hours a day on here talking about the brand, I've owned one for nearly 20 years, I am a huge Lexus enthusiast. BUT...if I were going to spend $95k I would buy a 740, or stretch and get an S550. That has never changed, I've always been of that opinion.

I'm bummed about the V8, but I like the car a lot and I'm sure when it comes down to it and my lease is up and this is shiny in the showroom, I'm going to want it. But, price is important. I want it at $85k nicely loaded...$95k? No.
Old 01-09-17, 10:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
i personally only see the S550 and 750i models of the current cars on the road so 6cyl are not very popular in flagships just look at the flop Caddy CT6 has been.
Well we only get the S550 for now, so that makes sense. The V6 TT S-class is coming out at refresh team, while the Euro market will get the I6 TT.

Originally Posted by Allen K
A8 is the last large sedan waiting on an update right?
Yes- I've seen a prepro model and I really wish it looked like the Prologue concept. It's not anything special. Interior is unmistakably Audi and is touch screen everything. Even the headlight switch.
Old 01-09-17, 10:57 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Agree with SW15LS. Since getting my GS, I've been asked a handful of times, why not a 5 or an E. I doubt anyone would bat an eye if I chose a 5 over the GS.
Old 01-09-17, 11:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Well we only get the S550 for now, so that makes sense. The V6 TT S-class is coming out at refresh team, while the Euro market will get the I6 TT.
740i has been out for awhile and i never see them.
Sclass was available with hybrid v6 in last gen and i also never see them.
Old 01-09-17, 11:06 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dig it. Not really ever a fan of the stock wheels Lexus uses except on the F models. Nicer rollers would really up the look. If the turbo 6 delivers like the recent turbo 4 it will be a nice drive. We had a rental GS 2.0T sport package for a few days while our IS-F was in for service. I was really impressed at the power delivery and how the little engine pulled really well at highway speed, truly felt like a healthy v6. I can see the Turbo 6 doing even better, especially if it can rip of sub 5 second 0-60's in such a large car. Maybe in a year or two a twin turbo 8 will power the LC-F and LS-F, or least we can dream.

I have noticed allot of hatred cast on Lexus from this site recently. While I do not expect nor would want a site full of fan boys of everything Lexus does, people seem to by hyper critical. GS-F, trashed before anyone ever drove one, LC, trashed before anyone ever saw one in person, new LS, more of the same trashing and bashing. I can say that the current Lexus design language photographs terribly, and they all seem to look more cohesive in person. I don't have $90K+ I want to spend on a car, but if i did and I needed a larger sedan this would definitely be in the running, especially if it continues the Lexus quality the LS is known for. I look forward to checking out both this new LS and the LC in person.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)