Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 03:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

People are not bashing it but the design is unique and loss of V8 is a huge departure for LS considering it was powered by it for over 25 years and all of its competitors still offer one.
Old 01-09-17, 03:27 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
S550 has 449hp and 516lbft torque - Obviously the LS500 is not competitor.

will there be a TT V8 or is that only for future F model?
I suspect the LC-F if there is one will have more power you seem to want to bash this car yes the S550 has more power. Look at how many other cars in same class as IS, GS, LS have more power and are still competitors. If you're just using power as a bench mark then lexus lost in your mind. You've obviously moved on from Lexus based on your signature.
Old 01-09-17, 03:29 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I've owned a turbo, an MR2 turbo while in college.

Torque isnt the only answer. You can have 700 ft-lb turbo diesel with 300 HP in a 4000 lb car and it won't get to 60 fast. Just seems a bit misleading but again, we shall see.

Having owned a turbo and having been around more modern turbo Audis, having the engine fan run constantly after the engine is off, very loudly I might add, isn't too classy after hearing it first hand in an S7. That thing will run no matter what you do after spirited driving, especially in hot weather. I'm sure the battery, oil pump and fans aren't too happy after 75k miles of doing this.

I agree, no matter how hard Toyota tries, this thing will not be nearly as reliable as the existing engine lineups. Just too much pressure and more things to breakdown, expensively I might add.

Last edited by Rhambler; 01-09-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 03:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Not bad, but not amazing in my opinion. I don't care for the saggy window line, which is now trendy and the new Camry just got as well. And definitely don't like the guitar strings spanning across the dash. Does not look clean or classy.
Old 01-09-17, 03:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Ummm everyone on this forum is bashing the car saying it's not even close to Germans, but clearly they think otherwise so.... you guys might wanna reconsider your thoughts on this beast.
Nobody is bashing the car, I certainly am not. All I'm saying is that if they want the car to be a peer to other competing cars they have to offer similar power options. Mark my words, every BMW or Mercedes guy will bring up the fact that the LS doesn't have a V8 when deriding it compared to their preferred cars. All they had to do was offer the 5.0 V8 as an option, similar to what Genesis did with the G90.

Pretty much everything but that I'm happy with. Every time I look at the design I like it more.

Another thing is responses on places like Jalopnik have been VERY positive which is unusual.
Old 01-09-17, 03:35 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not bad, but not amazing in my opinion. I don't care for the saggy window line, which is now trendy and the new Camry just got as well. And definitely don't like the guitar strings spanning across the dash. Does not look clean or classy.
The "guitar strings" look very good to me, I showed the new ls to my cousin who has a Benz he said buy the new ls any day, and he put on par with the s class and he said the 740 is trash compared to it. And clearly German designers know they have serious competition now. Soooo
Attached Thumbnails Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-photo473.jpg  
Old 01-09-17, 03:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Im not bashing the car at all....the turbo V6 makes great power, hopefully it will sell very well.

My point was the S550 has a V8 thats on another level from the new Lexus V6.
LS currently doesnt have a direct competitor to S550.

Im not a customer in this class, hopefully not for another 20-40years. Lol
My father has had the LS430, LS460, 750i, XJL, and just got new S550.
So im aware of what this class of car represents and what the target demographic expect.
Old 01-09-17, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
The answer to this is torque. Turbos make lots of that and as they say... "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

This is why I think once people start driving these, the complaints of the missing V8 will likely be replaced with smiles.
Like I said earlier in the thread, it depends on the refinement....where V6 engines, though smooth compared to fours, are usually at a disadvantage compared to a properly-done V8. To that, one must also add the fact that the LS is not usually bought for winning drag races.
Old 01-09-17, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just saying, but you don't have to say everything else is "trash" when you like something. Its possible to like one thing the best, while still acknowledging the attributes of another thing.

If you think the 7 Series is trash you've clearly never driven one. Its actually a really great car with great technology. Style wise its a little too close to the outgoing car, but IMHO it actually turns my head more than the S Class does at this point. Admitting that the 7 Series is a great car doesn't diminish the LS.
Old 01-09-17, 03:42 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Let's give it some time maybe Lexus will surprise us with a v8 or a performance b8, which will suit this sexy car extremely well, but for Lexus's first true turbo charged engine the specs are quite good, I love the current ls but i just love this new one, I hope all of Lexus's lineup will get this treatment inside out. Looking forward to 3 years for my es lease to end
Old 01-09-17, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Keep politics out of if man damn. Trump will bring back the V8 because of his policies? Seriously come on Mike.
That depends on whether the CAFE standards get rolled back or not. It was not an attempt to inject the thread with politics per se. We were (and are) talking about WHY V8 engines are giving way to turbo and TT V6s....including the new LS in this thread. To address that question of why, among other things, some of the governmental actions behind it have to be included. Call it politics if you want..but it is simply discussing the thread.
Old 01-09-17, 03:51 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Im not bashing the car at all....the turbo V6 makes great power, hopefully it will sell very well.

My point was the S550 has a V8 thats on another level from the new Lexus V6.
LS currently doesnt have a direct competitor to S550.

Im not a customer in this class, hopefully not for another 20-40years. Lol
My father has had the LS430, LS460, 750i, XJL, and just got new S550.
So im aware of what this class of car represents and what the target demographic expect.
I agree. If this thing is priced @ $90k, anyone who can afford this car new is going to ask themselves, why not spend a bit more to get that Mercedes with the V8? That's also why the Mercedes continues to be the class leader.

Yes I'm bitter. I had every intention of sliding into a 2018 assuming it had the NA 5 liter and keeping it for ten years. That plan is dead now. I'm not going to spend that much for 29 more HP then what I have now from a V6 that has to breathe like it's a sprinting a marathon to move, with dumb loud fans running after I park it in the garage.

Not sure what im going to do now. May as well buy a damn German car again.
Old 01-09-17, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Keep the LS you've got.
Old 01-09-17, 03:53 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I agree. If this thing is priced @ $90k, anyone who can afford this car new is going to ask themselves, why not spend a bit more to get that Mercedes with the V8? That's also why the Mercedes continues to be the class leader.

Yes I'm bitter. I had every intention of sliding into a 2018 assuming it had the NA 5 liter and keeping it for ten years. That plan is dead now. I'm not going to spend that much for 29 more HP then what I have now from a V6 that has to breathe like it's a sprinting a marathon to move, with dumb loud fans running after I park it in the garage.

Not sure what im going to do now. May as well buy a damn German car again.
TBH you aren't just paying for More horsepower. The current ls looks incredibly dated compared to the one just showed, no comparison IMHO. There is nothing about the current ls which is better then this new one. This ls is giving me high hopes for the new es.
Old 01-09-17, 04:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
TBH you aren't just paying for More horsepower. The current ls looks incredibly dated compared to the one just showed, no comparison IMHO. There is nothing about the current ls which is better then this new one. This ls is giving me high hopes for the new es.
the GS, ES to have the same interior with of course ES going lower market and the GS having a similar layout and materials.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)