Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 04:10 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
the GS, ES to have the same interior with of course ES going lower market and the GS having a similar layout and materials.
I truly hope so. Cause to me the es has always been a baby ls.
Old 01-09-17, 04:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
CAFE....that's what they were thinking.
CAFE only effects Lexus with the new LS?

Mercedes seems to have been able to have a V8 standard in the S class with CAFE, BMW offered a V8 right off the bat with the 7 series. New Genesis G90 has a affordable V8 option right off the bat. The Lexus LC essentially has a V8 standard. It is likely at least in the US with a Trump administration that those ridiculous 50mpg+ CAFE numbers put forth by the Obama administration are going to be lowered to a reasonable level allowing automakers to still offer V8's, larger cars, and not by forced to rely so much on micro displacement turbo engines, electrics/hybrids.
Old 01-09-17, 04:17 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I like it, inside and out. Seeing all the concept pictures, we kinda knew it was going to look like, except for the front dash.

I have 3 questions

1. What happened to the rumor about hydrogen power?
2. Any tech showcasing like the auto park, hand gesture control?
3. Picture of the remote?

Last edited by GS3Tek; 01-09-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Yeah this is not about CAFE. Lexus is in a great spot with CAFE because they have Toyota.

As for tech, it sees pedestrians and drives around them
Old 01-09-17, 04:37 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
This I have to agree with. This car has way too many Infiniti-ish lines on it and frankly... Infiniti easily has one of the most polarizing design languages on the road today. I personally find them quite ugly and they need to tighen up all those bloated lines and shapes. It's a shame this design is reminiscent of what Infiniti is currently doing. =/

The tail lights with that drop angle on the sides instantly reminds you of Maxima and that's not helping the cause here at all. The bulging hood-to-fender line is VERY Infiniti. I wish that line was straight and not curved.

Otherwise I love it. Still need to see in person to pass final judgement.
What? I can't believe my eyes.

Dude, where did you come from? I have not seen you posting on here in ages. Good to see you back man!
Old 01-09-17, 04:57 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Dude, where did you come from? I have not seen you posting on here in ages. Good to see you back man!
Same thing I said lol.
Old 01-09-17, 05:11 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I said earlier in the thread, it depends on the refinement....where V6 engines, though smooth compared to fours, are usually at a disadvantage compared to a properly-done V8. To that, one must also add the fact that the LS is not usually bought for winning drag races.
If refinement is your biggest concern, rest easy. If any automaker has this down, it's Lexus. And when it comes to the LS, they don't screw around. I wouldn't be too worried.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

LOL I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up here.

Even tho I'm not as active as before and have been thru many makes and types of daily drivers, the SC is still there and still my favorite. It turns 25 this year (YES, twenty five years) and it blows me away that everything still works on it with minimal work required to keep her going.

Thread relevant info:

See guys? These numbers do matter! The engine has never been opened up since it was bolted together in Japan 25 years ago (Over ten of those years were turbocharged -- over double the intended hp). Let's see other makes achieve that without nickle and diming you to death. (or TT LS's! - heh)

In five years I'm eligible for Florida a "Antique" license plate.

I still poke around Car Chat every now and then. The obsession with cars has never waned so I don't wander too far.
Old 01-09-17, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSC
If refinement is your biggest concern, rest easy. If any automaker has this down, it's Lexus. And when it comes to the LS, they don't screw around.
I'm well-aware of that (I've owned, reviewed, and test-driven numerous Lexus products). But even Lexus can't change the laws of physics. All else equal, on a spark-fired, four-stroke gasoline engine, eight cylinders are going to be smoother than six, and six are going to be smoother than four. Yes, engineering tricks like balance-shafts, noise-cancellation, fluid-filled engine-mounts, thick underhood insulation-pads, etc.....help, but the basic laws of physics remain.
Old 01-09-17, 05:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This new LS will have its loyal Lexus fans and they will buy it, even with a V6tt. I mean it's plenty fast and I doubt anybody is going to accuse this vehicle of being the Slow Sally of the bunch in the segment. I'm sure it's going to match the S class for quiet refined ride. But after that when you look objectively... those who are not Lexus loyalists and who have the money to look at six figure cars want that little bit extra. In fact they demand it: V8, V8 twin turbo, V12 along with looks that are stunning and elegant at the same time. That's what gives the Germans their cachet.

Lexus had the chance to hit another home run here with the platform and the tech. This car is fantastic for its architecture - nearly 200 lbs lighter than the outgoing model. Dynamic and active suspension, rear steering, the interior quality and materials (with a couple of nits to pick). But then they missed the final thing with the exterior styling. They got it backwards. Went bold with the front and boring with the side profile and back. What's with that ridiculous messed up C-D pillar glass and side window profiles?

To me this segment of car requires some boldness and yet a little bit of restraint at the same time. That's where they messed up. I agree with others: too much Nissan Q here and also Buick LaCrosse. And then they stick that gaping cow catcher maw out front to frighten pedestrians who will be glad that you have that "drive around them" safety feature.

The final indignity is the "LS500" as has already been pointed out. Why would you keep that if you don't have a 5 liter motor under the hood or at least 500 hp?
Old 01-09-17, 05:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And this new engine blows the current V8 4.6 away in power, torque, MPG and provides outstanding vehicle performance. Even has better performance specs tham the 5.0 in the LC.
I don't see this being as smooth and/or refined as the outgoing UR V8, let alone the UZ 4.3 and 4.0. If there was one defining characteristic of the older LS cars, it was the smooth and refined engines.
Old 01-09-17, 05:53 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I find it interesting no one in this thread has commented about the lack of any "firsts" coming from the Lexus camp. I really expected this LS to debut with some features that really advanced the game yet...I got nothing.
Old 01-09-17, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I find it interesting no one in this thread has commented about the lack of any "firsts" coming from the Lexus camp. I really expected this LS to debut with some features that really advanced the game yet...I got nothing.
The pedestrian detection and reaction is a first AFAIK...
Old 01-09-17, 05:59 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I don't think anyone else has had a 24 inch HUD yet lol
Old 01-09-17, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was going to mention the HUD too.

Don't know if anybody posted this or if this will work, but this is the reveal video:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/images/me...0db95e5efa.mp4
Old 01-09-17, 06:03 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The pedestrian detection and reaction is a first AFAIK...
Several other brands have pedestrian detection, and the Mercedes E-class will move the steering wheel the required amount to avoid said pedestrian as long as it feels you beginning to steer that direction. I guess it's nice the LS will do the entire song and dance automatically, if that's how I'm understanding it works.

Originally Posted by laovo
I don't think anyone else has had a 24 inch HUD yet lol
Lol true. I wonder if other brands will follow suit, as I know there's mixed opinions on HUD from both the public and auto manufacturers. Meanwhile Jaguar/Land Rover is going full steam ahead with their augmented reality overlay.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)