Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 07:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
As I said earlier, perhaps it's because the V8 is a the sportiest motor in the arsenal and more appropriate for a GT/sports car. The V6 TT with its torque reserves is probably more fitting for a large luxury car.

That motor is light on torque though.
380ft/lb isn't light on torque for a NA engine. I think you meant to say its light on torque at low RPMs. Basically it loves to rev, which is more suitable for a sports car, but then the LC isn't light weight by an means so the low end torque of the turbo v6 might be a better engine, albeit without the glorious V8 sound.
Old 01-10-17, 07:24 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
You don't see many 15 year old Lexus either. 10 years of service is already much better than you'd get with a Benz or BMW, yet this fact doesn't hurt the #1 and #2 brands measured by volume. No one is looking at MY2002 vehicles and judging the worth of new cars by it, Lexus or otherwise. They are judging the reliability of that 15 year old car, and that's it. Humans are not so "long" in their decision making, as demonstrated experimentally by prospect theory economists.

What's with the unrealistic standard applied to this brand? If Lexus had put a NA V8 in this car, everyone would be complaining about how it can't match the output of its rivals (look at the GS-F complaints). If they put the RC-F V8 in it, they'd complain about it being too high-strung for a sedate sedan. If they put a TTV8 in it, we'd hear even more complaints about the high(er) price. With a TTV6, we hear worries about 15 yr reliability. This is silly.
God bless you. lol you can never please people there would always be complaints. race cars you want to hear them scream put a v8 in the LC. luxury sedan you want to enjoy your ride quietly without engine noise messing with your music but you still want to get to your meeting on time put the TTV6 in the LS.
Old 01-10-17, 07:26 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Except that reliability is part of what defines what a "Lexus" is.
who made the supra engine and what are people saying about that engine. who made the engine in the Lotus Evora that got supercharged to produce 400hp and that's from an old Toyota 3.5l engine.
Old 01-10-17, 07:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

whether a lexus ls is reliable after 10 years is totally irrelevant to its sales success. people buying/leasing a new LS want style, refinement, effortless power, extreme comfort and amenities, and a wow factor. while we can nit pick this new LS most likely delivers on all fronts.
Old 01-10-17, 07:40 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really seeing the advanced groundbreaking features that Lexus promised. Look nice inside and out, but where's the advanced autonomous tech, updated nav interface (looks like old graphics to me) that Tesla/BMW/Mercedes are starting to employ? The steering around pedestrians is nice, but its doesn't really seem like an advanced technological car to me.
Old 01-10-17, 07:43 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, the engine choice, imo, makes the Mercedes S550 and BMW 750i and Audi A8 4TT in an entirely different league.

Sure, the existing LS was behind, but this move just ratchets down the entire model class in my eyes. Thats how I look at it. It's on league with the Cadillac CT6 or Acura RL sport hybrid; it's not in the same league in the Mercedes S, BMW 7 or Audi A8.

I don't care how big or "luxurious" it is inside. I'll forever categorize this thing with the Cadillac CT6 more so than any S class, that's for sure.
Old 01-10-17, 07:44 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I just realized that it's a sign of the times.
Out goes the old Toyota.
In comes the new Toyota - a greater reflection of Akio's more "inspired" styling, and more inspired dynamics.

Sales of Prius have fallen already.

Traditionally, all new LS models have debut "relatively" well compared to the Mercedes S Class. Eg:
1990 1LS sold 42,000 units.
1995 2LS 23,000
2001 3LS 31,000
2007 4LS 35,000
Only 1995's 2LS suffered because it was a bit of a major rehash of the original 1989 1LS.

It will be interesting to see how sales of 5LS and 2018 Camry goes.
If 5LS can't repeat the 35,000 units/year of its predecessor back in 2007, can 5LS match the slightly more expensive S Class' 2014 effort of 25,000 units?

The "old" Toyota:

The "new" Toyota for 2015-2020 with whacko styling.

Wait till you ride in Akio's new firm suspension for more spirited dynamics???
Hopefully they've softened the suspension like the 2016 6.5ES?

A great way for TMC products to sell well to the end of this decade.
Get your act together Akio.
Akio, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-10-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:44 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well, the engine choice, imo, makes the Mercedes S550 and BMW 750i and Audi A8 4TT in an entirely different league.

Sure, the existing LS was behind, but this move just ratchets down the entire model class in my eyes. Thats how I look at it. It's on league with the Cadillac CT6 or Acura RL sport hybrid; it's not in the same league in the Mercedes S, BMW 7 or Audi A8.

I don't care how big or "luxurious" it is inside. I'll forever categorize this thing with the Cadillac CT6 more so than any S class, that's for sure.
And what do you categorize yours with? Cause that thing is a dinosaur
Old 01-10-17, 07:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
380ft/lb isn't light on torque for a NA engine. I think you meant to say its light on torque at low RPMs. Basically it loves to rev, which is more suitable for a sports car, but then the LC isn't light weight by an means so the low end torque of the turbo v6 might be a better engine, albeit without the glorious V8 sound.
No, I meant what I said. I wouldn't want an NA V8 in the LS because the competition far outpaces it in terms of torque. As you said, it makes sense for the LC, not the LS.

Originally Posted by venom21
Not really seeing the advanced groundbreaking features that Lexus promised. Look nice inside and out, but where's the advanced autonomous tech, updated nav interface (looks like old graphics to me) that Tesla/BMW/Mercedes are starting to employ? The steering around pedestrians is nice, but its doesn't really seem like an advanced technological car to me.
Yep, that's what I was referring to earlier. Perhaps Lexus' integration of the whole driving experience will be its differentiating factor.

Originally Posted by Rhambler

Meh, I think this is a step too far. The Lexus LS will definitely be holding its own in the segment, despite the weaker powertrain.
Old 01-10-17, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogglo
who made the supra engine and what are people saying about that engine. who made the engine in the Lotus Evora that got supercharged to produce 400hp and that's from an old Toyota 3.5l engine.
You and I are in total agreement. Like I said I have do doubt Toyota can build a very reliable turbo engine.
Old 01-10-17, 08:58 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Right on Vladi, I like the driver gauges too but they should have done an understated Audi-style digital display. It's a screen after all, there's no need for skeuomorphic aping of older Lexus gauges.The steering wheel looks crazy busy for a luxury car. Looks like they jammed most controls on there. I'm not sure about the stalks on both sides of the driver display, I know it's a copy of the LFA design but it doesn't make as much sense on this car. I doubt the driver can reach the drive mode stalk while leaned back, compared to the old round dial near the gear lever.

And for those who want a high revving V8 in the LS, you're looking at the wrong car. The Panamera or Quattroporte fits that mold better and even those two have switched to forced induction for more torque. The LS hybrid could be disappointing if it uses the LC500h drive train without offering plugin capability.

Last edited by chromedome; 01-10-17 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 09:04 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Right on Vladi, I like the driver gauges too but they should have done an understated Audi-style digital display. It's a screen after all, there's no need for skeuomorphic aping of older Lexus gauges.The steering wheel looks crazy busy for a luxury car. Looks like they jammed most controls on there. I'm not sure about the stalks on both sides of the driver display, I know it's a copy of the LFA design but it doesn't make as much sense on this car. I doubt the driver can reach the drive mode stalk while leaned back, compared to the old round dial near the gear lever.
I really love Lexus's new company steering wheel that they have in most of their cars in the line up, but I really adore this steering wheel. I hope all of the cars get jt. Which the most likely will.
Old 01-10-17, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Generally the LS doesn't share components like the steering wheel with other models.

I like the new wheel a lot though.
Old 01-10-17, 09:15 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Seeing that they just put it into the LC, its going to be a while.

I wonder what the thought process was there, why not put the TTV6 in the LC as well...I'd say it wasn't ready, but its not like the LC is at dealers either...
LC is more of a performance focused car for the driving pleasure and feel and all other things you can add hence the V8 roar and that exhaust note. LS powerful but still quiet and refined hence a TTV6. if they later put that TTV6 in any of their performance car they would have to go the GTR route by tweaking the exhaust note. maybe they would call on the guys in charge of the LFA sound tuning.
Old 01-10-17, 09:30 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

To be fair, the small instrument cluster and the horns are directly from the LF FC concept. also surprising is the door design, interior door panel design which is carried over, but executed better in the concept

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)