Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Little do they know the new s class is the most overrated car ever, now esp since every Mercedes looks identical. There's nothing about the s class that is best in class. You can get a class now and there you have a s class at half the price, very uninspired.
Why do you feel the new S-Class is overrated? Granted, the sheet metal and some of the trim parts have somewhat of a thin feel to them....especially for a car of that price. But, engineering-wise, it's hard to fault it. It is a true luxury car (something which, IMO, you don't find very often any more)...and, along with the Lexus LS, sets a benchmark in refinement, comfort, quietness, and road-manners.
Old 01-10-17, 05:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Little do they know the new s class is the most overrated car ever, now esp since every Mercedes looks identical. There's nothing about the s class that is best in class. You can get a class now and there you have a s class at half the price, very uninspired.
I`d hate to burst your bubble...but, you do know the same thing is coming to Lexus in the near future. Modular platform and design is what Toyota has finally begun with the LS. Hence why after the LS, all new launches are coming off the exact same modular platform and exact same interior with watered down components. Anyways we have not seen price so its hard to tell how this will stack up. If its priced in the high end S class territory its going to be a tough sell. Regardless of how amazing the new LS is and how un S-class the new one is, the S class still exudes a sense of design that hasnt been matched by even the 7 series (which had some time to finesse their design). The best way in to full size luxury sedan buyers hearts is through their wallets at this point.
Old 01-10-17, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The S Class is not an overrated car. I've driven them all at length as a shopper in the segment, S Class is the king of the heap. Extremely well built, extremely elegant inside and out. Beautiful interior, best ride, quietest. It just excels in every area, and the price reflects that. Sales figures reflect that too, most expensive in class and best selling in class, which isn't an everyday feat.

It's more than I want to spend on a car, I don't see myself spending more than 85-90k or so, but if I were comfortable spending $100k, without question that's what I would buy.
Old 01-10-17, 05:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nothing new year. mb has always been about debuting the latest and greatest in their s class and then over the next few years trickle it down to the lower models. i am surprised that you made it sound like this is something new. if anything it has worked pretty well for mb. just look at the sales of the s class. at over 100k i think that's a very strong and solid achievement.

and i am also surprised that you haven't noticed the same thing going on with lexus too. it's a typical (and normal) industry trend. i am finding 2013-2016 LS items in my gs now, and only matter of time before some of the cool 2018 LS features get down to lower models.

preference is subjective and i have no problem with that. but saying the w222 is the most overrated car ever, i think you are not going to get huge support
Old 01-10-17, 06:06 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah Lexus made a mistake by not offering the V8 5 liter as an option. Even if doesn't sell as well as the V6 because it simply costs more, it would, in my opinion, make the LS as a whole more desirable.

How many people by the cheaper 740i just because it gives the same sense of that ultra expensiveness (at a distance) of its more capable 750i?

Man, introducing the LC with that engine and calling it 500, then a year later throwing out its four-door sibling LS with a V6 and also calling it a 500 was just dumb and confusing.

Who cares if that V6 is the future, there are many people who care less how much gas costs and would prefer that top-tier, top-shelf car no matter what. Look at all of the gas-guzzling SUVs flying off the shelves.

Also, that 3.5 liter V6, even with turbos, isn't exactly a stellar performer in MPGs. And you can't change the laws of thermodynamics. To reach that HP from the smaller displacement, forced-induction engine means it's gulping an equally lot of fuel as a big V8 just because of the extra air forced into that combustion chamber.

Lexus made a mistake. They needed that comparable mantle and offering only a V6 pulls the rug from under their feet.
Old 01-10-17, 06:44 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah Lexus made a mistake by not offering the V8 5 liter as an option. Even if doesn't sell as well as the V6 because it simply costs more, it would, in my opinion, make the LS as a whole more desirable.

How many people by the cheaper 740i just because it gives the same sense of that ultra expensiveness (at a distance) of its more capable 750i?

Man, introducing the LC with that engine and calling it 500, then a year later throwing out its four-door sibling LS with a V6 and also calling it a 500 was just dumb and confusing.

Who cares if that V6 is the future, there are many people who care less how much gas costs and would prefer that top-tier, top-shelf car no matter what. Look at all of the gas-guzzling SUVs flying off the shelves.

Also, that 3.5 liter V6, even with turbos, isn't exactly a stellar performer in MPGs. And you can't change the laws of thermodynamics. To reach that HP from the smaller displacement, forced-induction engine means it's gulping an equally lot of fuel as a big V8 just because of the extra air forced into that combustion chamber.

Lexus made a mistake. They needed that comparable mantle and offering only a V6 pulls the rug from under their feet.
I promised to be nicer this year so will just let this one slide
Old 01-10-17, 06:45 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I`d hate to burst your bubble...but, you do know the same thing is coming to Lexus in the near future. Modular platform and design is what Toyota has finally begun with the LS. Hence why after the LS, all new launches are coming off the exact same modular platform and exact same interior with watered down components. Anyways we have not seen price so its hard to tell how this will stack up. If its priced in the high end S class territory its going to be a tough sell. Regardless of how amazing the new LS is and how un S-class the new one is, the S class still exudes a sense of design that hasnt been matched by even the 7 series (which had some time to finesse their design). The best way in to full size luxury sedan buyers hearts is through their wallets at this point.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do you feel the new S-Class is overrated? Granted, the sheet metal and some of the trim parts have somewhat of a thin feel to them....especially for a car of that price. But, engineering-wise, it's hard to fault it. It is a true luxury car (something which, IMO, you don't find very often any more)...and, along with the Lexus LS, sets a benchmark in refinement, comfort, quietness, and road-manners.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
The S Class is not an overrated car. I've driven them all at length as a shopper in the segment, S Class is the king of the heap. Extremely well built, extremely elegant inside and out. Beautiful interior, best ride, quietest. It just excels in every area, and the price reflects that. Sales figures reflect that too, most expensive in class and best selling in class, which isn't an everyday feat.

It's more than I want to spend on a car, I don't see myself spending more than 85-90k or so, but if I were comfortable spending $100k, without question that's what I would buy.
Originally Posted by rominl
nothing new year. mb has always been about debuting the latest and greatest in their s class and then over the next few years trickle it down to the lower models. i am surprised that you made it sound like this is something new. if anything it has worked pretty well for mb. just look at the sales of the s class. at over 100k i think that's a very strong and solid achievement.

and i am also surprised that you haven't noticed the same thing going on with lexus too. it's a typical (and normal) industry trend. i am finding 2013-2016 LS items in my gs now, and only matter of time before some of the cool 2018 LS features get down to lower models.

preference is subjective and i have no problem with that. but saying the w222 is the most overrated car ever, i think you are not going to get huge support
I don't mean in terms of technology cause pretty much every brand does this weather it be Honda Lexus of Benz. I mean the cars look identical and it takes a second or thirds look to tell them apart. I really hope that Lexus does bring a lot of the new ls design cues to the es gs and is. Cause frankly I love it inside out, and yea I do still the s class is over rated. Currently you can distinguish a es gs and ls immediately. Not the same with Benz. And do get me started on the 7 it's the most plain Jane car ever inside out, that is a car not worthy of the flagship title.
Old 01-10-17, 06:46 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

It's competing with the 6 cylinder Porsche Panamera's, 330 to 440 hp ...... but porsche has a 550 hp Panamera turbo .
Looks like the new LS will have a hybrid model soon too, hope it is not the same lame one as the LC 500h ......
Old 01-10-17, 06:47 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time always shows the LS to be the better car.

While we wait for that truth to come out with the current S-class, we can make other comparisons, i.e. interior:

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-cwazhme.jpg
Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-julzs6y.jpg
Attachment 491990
Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-30emglt.jpg

Exterior:

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-spr74ib.jpg

Note the new LS joins the Audi A8 as the ONLY other car in the segment to offer a laser welded roof structure, the venerable S-class is still spot welded as per the rubber strip masking the spot welds:

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-9ytetbd.jpg

Personally I don't see why I would spend more money for the S-class, there is no compelling reason to get one over this LS. Both offer more than adequate performance, the Lexus rivals the MB easily on the interior, offers a more stylish exterior, is structurally superior, will likely be more reliable mechanically, just as if-not-more quiet and comfortable, and will still actually be worth something 10 years down the line.
Old 01-10-17, 06:49 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

While we wait for that truth to come out with the current S-class, we can make other comparisons, i.e. interior:

Exterior:

Note the new LS joins the Audi A8 as the ONLY other car in the segment to offer a laser welded roof structure, the venerable S-class is still spot welded as per the rubber strip masking the spot welds:

Man the ls imho is the way better car inside out. For sure, gonna be a hit for Lexus.
Old 01-10-17, 07:05 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior has really grown on me. Sure, some of the buttons aren't finished in metal like they are in the S-class or 7-series, and the lack of wood on the dash is out-of-the-ordinary; but it just looks so "expressive" with all the curves and different materials and stitch patterns being used. The interior has a personality per say. It sounds corny but the interior evokes emotions of being in a 5-star "Asian" themed hotel like a Mandarin Oriental or Shangri La.

The doors are very stunning, I love the large wood slabs. And the stitched leather beneath the seats is one hell of a fine option. It's something that's really only seen in the Panamera at this price point.

I'm a BMW guy but I'm liking this more than the new 7-series, which has really disappointed me with its "emotionless" design inside and out. It doesn't make you feel special whereas this new LS and the S-class do. I'm very impressed by Lexus here.

Last edited by BrownPride; 01-10-17 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Exterior:

Personally I don't see why I would spend more money for the S-class, there is no compelling reason to get one over this LS. Both offer more than adequate performance, the Lexus rivals the MB easily on the interior, offers a more stylish exterior, is structurally superior, will likely be more reliable mechanically, just as if-not-more quiet and comfortable, and will still actually be worth something 10 years down the line.
Well, that's your opinion. I have an LS, I've had 3. If you offered me a trade for the S Class, I'd take it. I don't keep cars for 10 years, I lease. Admitting that doesn't diminish my LS or how much I like it, I love it. But there's always another car, a better car out there. I just don't see any measure where the S Class is not a better car, other than projected reliability and cost. Reliability doesn't really matter to me because I lease, and cost, well that's why I have an LS.

The new LS looks great, obviously I haven't driven it yet but I would still take an S Class $ for $. That opinion hasn't changed, like I said I've felt that way about every LS we've had.
Old 01-10-17, 07:11 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that's your opinion. I have an LS, I've had 3. If you offered me a trade for the S Class, I'd take it. I don't keep cars for 10 years, I lease. Admitting that doesn't diminish my LS or how much I like it, I love it. But there's always another car, a better car out there. I just don't see any measure where the S Class is not a better car, other than projected reliability and cost. Reliability doesn't really matter to me because I lease, and cost, well that's why I have an LS.

The new LS looks great, obviously I haven't driven it yet but I would still take an S Class $ for $. That opinion hasn't changed, like I said I've felt that way about every LS we've had.
Can you give me a reason why? Is it cause of the Benz badge or cause it get you more respect? Cause let's call a spade a spade this new ls is way better then the s class.
Old 01-10-17, 07:16 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you give me a reason why? Is it cause of the Benz badge or cause it get you more respect? Cause let's call a spade a spade this new ls is way better then the s class.
Nah the S-class has some finer details like the metal finish of the switch gear and will likely have superior suspension and chassis tuning. Benz knows what they're doing, they've been running this segment for generations. And yes, driving a car with the lineage of the S-class is something special that no other vehicle in the world can provide. It's like bandwagon sports fans liking the Packers due to the history of excellence within the organization that continues to this day.
Old 01-10-17, 07:18 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
(Respectfully)....did you care to answer? I'm waiting.
Ok it's overrated because, first off people praise only cause of the badge and to earn respect, second the design is very generic and imho bland, and the interior is nice but not excellent for it to take the crown in this segment for sure. And now that they all look identical why shouldn't you save money and get a e class since Mercedes was so unthoughtful and slapped the same design on every car. Every single headlight in there new line up including suvs looks identical.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)