Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 10:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes but current car is a V8, new model is a V6 and there is no more SWB.
Therefore it could possibly start at 68-69k for a RWD and 72-73k for AWD.

If base is 80k for RWD, thats same as 740i which i cant see happening but we will see.
Old 01-13-17, 11:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

If base is 80k for RWD, thats same as 740i which i cant see happening but we will see.
Even if the LS500 did start at $81,500 like the 740i, its has 416hp and 442lbft to the BMW's 320hp and 332lbft. You're also likely to still get more standard features on the Lexus.
Old 01-13-17, 11:27 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Pics on previous page show the LS on display which is dropped and 20in wheels with perfect offset.
The production car will have a much different stance unfortunately.

A lot will depend on pricing, i think if it starts in high 60s to low 70s similar to current SWB LS then it should do well against cars like CT6, Continental, Jag XJ, Genesis G90. As it will no doubt be much better in every way than those cars.

I think its not fair to put it in same class as Sclass, 7, A8 as I think Lexus changed their target market a little with this LS.

A lot of great cars in this segment and niche players like Panamera, Model S, Quatroporte.
You're giving this car way lessss credit then it deserves. Why can't it be priced the same as a 740. That car is the plainest flagship money can buy, the hand gestures and a complete gimmick and looks like every other BMW on the road. If the current old dated ls can start at 73k and be way behind the segment, this has full rights to start at around 80k and be loaded for more if it is better in every single category than the current ls and 7. And nicer than both cars too.
Old 01-13-17, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Just remember that a base LS460L now is $78,820. Lexus doesn't view the V6 as a downgrade from the V8.

If its $80k to start thats a good price IMHO.
Old 01-13-17, 12:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I guess im looking at the fact there are current LS models that start in low 70s and to raise that by $10k is hard to imagine.
Old 01-13-17, 12:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Even if the LS500 did start at $81,500 like the 740i, its has 416hp and 442lbft to the BMW's 320hp and 332lbft. You're also likely to still get more standard features on the Lexus.
Agreed but historically Lexus offered more features for less money.
Also if they price it too high, they will lose some value minded shoppers to G90, CT6, etc.
Old 01-13-17, 12:28 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally, I don't think it's worth $80k.

But here's the deal, Lexus is in a catch 22. If they do price it sub $80k, it kind of diminishes the perception of that "flagship." I think the value pricing Acura did hurt it with the more affluent buyers and they're still trying to recover.

But again, I don't think it's worth that much and knowing Lexus and considering they too realize this (and probably why the GSF was priced so high), this will probably base in the $80s and consequently, I think they'll be sitting on the lot collecting dust.

I would buy a $90k+ 2018 LS if it had a V8, lol. I wouldn't pay $80k for this.
Old 01-13-17, 12:48 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler

But here's the deal, Lexus is in a catch 22. If they do price it sub $80k, it kind of diminishes the perception of that "flagship." I think the value pricing Acura did hurt it with the more affluent buyers and they're still trying to recover.

But again, I don't think it's worth that much and knowing Lexus and considering they too realize this (and probably why the GSF was priced so high), this will probably base in the $80s and consequently, I think they'll be sitting on the lot collecting dust.

How is it not worth it? How can anyone even say that right now? I would understand if you sat in and saw it live, that's without even test driving it. But as of now, it's just been revealed on Monday! The car isn't even a 'week old'
Old 01-13-17, 01:05 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V8 or not, unfortunately, they will probably price the base at least a little higher than the GSF. My view is that they are no longer trying to go head to head with the flagships of the Germans, just like when they started Lexus. However, with that went pricing that undercut the competition. I remember when the LS was cheaper than an E or 5 series.

Hyundai is now doing that with the Genesis. Upon test driving the Genesis, I hope they do discounts like the American luxury brands because they are still priced too high.
Old 01-13-17, 01:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I suspect the price will be cheap.
5LS is rather poorly styled in the rear with an engine that comes 2nd in NVH to V8's.

Otherwise they won't sell many.

Why did Lexus have to sell aging 4.5LS so cheap?
Just to sell the car.
And even then, 4.5LS only managed to attract something like 5,000 buyers in the US last year.
A far cry from the 35,000 on debut back in 2007...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-13-17 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think you are dead wrong and completely out of touch with current market conditions. Prices are going up, not down, especially with Japanese imports. . This vehicle screams 90k +++.
Old 01-13-17, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I guess im looking at the fact there are current LS models that start in low 70s and to raise that by $10k is hard to imagine.
But those LS's are the SWB cars. When BMW and Audi did away with their SWB cars, they also did away with that SWB price point. There was an A8 SWB that was available around $70k at one time...no more.

I'm sure pricing will come from the LS460L, not the LS460.

No offense, but I don't see how any of this makes any sense. The LS has always stickered well beneath $80k, has it never been a "flagship"?

IMHO this car is worth $80k to start even without a V8. The engine isn't the only thing or even the most important thing, and most buyers are accustomed to base V6 power in the segment now. People are paying $80k+ for 6 col A8s and 740s.
Old 01-13-17, 01:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Also if they price it too high, they will lose some value minded shoppers to G90, CT6, etc.
Lexus will probably always offer some sort of value. At the same time, if Lexus really wants to reinvent their image and be closer on par with the competition then prices MUST go up. Value as a main theme was important when Lexus was launched, they needed to make a name for themselves. Twenty seven years later, they need to adapt. They've dipped they're toes in the deep end, now its time to drive head first with the LS and LC and take it from there. From the a sophisticated chassis, improved cabin materials, and new available safety and technology, the LS will be better in every objective category. If Lexus does lose some shoppers to the G90, CT6, 7-Series, that's ok, they're all good vehicles in an ever increasing segment, but NONE are perfect including the LS. The LS500 is simply a starting point. Now that it has debuted, Lexus will respond and adjust as the 5LS begins its life cycle.
Old 01-13-17, 02:00 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you are dead wrong and completely out of touch with current market conditions. Prices are going up, not down, especially with Japanese imports. . This vehicle screams 90k +++.
Originally Posted by peteharvey
I suspect the price will be cheap.
5LS is rather poorly styled in the rear with an engine that comes 2nd in NVH to V8's.

Otherwise they won't sell many.

Why did Lexus have to sell aging 4.5LS so cheap?
Just to sell the car.
And even then, 4.5LS only managed to attract something like 5,000 buyers in the US last year.
A far cry from the 35,000 on debut back in 2007...

Yea how exactly is it not worth it? What exactly about it isn't 90k? It blows the 4 and 4.5ls away with everything, v8 or not the specs in the new engine will have you guys eating dust. And I'm sure Lexus will refine the engine a lot it's the flagship. And how exactly is 740 worth it more when it has worse specs and its spartan imho? You guys really need to back your info up and stop just trying to bash the car!
Old 01-13-17, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The engine isn't the only thing or even the most important thing, and most buyers are accustomed to base V6 power in the segment now. People are paying $80k+ for 6 col A8s and 740s.
But that's generally because they are being forced into it by current conditions and government CAFE rules. Given more of a free choice (and an open market, free of government interference), I'd bet that V8s would handily outsell turbo V6s in this category....not only with Lexus but its competitors as well.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)