Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 02:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Yea how exactly is it not worth it? What exactly about it isn't 90k? It blows the 4 and 4.5ls away with everything, v8 or not the specs in the new engine will have you guys eating dust. And I'm sure Lexus will refine the engine a lot it's the flagship. And how exactly is 740 worth it more when it has worse specs and its spartan imho? You guys really need to back your info up and stop just trying to bash the car!
Look at my missus and her new 200t turbo four; 0-60 and fuel economy isn't everything.
The old 2.5L V6 atmos was glorious to rev; even just pottering around town.

Likewise, you will find the old atmos V8 much slicker than the new twin turbo 3.5.
We just can't defy the laws of physics.

There have been badly styled LS's before, but 5LS is by far the worst!

And don't forget that the 5LS will be the most "performance-oriented" LS ever!
TMC president Akio has his sporty input, so watch out for the springing and the ride...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-13-17 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 02:33 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Look at my missus and her new 200t turbo four; 0-60 and fuel economy isn't everything.
The old 2.5L V6 atmos was glorious to rev; even just pottering around town.

Likewise, you will find the old atmos V8 much slicker than the new twin turbo 3.5.
We just can't defy the laws of physics.

There have been badly styled LS's before, but 5LS is by far the worst!

And don't forget that the 5LS will be the most "performance-oriented" LS ever!
TMC president Akio has his sporty input, so watch out for the springing and the ride...
That's only what i minority's of you say cause your in love with your current one. People off this "Lexus" forum are raving about the car and it's styling.
Old 01-13-17, 02:43 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
But those LS's are the SWB cars. When BMW and Audi did away with their SWB cars, they also did away with that SWB price point. There was an A8 SWB that was available around $70k at one time...no more.

I'm sure pricing will come from the LS460L, not the LS460.

No offense, but I don't see how any of this makes any sense. The LS has always stickered well beneath $80k, has it never been a "flagship"?

IMHO this car is worth $80k to start even without a V8. The engine isn't the only thing or even the most important thing, and most buyers are accustomed to base V6 power in the segment now. People are paying $80k+ for 6 col A8s and 740s.
Well that "$70k" was good and priced accordingly when it came out. It may have been slightly cheaper than the competition, but not $20k cheaper like it is today.

In today's world, these "flagships" are all priced above $80k. Lexus couldn't just raise the price of the current one to keep pace because it's so old.

But, you think bulbous styling and a HUD sans a V8 is worth it now Lexus has the opportunity?
Old 01-13-17, 02:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

That's only what i minority's of you say cause your in love with your current one. People off this "Lexus" forum are raving about the car and it's styling.
We'll see if that term "minority" of yours hold true in 12 months down the track as 5LS' debut sales figures are released.

Last time 4LS attracted 35,0000 customers on debut back in 2007...
Old 01-13-17, 02:49 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well that "$70k" was good and priced accordingly when it came out. It may have been slightly cheaper than the competition, but not $20k cheaper like it is today.

In today's world, these "flagships" are all priced above $80k. Lexus couldn't just raise the price of the current one to keep pace because it's so old.

But, you think bulbous styling and a HUD sans a V8 is worth it now Lexus has the opportunity?
Ok you really seriously need to get over the v8 most of everyone but you and a couple people are stilling babbling on about it. And the styling is way better then your basic ls. And yea with the styling interior and features Lexus has full rights to up the price. Cause it compares very well with the current flagships. And everyone knew the ls wasn't gonna be tame in terms of styling but it looks good. People are saying this is the best implementation of the spindle grill. So you are def in the minority. And have fun in your extremely dated ls and your oh so lovely v8. Despite this far being better in every way including the specs.
Old 01-13-17, 02:53 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm sure pricing will come from the LS460L, not the LS460.
No offense, but I don't see how any of this makes any sense. The LS has always stickered well beneath $80k, has it never been a "flagship"?
IMHO this car is worth $80k to start even without a V8. The engine isn't the only thing or even the most important thing, and most buyers are accustomed to base V6 power in the segment now. People are paying $80k+ for 6 col A8s and 740s.
Before the car was released, we were hotly debating whether it would be a V6 or V8.

After the car has been released, we are debating whether the price will be above or below 80K.

After the car hits the dealerships, what are we going to debate? Paint and wheel choices?

Save something for later, folks!
Old 01-13-17, 03:01 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Ok you really seriously need to get over the v8 most of everyone but you and a couple people are stilling babbling on about it. And the styling is way better then your basic ls. And yea with the styling interior and features Lexus has full rights to up the price. Cause it compares very well with the current flagships. And everyone knew the ls wasn't gonna be tame in terms of styling but it looks good. People are saying this is the best implementation of the spindle grill. So you are def in the minority. And have fun in your extremely dated ls and your oh so lovely v8. Despite this far being better in every way including the specs.

Chill out, imrankh. It's a car, for goodness sakes! You didn't design the car, so why are you taking this discussion so personally? Everyone is expressing their opinion respectfully. Please do the same. Thank you.
Old 01-13-17, 03:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
We'll see if that term "minority" of yours hold true in 12 months down the track as 5LS' debut sales figures are released.

Last time 4LS attracted 35,0000 customers on debut back in 2007...
Eh, I don't think its fair to expect 4LS numbers out of the 5LS at debut. I think just a bit of context is due- as you know, 2007 was the height of the "good times 'rollin" era of the 2000's and it was also back when the flagship sedan reigned supreme. That was optimal for sales.
Old 01-13-17, 03:16 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by comotiger
Chill out, imrankh. It's a car, for goodness sakes! You didn't design the car, so why are you taking this discussion so personally? Everyone is expressing their opinion respectfully. Please do the same. Thank you.
I'll admit I might be coming off a little harsh, I'll stop doing that. But the "Lexus" forum is coming at the car but it's better than the 4ls in every way so idk what they see to say the car is no good. But I guarantee you they will be the same people to buy one.
Old 01-13-17, 03:29 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll admit I might be coming off a little harsh, I'll stop doing that. But the "Lexus" forum is coming at the car but it's better than the 4ls in every way so idk what they see to say the car is no good. But I guarantee you they will be the same people to buy one.
might be coming off a little harsh? i'm surprised people are still responding to your posts at all.
Old 01-13-17, 04:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Its relatively natural for people in the old model to complain about the new model, its not just cars but a lot of other things like cell phones and computers, clothes, whatever people cherish.

We see this all the time with new car models, countless times on CL. IS, GS, RX, LS, its all like this. It sucks to be the old generation but everyone gets over it eventually and accepts the new model. The stragglers, we can call them the late adopters, yea they can take a while but it happens eventually. We're only a few days in and we're already seeing the, "its growing on me" posts. Sooner or later, they'll be the, "yea I like it". Then it will be, "well I just bought it".
Old 01-13-17, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Its relatively natural for people in the old model to complain about the new model, its not just cars but a lot of other things like cell phones and computers, clothes, whatever people cherish.

We see this all the time with new car models, countless times on CL. IS, GS, RX, LS, its all like this. It sucks to be the old generation but everyone gets over it eventually and accepts the new model. The stragglers, we can call them the late adopters, yea they can take a while but it happens eventually. We're only a few days in and we're already seeing the, "its growing on me" posts. Sooner or later, they'll be the, "yea I like it". Then it will be, "well I just bought it".
The 2IS 3IS debate was particularly bad three years ago (kind of how when a new kid is born, the older ones feel displaced somewhat), but as you said, people get over it.

Welcome to the rumble 5LS!
Old 01-13-17, 05:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree that people need to get over the lack of a V8. A lot of people are mentioning CAFE but what they don't realize is that overall size and footprint of a car affects the rating. V8's will still be around, but they can't be the base engine for a mainstream car. LS has a V6TT so the LC will be able to offer an 8.

And have fun in your extremely dated ls and your oh so lovely v8. Despite this far being better in every way including the specs.
There really is no need to knock the guys previous gen LS. Yes the new LS is better in every way, but the previous gen LS was a good car and there is no real need to get so personal
Old 01-13-17, 05:30 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davyjordi
might be coming off a little harsh? i'm surprised people are still responding to your posts at all.
I was responding just to see if Imran short circuits. I didn't even get started talking about how The ES350 is an Avalon for people I that are of an even older demographic.

Just kidding all is well. Perhaps Lexus will give us loyalists an old timers discount on the new LS500. At $80K (I know) and/or a good residual, any shortcomings will disappear (for me at least).

Glutton for punishment, I did test drive an A8L with the TTV8 yesterday, a lot of car loaded for $91,500 MSRP (before heavy discounts). All should at least try all of the flavors before buying a scoop or two.
Old 01-13-17, 05:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Eh, I don't think its fair to expect 4LS numbers out of the 5LS at debut. I think just a bit of context is due- as you know, 2007 was the height of the "good times 'rollin" era of the 2000's and it was also back when the flagship sedan reigned supreme. That was optimal for sales.
Traditionally, S Class debuts with benchmark sales.
LS runs on the same 7 year model cycle as S Class, so traditionally, the following year, all new LS debuts with new benchmark sales.

Recently in 2014, S Class debut with 25,000 units.
So it would be great if 5LS could debut with at least 25k American customers to continue the tradition.
I wouldn't worry about the Nissan Infiniti styling, nor the V6 TT - you never know, 5LS could sell like hot cakes....

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)