Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 05:38 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The day I test drive the LS500, I will also retest the others so I may have a good feel. All except the Genesis, the driving experience was a letdown for me. Even at the value pricing, it was the only car in this class that I drove that felt was not worth it.

I reserve judgment for the LS, but I have very high hopes that I won't be disappointed. I did also drive the TTV6 for the A8 and 740, and neither was lacking or felt like a V6 to me. Just the V8 versions are amazing.
Old 01-13-17, 05:40 PM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Traditionally, S Class debuts with benchmark sales.
LS runs on the same 7 year model cycle as S Class, so traditionally, the following year, all new LS debuts with new benchmark sales.

Recently in 2014, S Class debut with 25,000 units.
So it would be great if 5LS could debut with at least 25k American customers to continue the tradition.
I wouldn't worry about the Nissan Infiniti styling, nor the V6 TT - you never know, 5LS could sell like hot cakes....
As Steve mentioned, the flagship doesn't have to sell like 'hot cakes', just enough to justify its existence. I need to keep in top of the rumor that the GS will be no more.
Old 01-13-17, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think the time has passed where the LS is going to do 25k units a year, I really do. Like I said, 12-15k is a big win.

I'm coming around on the V6. We'll drive it and see what we think. Like I said, price over $80-85k for me and I'm by a buyer, that's not because of the V6 that's just above the value perspective I have for a Lexus. I'd be in a 740.

More likely I'd be in a G90 V8 for $72k.
Old 01-13-17, 06:01 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by e325rkh
I was responding just to see if Imran short circuits. I didn't even get started talking about how The ES350 is an Avalon for people I that are of an even older demographic.

Just kidding all is well. Perhaps Lexus will give us loyalists an old timers discount on the new LS500. At $80K (I know) and/or a good residual, any shortcomings will disappear (for me at least).

Glutton for punishment, I did test drive an A8L with the TTV8 yesterday, a lot of car loaded for $91,500 MSRP (before heavy discounts). All should at least try all of the flavors before buying a scoop or two.
Can you please express yourself more about the es 350 being a older mans Avalon please? Besides the chassis and drivetrain the es is a completely better car than the availing but please explain to me what you mean? Cause I didn't pay 50k for a "Avalon" but ou think so.
Old 01-13-17, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Let's not. This thread is about the LS.
Old 01-13-17, 06:04 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think the time has passed where the LS is going to do 25k units a year, I really do. Like I said, 12-15k is a big win.

I'm coming around on the V6. We'll drive it and see what we think. Like I said, price over $80-85k for me and I'm by a buyer, that's not because of the V6 that's just above the value perspective I have for a Lexus. I'd be in a 740.

More likely I'd be in a G90 V8 for $72k.
I really don't understand why some of you think that a Lexus can't be worth more than 80k. It is the only Japanese luxury brand compared with the Germans. Some cars even better than the Germans. It is in the same level for a reason. They are on par with Germans even better. The new ls is a great example of that. But i really want you to explain why a Lexus can't be "expensive" or worth money I might want to say instead.
Old 01-13-17, 06:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Whew, at least this is back to the LS.
Old 01-13-17, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I really don't understand why some of you think that a Lexus can't be worth more than 80k. It is the only Japanese luxury brand compared with the Germans. Some cars even better than the Germans. It is in the same level for a reason. They are on par with Germans even better. The new ls is a great example of that. But i really want you to explain why a Lexus can't be "expensive" or worth money I might want to say instead.
You have to separate "can be worth" and "would be worth to me". I personally would not buy a Lexus if it was the same cost as a comparable BMW or Mercedes. I feel those cars are more prestigious, and if I'm going to spend $90k+ that's what I'm going to want.

If somebody feels differently than Godspeed.
Old 01-13-17, 06:22 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

You have to separate "can be worth" and "would be worth to me". I personally would not buy a Lexus if it was the same cost as a comparable BMW or Mercedes. I feel those cars are more prestigious, and if I'm going to spend $90k+ that's what I'm going to want.

If somebody feels differently than Godspeed.
I certainly feel different. BMW is not more prestigious than a lex. There interiors are spartan and the outsides all look boring. If you have a ls you'll get the same respect if you were to have a 7 or s. And if you have a lx you'll get more respect than say a gl or x5. That's just me. Why do you think Lexus IS the best selling luxury brand? If everyone thought that way no one would buy Lexus.
Old 01-13-17, 06:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can feel differently. I'm telling you how I feel.

I can also tell you that I run in some pretty high end circles with clients and such that I have. I grew up belonging to country clubs, went to private schools. Where I live and am an LS is absolutely not held in as much prestige as a 7 Series or S Class.

And also, Lexus hasn't been the best selling luxury brand for several years. Last year it was #3, this year #2. Why do they sell so well? Because they're a great value, that's a huge reason.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-13-17 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 06:27 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

You can feel differently. I'm telling you how I feel.

I can also tell you that I run in some pretty high end circles with clients and such that I have. I grew up belonging to country clubs, went to private schools. Where I live and am an LS is absolutely not held in as much prestige as a 7 Series or S Class.
Well the new will certainly change that. And I'll tel you why they held more. Cause of the badge and that's it. People think once they a buy a German brand they are the best weather it be a bare bones cla or 328. If these two cars had a Lexus badge many people would call them overpriced toyotas. Same goes for the s and 7. If all Lexus cars switch there badge to a German they would be getting praised. Sad but true and nothing we can do to change that.
Old 01-13-17, 06:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Well the new will certainly change that. And I'll tel you why they held more. Cause of the badge and that's it. People think once they a buy a German brand they are the best weather it be a bare bones cla or 328. If these two cars had a Lexus badge many people would call them overpriced toyotas. Same goes for the s and 7. If all Lexus cars switch there badge to a German they would be getting praised. Sad but true and nothing we can do to change that.
But that's what "prestige" is, it's not quantifiable. Brands have levels of prestige based on what the public perceives about them...why does a Rolex cost so much? Is it a quantifiable difference over say an Omega?

So much of what somebody spends this much on a car for is prestige. Whether they admit it or not.
Old 01-13-17, 06:33 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

But that's what "prestige" is, it's not quantifiable. Brands have levels of prestige based on what the public perceives about them...why does a Rolex cost so much? Is it a quantifiable difference over say an Omega?

So much of what somebody spends this much on a car for is prestige. Whether they admit it or not.
You didn't answer my part about the badges.
Old 01-13-17, 06:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

imrankh24, please exit this thread
Old 01-13-17, 06:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about V6 TT, because V6 TT is going to be the industry standard, just like the in-line four turbo.

The biggest Achilles heel for 5LS & sales will be its Nissan Infiniti like rear quarter styling.
Also, watch out for President Akio's sporting suspensions & its effects on ride & refinement.

When Pres Akio entered TMC in 2009, we just had the GFC, with Camry accelerator pedal & earthquake to come.
All Pres Akio had to do was to stay calm, and problem solve as it comes.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Instead, Pres Akio chose to totally revamp TMC.
Some of those changes have been good, but others not so good.
Life is never perfect; we must take the dirt with the gravy...

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)