Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What's your next vehicle purchase color, assuming it's available?
White
46.67%
Black
10.00%
Silver
6.67%
Gray
16.67%
Red
6.67%
Blue
6.67%
Beige/Gold/Taupe
0%
Other
6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Top Global Colors - What color will your next vehicle be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

my first car love was a white mid-engine two-seat runabout with red interior.
Was it an MR2? I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember a MR2 in any of its three generations with a red interior.
Old 07-26-14, 10:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ I had it with the red cloth interior. (Pic not mine).

Must have been another Canada-only availability... even back then we got more color choices than the US at 1/10th the market???

Old 08-06-14, 05:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Official - Color Decision

After much deliberation and most importantly, after a family vote... Winner:

Obsidian/Rioja Red. With the color decided, we officially firmed up our order for a loaded NX 200t F-Sport AWD yesterday while at the F-Sport event.

The Darth Vader front-end, with the triple L LEDs, fogs, spindle grill chrome, and silver lip spoiler popping... was what won us over. Close runner up was Eminent White / Rioja Red. Despite the "pain-in-the-rear" black will be to maintain, every time I see Hoovey's signature IS pic, I feel passionate for the color as nothing beats black with some chrome accents on the car. To me, on the NX F-Sport, this is the true combination of Luxury, Sport, and "Commanding Road Presence".

We're excited to say the least, especially to experience the new color HUD and latest gen AVS... I believe the NX will handle as good as the Germans with AVS if the IS and GS are any indicators.

...now for the 4 month wait

Old 08-06-14, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Congratulations on the purchase.

I'll probably review an NX when it becomes available in my area (maybe for my Annual Holiday Review, which I sometimes do on a Lexus product). I plan to do a regular version, so, since you are getting the F-Sport (and that's a nice two-tone red/black interior on the F-Sport), you can give us at least a brief report on it when you get it.

I waited some time to review a Lincoln MKC, and it will be very interesting to see how the NX compares to it....though the MKC, of course, got a roughly four-month head start in sales.
Old 08-06-14, 06:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
After much deliberation and most importantly, after a family vote... Winner:

Obsidian/Rioja Red. With the color decided, we officially firmed up our order for a loaded NX 200t F-Sport AWD yesterday while at the F-Sport event.

The Darth Vader front-end, with the triple L LEDs, fogs, spindle grill chrome, and silver lip spoiler popping... was what won us over. Close runner up was Eminent White / Rioja Red. Despite the "pain-in-the-rear" black will be to maintain, every time I see Hoovey's signature IS pic, I feel passionate for the color as nothing beats black with some chrome accents on the car. To me, on the NX F-Sport, this is the true combination of Luxury, Sport, and "Commanding Road Presence".

We're excited to say the least, especially to experience the new color HUD and latest gen AVS... I believe the NX will handle as good as the Germans with AVS if the IS and GS are any indicators.

...now for the 4 month wait
Congrats man, your combination is going to be strikingly handsome
Old 08-06-14, 07:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on the purchase.

I'll probably review an NX when it becomes available in my area (maybe for my Annual Holiday Review, which I sometimes do on a Lexus product). I plan to do a regular version, so, since you are getting the F-Sport (and that's a nice two-tone red/black interior on the F-Sport), you can give us at least a brief report on it when you get it.

I waited some time to review a Lincoln MKC, and it will be very interesting to see how the NX compares to it....though the MKC, of course, got a roughly four-month head start in sales.
I considered the MKC as you know, but I couldn't get passed the tight and uncomfortable rear seat and inconsistent fit and finish. For someone who cares not for these and does not have any reliability qualms, the MKC will be a good buy in this segment.

I'll definitely post my feedback when I get the NX.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats man, your combination is going to be strikingly handsome
Thanks. It will be our first black Lexus and fourth black car owned so I know the pain and rewards of non-metallic black paint. Prior black cars owned were an 02 Protege5, 05 Mazda 5, and '99 Civic Si Coupe. As Consumer Reports stated in their video review of the black NX F-Sport, the front looks like it will devour children!
Old 08-06-14, 07:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I considered the MKC as you know, but I couldn't get passed the tight and uncomfortable rear seat and inconsistent fit and finish. For someone who cares not for these and does not have any reliability qualms, the MKC will be a good buy in this segment.

I'll definitely post my feedback when I get the NX.

Thanks. It will be our first black Lexus and fourth black car owned so I know the pain and rewards of non-metallic black paint. Prior black cars owned were an 02 Protege5, 05 Mazda 5, and '99 Civic Si Coupe. As Consumer Reports stated in their video review of the black NX F-Sport, the front looks like it will devour children!
I advice you to install a paint coating on your black Lexus as soon as possible. Find a detailer in your area who is authorized to install Opti Coat Pro or CQuartz Finest.

Yes, it will be a small investment, but well worth it for the ease of maintenance and helping to preserve the paint and reducing (keyword: reducing, can't fully avoid them on these soft paints) swirl marks and light scratches.

We have done dozens of Obsidian black Lexus at the shop ranging from 2006-2014 and it's definitely a soft paint, not the worst (Porsche and Subaru is much worse) but a much softer paint than Audi or Mercedes.

I highly recommend the paint coating and educating yourself how to properly wash your vehicle. Autogeek Online is a good forum to join for that. Detailing Bliss or Detailing World are also good forums.
Old 08-06-14, 10:16 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a dam yellow s2k.. Is that too much to ask for lol
Old 08-07-14, 04:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I advice you to install a paint coating on your black Lexus as soon as possible. Find a detailer in your area who is authorized to install Opti Coat Pro or CQuartz Finest.
Thanks for the tip and you're right, proper washing techniques and the paint coating will not fully prevent swirl marks or fine scratches as per some feedback I've seen in this forum, but it will help reduce the "damage".
Old 08-07-14, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the tip and you're right, proper washing techniques and the paint coating will not fully prevent swirl marks or fine scratches as per some feedback I've seen in this forum, but it will help reduce the "damage".
Get a bottle of this. It is excellent stuff, and will take out light surface scratches/swirls if you do in fact get them, and leave a very smooth, polished (but not waxed) surface...as long as the scratches are not deep. If it is not available in your area, PM me with your address and I'll send you a small bottle of it. I often give it to people who get new vehicles.

Old 08-07-14, 08:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My next car.

Old 08-07-14, 10:27 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White has been my favorite for the last decade, probably the next as well.

I had a black IS for 3.5 years, and I did not enjoy it nearly as much. Here's why:

When you have a pearl white car, you look forward to driving it in the rain or at night, as these are the conditions in which it looks the *best*.

When you have a black car, you hate the rain because you know you'll have to wash it later, and it doesn't look nearly as good in the dark of night as it does during the day.
Old 08-07-14, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra
When you have a black car, you hate the rain because you know you'll have to wash it later, and it doesn't look nearly as good in the dark of night as it does during the day.
Try parking a black car in direct summer sun and feel what happens. And, of course, black paint tends to amplify scratches, swirls, smudges, fingerprints, and orange-peel in the painting process.
Old 08-07-14, 07:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I've found dark blue's like Lexus's Deep Sea Mica while gorgeous is even worse upkeep
Old 08-07-14, 09:29 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
White has been my favorite for the last decade, probably the next as well.

I had a black IS for 3.5 years, and I did not enjoy it nearly as much. Here's why:

When you have a pearl white car, you look forward to driving it in the rain or at night, as these are the conditions in which it looks the *best*.

Black cars only look good (clean) right after a wash. The next day it looks dirty again. Too many imperfections shown, swirls, dents, chips, etc etc.. I also feel black car paint absorbs too much heat in the sun and eventually will fade/peel quicker than a lighter colored car. Having said that, my next car will probably be either white or red.

Quick Reply: Top Global Colors - What color will your next vehicle be?