Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5 Least Appealing Luxury Brands (APPEAL Survey JD Power)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, looking over many of the posts (and the posts in similar threads), It's obvious that the point I brought up earlier is one of the main problems......most of us, as I indicated earlier, can't agree ourselves on which brands belong in which categories, or even the defining-limits of the categories themselves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-03-14 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Cadillac is the only one that can be argued has appeal especially considering they just sold a boatload of 72k+ Escalades last month.
My opinion on Caddilac is sadly changing. I sat in a ATS, the interior and design is not as good as I originally thought.
Old 08-03-14, 04:32 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
these comparisons are really very silly. comparing volvo and porsche? acura and jaguar? lincoln and bmw?

acura, lincoln, and volvo can't even be considered luxury brands.
I guess I do not see this as brand perception study or ranking, it seems to show more of who has momentum right now when it comes to just nailing what the demanding consumer wants. As an example, Audi has a lot of people talking regardless of where you are, I am not surprised to see them above BMW for this ranking at this point in time.
Old 08-03-14, 04:34 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J.P.
I guess I do not see this as brand perception study or ranking, it seems to show more of who has momentum right now when it comes to just nailing what the demanding consumer wants. As an example, Audi has a lot of people talking regardless of where you are, I am not surprised to see them above BMW for this ranking at this point in time.
On another point staying power is also key as brands rise and fall, it seems Porsche knows how to keep people happy.
Old 08-03-14, 06:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

good points J.P. the full chart does categorize as 'premium' and 'non-premium, which is why i felt 'comparing' wasn't very relevant.

but i finally watched the video at the link and it says the 'APEAL' is based on emotional appeal so it makes sense that a brand like Porsche is tops!
and it also makes sense for the other rankings pretty much. jaguar is dead sexy ...
and volvo, well, it isn't.
Old 08-03-14, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and volvo, well, it isn't.

Volvo, in general, doesn't try and be what I would call (for lack of a better term) a "Glamor Brand". Years ago, they made their mark by selling what were essentially RWD safety-mobiles shaped like shoeboxes...then added some more power, converted to FWD safety-mobiles still shaped like shoeboxes, and then gradually streamlined their shapes with more aero-designs and added some sport-oriented models. But the brand, in America, for a number of reasons, just hasn't caught on with the general public....partially for its staid, schoolmarm image. Witness (arguably) the most noted person in America who actually drives one......Joan Claybrook, Ralph Nader's old protege and ex-Director of the NHTSA.
Old 08-03-14, 11:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
This thread and this "study" is a joke. Cadillac, Infiniti, & Acura outsell Lincoln and always have. So obviously all three brands are more "appealing" than Lincoln, because buyers would rather spend their money on any one of those three instead. Only a complete idiot would give this ridiculous "study" any credibility
It is a ridiculous study, no real facts or credibility but someone still eats it up. JD Power "study" has Lincoln not far behind Mercedes, Jaguar and Audi more appealing then Mercedes. Many of these JD Power ratings/studies are ridiculous but we know why they are often posted.
Old 08-04-14, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
It is a ridiculous study, no real facts or credibility but someone still eats it up. JD Power "study" has Lincoln not far behind Mercedes, Jaguar and Audi more appealing then Mercedes. Many of these JD Power ratings/studies are ridiculous but we know why they are often posted.

And what makes J.D. Power any more credible than the other firms? I'm not going to actually diss them, but I myself served on a former J.D. Power focus group (for the Cadillac CTS)...and I wasn't terribly impressed on how they interviewed people and collected their data. Consumer Reports, on the other hand, has a much wider and more comprehensive source.....and they usually don't try and deal with subjective/objective questions like emotional appeal or image. They deal more with the product itself and customer experience with it, which, IMO, is the way it should be.
Old 08-04-14, 07:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And what makes J.D. Power any more credible than the other firms? I'm not going to actually diss them, but I myself served on a former J.D. Power focus group (for the Cadillac CTS)...and I wasn't terribly impressed on how they interviewed people and collected their data. Consumer Reports, on the other hand, has a much wider and more comprehensive source.....and they usually don't try and deal with subjective/objective questions like emotional appeal or image. They deal more with the product itself and customer experience with it, which, IMO, is the way it should be.
That is b/c some people agree with a survey only when it aligns with their views. Oddly, some love no appeal.

Old 08-04-14, 07:43 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
What "facts" do you quantify regarding how much people "like" one brand or another?

It's a study of brand perception, and I think it mostly aligns with how people perceive these brands.

The real question is, who did they ask to rank these brands? Is it by the people that actually buy cars from them, or by people who wish to one day buy cars from them?

If you ask a guy who's owned a car from 3 or 4 of these brands about his or her opinion, you'll likely get a different answer than someone who hasn't owned any.
Old 08-04-14, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That is b/c some people agree with a survey only when it aligns with their views. Oddly, some love no appeal.
No appeal to what? I'm not sure I follow you here.

In CL discussions, it seems like that's all we HAVE is appeal. With very few exceptions, there will always be those who find someone to agree or disagree with them.
Old 08-04-14, 07:56 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
It's a study of brand perception, and I think it mostly aligns with how people perceive these brands.
Yea, maybe in bizarro upside-down world where Lincoln is the pinnacle of American luxury and Audi is the leading luxury brand out of Germany
Old 08-04-14, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Yea, maybe in bizarro upside-down world where Lincoln is the pinnacle of American luxury and Audi is the leading luxury brand out of Germany
You also are the same guy that said Acura is better/on par with Audi which is straight comedy. Even non car enthusiasts feel Audi is hot as fire right now and they have been that way for a few years now. If you are oblivious to this fact either one lives in a cave or is on some odd sort of denial.

Audi is hot, they are sexy, they have appeal and it's why Audi which used to sell like crap now outsells Infintii and Acura which was unheard of just 15 years ago. Audi set trends with their leds and use of aluminum and their large grills.

Not sure how anyone on a car Internet forum can question Audi's appeal and greatness right now.

Old 08-04-14, 08:32 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also are the same guy that said Acura is better/on par with Audi which is straight comedy. Even non car enthusiasts feel Audi is hot as fire right now and they have been that way for a few years now. If you are oblivious to this fact either one lives in a cave or is on some odd sort of denial.
They're still selling only about 55% of what MB or BMW sells in the US. And yet they are somehow more appealing than either of the two German powerhouses? Again, only in bizarro world.

Have they improved? sure. Are they more appealing than they used to be? sure. More appealing than MB or BMW? Well that's just crazy talk

Audi is hot, they are sexy, they have appeal
If you say so...

Audi set trends with their leds and use of aluminum and their large grills.
Infiniti was the first to use a backup camera, lane warning systems, etc. If Audi's only trend that they set is with their led headlights (many of which don't even work), then that isn't saying very much for them.

Not sure how anyone on a car Internet forum can question Audi's appeal and greatness right now.
Well, if you like them so much, then maybe you should buy one
Old 08-04-14, 08:53 PM
LexFather

Did you, someone that has never posted a car they own, tells me to buy an Audi because I am well aware of their influence in the market! Lmfao. Your rebuttal is naming something infiniti brought to market no one cares about?

Wow so now we need to buy Audi's for giving them kudos. Hilarious.

FYI sales does not equal Appeal. Porsche was number one and they sell a drop in the bucket. Logic fail again.

You have no point again but to bash other brands not infiniti on a Lexus forum.

Johan left, he saw no future.

Quick Reply: 5 Least Appealing Luxury Brands (APPEAL Survey JD Power)