Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$100 to Test Drive Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 07:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Total desperation on Lincoln.
Nonsense. Audi and Cadillac both had a gift card offers for test drives in the spring -- $75 for Audi, $100 for Caddy. This happens all the time.
Old 08-04-14, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Nonsense. Audi and Cadillac both had a gift card offers for test drives in the spring -- $75 for Audi, $100 for Caddy. This happens all the time.
It seems to be happening more than in the past, which shows the intense nature of the competition in today's auto market.

And you're right.......simply offering a paid test drive is not total desperation by any means, though the previous poster is also at least partially correct that Lincoln is not in a very good position right now.
Old 08-04-14, 12:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It seems to be happening more than in the past, which shows the intense nature of the competition in today's auto market.

And you're right.......simply offering a paid test drive is not total desperation by any means, though the previous poster is also at least partially correct that Lincoln is not in a very good position right now.
Agreed on Lincoln's position, but one could even argue that the $100 offer isn't even desperation, because they are behind the curve on offering it as a marketing tool.

Years ago, GM did a brand-wide "24-hour Test Drive." I'd love to see a revival of that; I'd definitely take an ATS for 24 hours.
Old 08-04-14, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Years ago, GM did a brand-wide "24-hour Test Drive." I'd love to see a revival of that; I'd definitely take an ATS for 24 hours.
I don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that too many vehicles were probably coming back after the 24 hours with damage.
Old 08-04-14, 03:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

You don't need an 'event' for an extended test drive. Ask to do a Borrowed Car Agreement (BCA) next time you're at the dealer
Old 08-04-14, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ford announces free brake pad offer if customers stop by dealers

Ford Offers Motorcraft Brake Pad Replacement Guarantee

• New point-of-sale program at Ford and Lincoln dealerships and Quick Lane Tire & Auto Centers provides consumers with no-cost replacement of Motorcraft brake pads purchased as of July 1, 2014; program applies to passenger vehicles and certain commercial vehicles

• Motorcraft brake pads that have worn down to less than three millimeters will be eligible for no-cost replacement; labor and other parts are not included

• The offer applies to Motorcraft brake pads replaced on a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle

DEARBORN, Mich., August 4, 2014 – Ford Motor Company has launched a new point-of-sale program at Ford and Lincoln dealerships and Quick Lane Tire & Auto Centers that provides consumers with no-cost replacement of Motorcraft brake pads purchased as of July 1, 2014.

Motorcraft brake pads that wear down to less than three millimeters will be eligible for no-cost replacement as long as the customer owns the vehicle. Customers must still pay labor and installation costs for replacing the brakes, as well as the cost of other parts needed to return the brake system to original operating condition. This offer, called "Lifetime Brake Pad Guarantee," applies to Motorcraft brakes replaced on any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury passenger vehicle and certain commercial vehicles.

To qualify for replacement brakes, customers will need to present their service advisor with their repair order or vehicle identification number.

"This program reflects our commitment to providing customers with an excellent ownership experience regardless of the age of their vehicle," said Frederiek Toney, vice president, Ford Motor Company and president, Ford Customer Service. "Plus, when you purchase Motorcraft parts at a Ford or Lincoln dealer, or a Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center, you know you're getting the right parts installed by the right people. Motorcraft parts are the officially recommended parts for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, and these technicians are factory-trained and certified to service our products."

Except for taxi, limousine, postal, police, towing or emergency vehicles, commercial vehicles are also eligible for the program. Racing vehicles are not eligible.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/04/f...ake-pad-offer/
Old 08-04-14, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford's still using the old Motorcraft name for parts? I thought they got rid of that years ago.
Old 08-04-14, 07:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The invitation is fine. But offering a card makes the brand image look week. I would accept a gift card on Hyundai, Scion, Mitsubishi or maybe a Buick, but a brand that is supposed to be luxury should not be doing the gift card gimmick.
I have plenty from Lexus over the years for test drives......Latest one I got was last year for the GS!

Your argument makes no sense - all brands are doing this BMW, MB, Jaguar, etc....all these brands are chasing VOLUME and Sales #s Crown.

You want true brand image get a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, RR, Bentley - they def wont send you any gift cards for a test drive.
Old 08-04-14, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Those of us here on CL are a VERY small minority vs. the car buying public at large. If the car brands relied on us, they'd go broke. They need to get their message out to the entire, broader, market, and target the potential buyers they are after.

It's a sophisticated process that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. That's when you see changes and revisions in the marketing.
Amen... ....

Old 08-05-14, 08:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I have plenty from Lexus over the years for test drives......Latest one I got was last year for the GS!

Your argument makes no sense - all brands are doing this BMW, MB, Jaguar, etc....all these brands are chasing VOLUME and Sales #s Crown.

You want true brand image get a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, RR, Bentley - they def wont send you any gift cards for a test drive.
They wouldn't do these offers if they didn't work. Caddy offered it in the spring, and there's a dealer 5 mins from my office, so I test drove an ATS at lunch, just for the heck of it--out of the dealer lot, and 4 right turns, back at my office in 45 mins. Here's $100. But--the car was really nice, and next year, when I'm ready for a new car, I'm seriously considering an ATS. Before that offer, ATS was never a thought.

There are plenty of people that scoff at Lincoln--including right here in this thread. But if the believe in their product, and can get some people to come in just for the gift card, they might change people's perception of Lincoln. And that's what it's all about.
Old 08-05-14, 09:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True to some extent, but one of the ways (among others) you get new customers is from word-of-mouth from former loyal customers. Many people (including a number of of us here at CL) don't really take marketing and car ads seriously (because we know how much B.S. some of them can have). But we DO take our own impressions (and each other's impressions) seriously, even if we sometimes disagree with each other.
Some people are creatures of habit. Sure, their neighbor tells them "My Lincoln is great, you should get one." But, I've driven Honda/Acura for years, I like what I have. Then you get this invite in the mail--they will give me $100 just to test drive a Lincoln? Well, Joe likes his--what the heck. And--if Lincoln has truly produced a quality product, you may convert that buyer.

Car companies, and many others, have a lot of gimmicks to get you in the dealer--look at any auto dealer ad in the newspaper, and then read the fine print. They keep at it with these gimmicks because they work enough to justify the costs.