Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Virtual Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 01:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One reason analog dashes lasted as long as they have is that when auto firms first tried them in the 1980s (if my memory is right, some Cadillacs, Lincolns, and upmarket Chrysler K-cars were the first to have them), much of the public rebelled, and they were forced to go back to analog just to keep new cars selling.
But that was 30 years ago. Technology is now capable of amazingly sophisticated graphics and customizable interfaces. Not just a digital speed read out and sequential lights for the Tachometer position.

But to placate you, maybe something like the BMW 7 series is best, where they have hard rings overlayed on the TFT screen behind it.

Old 08-05-14, 01:45 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Back in '86 my business partner was driving one of the last of the massive 1977 Town Car coupes. She'd purchased it new and was reluctant to part with. Then the optional "digital dash" went haywire and finally failed altogether. It was not really digital, just a LCD display of speed, miles, and a few bar graphs for gas and temperature - that's all. But the COST to replace that 4" X 10" display was $1500 - and that was just the part. The labor was close to that number because it wasn't designed for access and the entire dash had to be disassembled just to reach the offending display. Sadly, her beautifully-maintained white on white Lincoln went to the crusher; the cost of repair had exceeded it's wholesale value and, with the odometer inoperative, it couldn't be sold.
She didnt want to spend the money to have it repaired? If my memory serves me correctly, thats a pretty nice car to have as collectable.
Old 08-05-14, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
But that was 30 years ago. Technology is now capable of amazingly sophisticated graphics and customizable interfaces. Not just a digital speed read out and sequential lights for the Tachometer position.
Yes I agree that some things are different today, especially in the capability to show electronic gauges in an analog format......which was difficult or impossible 30 years ago. Back then, the video-dashes were basically just flashing digital numbers and some poorly-done movable bar-graphs. it's no wonder most of the public disliked them. [/quote]

But to placate you, maybe something like the BMW 7 series is best, where they have hard rings overlayed on the TFT screen behind it.
Actually, it's not a question of placating me....and, I have never actually owned a BMW, for a number of reasons, even though I have enormous respect for their past-generation chassis and steering engineering. But, as a group, BMW owners are quite picky and discerning about what that want.

I myself have no problems with electronic backgrounds as such......just with a bunch of flashing digits instead of easier-to-read sweep-needles.
Old 08-06-14, 03:59 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I mean can you really get any better than this layout? Any info you needed to know was on deck way back in 1982. Even displays of today cant touch this.
Attached Thumbnails The Virtual Dashboard-kittseason4dashboard2.jpg  
Old 08-06-14, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I mean can you really get any better than this layout? Any info you needed to know was on deck way back in 1982. Even displays of today cant touch this.

And THAT is supposed to be something one can quickly decipher a a glance?
Old 08-07-14, 09:56 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is such a thing as too much information. The driver's focus is supposed to be out the windshield, because that's where things happen with the highest potential to kill you. I'm sure fuel pressure or miles-to-empty won't be jumping across the median into your lane within the next couple hundred feet.

The case of over-instrumentation made some significant changes in aircraft cockpits some years ago. It was what I call the "Jurassic Park argument" . . . just because we have the technology, should we do it? Sure, we were able to put every flight parameter, including engines, navigation, weapons systems and defensive status in front of a fighter pilot, but it became too much for a human to process in an emergency. As it happened, we lost aircraft and not a few pilots, due to what they termed a "helmet fire" - just too much data flooding in for one person to process and respond to while the world was turning to excrement around them.

The trick was to use those same computers that were bringing in all this data to begin to triage what was important and what could be relegated to second and third echelon considerations. If you're on fire, you aren't concerned with your fuel load. ANY fuel is too much at that point. In your car, particularly at speeds over the posted limit, you needn't be concerned with fuel consumption - it's going to be high, trust me. Displays of anything other than speed, oil pressure, temperature, and maybe tire pressure warnings are far more important than the artist playing on your Pandora account or the instantaneous reading of your spark advance curve.

Part of the configurable dash should be the ability of the system to sort out the important stuff and keep you appraised of those factors that will have a direct effect on your safe arrival at your destination. Cruising city streets, your position becomes more important as you have more options to change your route than on an interstate with few exits. At a traffic light you might be more interested in "miles to empty" rather than just a virtual needle that shows the relative amount of fuel in your tank. An important part of the configurable display in the future will be to let the system prioritize your display - even offering up a warning and display of anything running out of spec that will affect your 1.) safety, 2.) location, or 3.) the long-term survival of your vehicle.