Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have you bought or would you buy a car at Carmax? yes/no? any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 10:53 AM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great deals for their extended warranty on AMGs & range Rovers. Most people who comment have come out way ahead with the warranty & you can take to MB or RR dealers for the service.
Old 08-16-14, 02:25 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Mazdaspeed Miata from them last year. The overall shopping experience was pretty good. Friendly sales associates, that aren't pushy (since they're not on commission). The downside, like everyone said, is that their prices are a little higher than some other places. They offer an extended warranty, which supposedly covered a lot, but one of the downsides of it was that their service department isn't open on weekends (at least the one I bought my car from), so it would still end up costing me (as I would have to take time off from work etc.) any time I would bring the car in for service.
Old 08-16-14, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but it's getting riskier and riskier nowadays dealing with total strangers trying to sell your old car on the private market. There is the risk of robbery, carjacking, strangers coming into your home, the issues of who is going to drive back with who's license-plates/registration, illegal plates themselves, check-bouncing, not having someone who can legally witness and sign over a title, and, in some cases, having to report any cash/check purchase over $10,000 to the FBI. Then, you have to go to the DMV and do THEIR required paperwork/transfers......to put it bluntly, it's both risky and a pain in the a**.

Unless you know the people you are dealing with and/or have access to a Notary Public or legal witness, even if you don't always get the full trade-in value you might want for your old car, it's usually easier and better to simply do all of this at a car dealership. They will have a safe/secure environment for the inspections/test-drives, temporary (or even permanent) state license-plates, temporary registration, a Notary Public or other person who can sign-over titles, state and emissions-inspection facilities if needed, Car Fax reports, the ability to verify credit-worthiness or the credibility of a check/bank-account, and the ability to report a 10K+ purchase to the proper authorities. That is why so many transactions today are done at new/used-car dealerships, and why companies like Car Max have grown so explosively.
Yes Craigslist has that reputation though if people didn't have success on there it wouldn't be around.

As it stands there is a business case for Car Max well until those car vending machines start coming to fruition
Old 08-17-14, 01:20 AM
surga7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I went to carmax today doing 2nd inspection on 2013 IS F, found a body work on right rear between passenger door and taillights. I decided to pass on it. I didn't see it on my first inspection.