Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Planning Sub-ATS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 09:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think Cadillac needs to develop a decent flagship first that will give them some real luxury cred. After that happens, more buyers will want to get in at the entry level. The entry-level cars have worked well for MB and BMW because they have luxury cred and people will buy the cheaper cars just for the emblems. If they introduce a sub-ATS first they will be going about this *** backwards.
A flagship would do nothing right now. Cadillac had their chance in the mid 90s.

Cadillac has no problem selling the Escalade at Lexus prices but they can't get Lexus/MB/BMW people into their ATS and CTS.

Cadillac would do well as a sub luxury or entry luxury car.
Old 08-18-14, 09:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Cadillacs failure in the European market means little, what Cadillac has succeeded in Europe?

In North America, a Cruze based Cadillac would sell like hotcakes.
While styling/pricing is crucial, I don't think so. The ATS again is struggling. People think Cadillac they think Big, not small. Its one of the reasons the Escalade has sold so well, it brings to mind the Caddy's of the 60s in a new way.

Now would a Caddy SUV below the SRX sell. I think that has a better chance.

The fact of the matter is sedans are a tougher sell and they have to really hit the mark.

Old 08-18-14, 09:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
While styling/pricing is crucial, I don't think so. The ATS again is struggling. People think Cadillac they think Big, not small. Its one of the reasons the Escalade has sold so well, it brings to mind the Caddy's of the 60s in a new way.

The fact of the matter is sedans are a tougher sell and they have to really hit the mark.
You are wrong. The Escalade is all about status, status, status, and some bling. The Escalade is perceived as a more desirable SUV than a GL, Navigator, Range Rover and yes a Lexus LX.
Old 08-18-14, 09:16 PM
LexFather

You are wrong. The Escalade is all about status, status, status, and some bling. The Escalade is perceived as a more desirable SUV than a GL, Navigator, Range Rover and yes a Lexus LX.
I am wrong.

Yes, you are completely right, what was I thinking. Clearly I have no bloody idea what I am talking about.

Old 08-18-14, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Good point. And, with the Lincoln MKC already in showrooms, and the Lexus NX on the way, there will be some pressure on Cadillac marketing to join the club.
Old 08-18-14, 09:50 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with your comments about the Lincoln. They are not really a trye luxury brand, however I do believe that certain cars like the Fusion based Lincoln competes head on with the ES.
The MKZ does in fact compete well against the ES. But then again, they are both based off their mainstream brand's FWD-biased bread and butter sedans.

Both the Fusion based Lincoln and the ES are a notch above the Lacrosse.

Do you think Cadillac might succeed with a Cruze based Cadillac ???
I think if the "Buick" brand can sell sedans in good numbers based off existing Chevy platforms, Cadillac could certainly do it. No matter whatever struggles Cadillac has had in the past, it is still a premium nameplate (and the pinnacle of American luxury) and an entry level compact sedan would sell quite well in my opinion. Now will their marketing of such sedan be successful? Not so sure.

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think Cadillac needs to develop a decent flagship first that will give them some real luxury cred. After that happens, more buyers will want to get in at the entry level. The entry-level cars have worked well for MB and BMW because they have luxury cred and people will buy the cheaper cars just for the emblems. If they introduce a sub-ATS first they will be going about this *** backwards.
The flagship is already coming sometime next year, as has been pointed out. This sub-ATS sedan would come after that. Regardless, this nonsense about Flagships giving the entry level models more cred, is, well, nonsense. Acura had no trouble selling the TL & TSX for years without a proper flagship. That argument simply doesn't work.

Cadillacs failure in the European market means little, what Cadillac has succeeded in Europe?

In North America, a Cruze based Cadillac would sell like hotcakes.
Agreed.

You get it
Old 08-18-14, 10:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good point. And, with the Lincoln MKC already in showrooms, and the Lexus NX on the way, there will be some pressure on Cadillac marketing to join the club.
There is more of a business case for a Caddy SUV below the SRX than whatever these internetz people think.

It took Benz decades to produce a CLA, Audi the A3. For one to really think Caddy can suddenly make a car below the ATS when the ATS is a year old itself is just ridiculous.

Old 08-18-14, 10:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its tough to say what Cadillac will do. I think the Chevrolet Orlando could be converted into a Cadillac for the short term. I highly doubt any NX sized Cadillac will have its own platform.

Try as they might, I don't think the MKC will sell without incentives.
Old 08-18-14, 10:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For one to really think Caddy can suddenly make a car below the ATS when the ATS is a year old itself is just ridiculous.
Chevy Cruze. Turn it into a Caddy.
Old 08-18-14, 11:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
The MKZ does in fact compete well against the ES. But then again, they are both based off their mainstream brand's FWD-biased bread and butter sedans.

I think if the "Buick" brand can sell sedans in good numbers based off existing Chevy platforms, Cadillac could certainly do it. No matter whatever struggles Cadillac has had in the past, it is still a premium nameplate (and the pinnacle of American luxury) and an entry level compact sedan would sell quite well in my opinion. Now will their marketing of such sedan be successful? Not so sure.

The flagship is already coming sometime next year, as has been pointed out. This sub-ATS sedan would come after that. Regardless, this nonsense about Flagships giving the entry level models more cred, is, well, nonsense. Acura had no trouble selling the TL & TSX for years without a proper flagship. That argument simply doesn't work.

Agreed.

You get it
I think a Cadillac flagship will do as well as a VW Phaeton.
Old 08-18-14, 11:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I think a Cadillac flagship will do as well as a VW Phaeton.
Won't be as much about numbers as 'elevating' the brand image.

VW btw is considering a redo with the Phaeton Stateside
Old 08-18-14, 11:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Won't be as much about numbers as 'elevating' the brand image.

VW btw is considering a redo with the Phaeton Stateside
Numbers have something to do with it. The LS600h is a sales flop and has done nothing for the Lexus brand.
Old 08-19-14, 05:02 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Its tough to say what Cadillac will do. I think the Chevrolet Orlando could be converted into a Cadillac for the short term. I highly doubt any NX sized Cadillac will have its own platform.

Buick's new SUV would work as a more suitable donor.
Old 08-19-14, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Although it is still very early in its life, the MKC, so far, is doing exactly what I predicted....helping to bring Lincoln out of the doldrums.

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages...Increases.aspx

DEARBORN, Mich. - Lincoln had a great July with sales up 14 percent year-over-year. The brand sold 7,863 vehicles making this its best July since 2008. Erich Merkle, U.S. Sales Analyst, is optimistic about the remainder of 2014 for the luxury automaker.

“The rest of the year should bring really good results for Lincoln,” Merkle said. “As dealer lots continue to get more MKC’s I expect sales to continue to grow.”

Lincoln’s newcomer the premium utility MKC, sold over 1,500 units last month in its third month in the market. With an average turn of just 11 days on dealer lots, they are selling fast.

“Lincoln will see benefits from the MKC because the small premium utility segment is the fastest growing in the luxury space,” said Merkle.

The brand as whole has seen sales steadily rise throughout 2014 thus far.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/lin...oop+(CARSCOOPS)

If there is one automaker in this world I would like to see restored to its former glory (besides Alfa Romeo, of course), it is Lincoln. Ford has embarked on a comprehensive turnaround of its luxury brand that once was Cadillac’s main rival.

Sure, Lincoln has a very long way to go before it can boast with that rivalry again, but it appears that it is finally on the right track. The luxury automaker said it had the best July sales since 2008, with 7,863 vehicles being delivered to customers last month - 14 percent more than in July 2013.

A significant part of this growth is due to the brand’s latest product, the MKC crossover. Lincoln sold over 1,500 units in July, the model’s third month on the market. The company says the MKC has an average turn of just 11 days on dealer lots, a testimony to strong customer demand.

“The rest of the year should bring really good results for Lincoln. As dealer lots continue to get more MKC’s I expect sales to continue to grow, said Erich Merkle, Ford Motor Company U.S. Sales analyst. “Lincoln will see benefits from the MKC because the small premium utility segment is the fastest growing in the luxury space,” the executive added.
Old 08-19-14, 06:54 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That can be said for a lot of brands today.
I was just referring to luxury brands.

Infiniti: 2013 - 116,455
Lincoln: 2013 - 81,694
Jaguar-Land Rover: 2013 - 66,962
Volvo: 2013 - 61,233

Quick Reply: Cadillac Planning Sub-ATS?