Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 12:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Hoovey Review: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech

I was working on this last night after work and the gym but I fell asleep so posting this now:

This past month has been crazy. With yesterday being a Holiday, today was all the reporting. Towards the end of the day I running low on energy but I had to get out for a bit. There was some paperwork on my desk that needed to go next-door to our Acura store so the perfect chance to stretch my legs. I dropped it off and shot the **** with two of the Acura managers. Asked them how their month was etc... then I asked how their latest model was doing. One of them tossed a key at me and said have fun. Work can wait, it's not going anywhere

Exterior:

As I walked onto the lot and chirped the key fob, a TLX done in Bellanova White Pearl beckoned me. The Jewel Eye LED Headlights are one of the most striking visual features and quickly becoming an Acura signature. Love it or hate it the Acura 'beak/shield' can't be missed either but luckily as the years go by, it's becoming more refined. Chrome detailing in the air dam and surrounding rear reflectors is a nice touch. The sides and rear are mild at best but nothing offensive. This TLX had the 17" x 7.5" Alloy Wheels wrapped in 225/55/R17 Goodyear All-Seasons. The V6 has 18" which look better IMO. The Keyless Access System with Smart Entry has the little buttons on the front door handles but I prefer Lexus's integrated 'swipe' ones instead. The exterior reminds me of a 3rd gen TL albeit more modernized.

Interior:

The interior of the TLX is reminiscent of the RLX and MDX's interior design. My tester was done in perforated Graystone leather, while nice I'm more of a black interior fan myself. Unlike past modern Acura's which were cluttered with a sea of tiny buttons, the TLX continues the trend of simplified controls. The Navigation is recessed at the top of the dash and a smaller LCD which controls Audio, Climate etc.. is below that. Controls are logical though I did a double take on the latter screen much like I did with the Q50 I reviewed a few months ago. Material quality considering the price is good indeed. Add the fact this car (like other Acura's) is assembled like a Swiss Watch, it's well to do. Nice colors and contrasts throughout the cabin, stitching and wood make for a pleasant place to be. I was a big fan of the easy to read analog gauges that are lit well, reminds me of the 2IS Electroluminescent ones. Graphics are good on the display screen between said gauges. Steering wheel is on the thinner side when gripping, but it has a nice layout. The TLX comes in Base, Technology and Advanced Packages. Mine had the middle Tech Pkg and for a MSRP of $35,920 it includes Navigation (graphics are really sad), Rear Camera, AcuraLink, Acura ELS Premium Audio, Blind Spot Information, Forward Collision Waring, Lane Keeping Assist System, Raining Sensing Wipers and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, not a bad deal at all. The TLX has the Text Messaging Function as well as Pandora functionality. Emergency brake is an electronic one found below the shifter. Front seats are comfy enough and have the driver seat has a rather standard 10-way while the passenger gets 4-way power, of course these seats pale in comparison to the GSh I’m smitten about. Hopped in the back and there was ample leg room for my 5’ 9” frame. The TLX while shorter than the TL didn’t sacrifice interior space thanks in part to reducing the overhangs of the car rather than the cabin. There is no pass through but that’s ok since the seats are 60/40 split. Opened the trunk to find plenty of storage and space but no spare, just a Tire Sealant and Inflator Kit. Trunk is lined nicely. And lastly, the TLX has a sunglass holder!!!! *squinty eyes at you Lexus..*

Drive:

The Start/Stop Engine button is hidden to the right of the steering wheel, but it’s hard to miss because of it’s vibrant anodized red color. Step on the brake and push the button and a familiar ‘Acura’ I4 starts up and quickly settles down. To put the car in gear, 4 Cylinder models come equipped with a standard shifter while the V6 models use an electronic shifter from the RLX. As is the trend on newer cars, the TLX has a ‘Personality Selector’ as I call it (Lexus is called Driver Mode Select), Acura uses Integrated Dynamics System or (IDS) which has Eco, Normal, Sport and Sport+ located near the shifter. Leaving the lot and getting onto the road I had it in Normal to start. With 206hp from it’s 2.4L I4 there is plenty of pep but Normal is among the most relaxing modes. Power is routed through wait for it.. an 8-Speed Dual Clutch Transmission with a traditional torque converter (industry first to my knowledge). The result is one of the smoothest shifting transmissions I’ve felt from a DCT which while lightning quick are notorious for being clunky at lower speeds, not this one. V6 models use a 9-Speed Automatic. Road noise is suppressed and better than past Acura’s (IMO) but still trails some premium and luxury competition. For giggles I set the IDS to Eco and as expected the throttle response feels as if the engine has lost power (it hasn’t lol) and functions very similar to Lexus ‘Eco’ modes. The 2.4 is rated at 24/35 and 28 overall, I’d certainly believe it can muster those numbers but not for this test. So Sport it goes! Truthfully Sport was the one I had the hardest time figuring out the difference. It felt like Normal but maybe the placebo affect of ‘Sport’ is just that, a marginal change. Of course if Eco/Normal/Sport is like Stagnant (albeit clean) water, a soothing brook, and calm river respectively, Sport+ would best be described as white water rapids. Switch to Sport+ and immediately the tach jumps to 3K and a sense that Si engineers may of had fun with this one. In Sport+ the TLX loves to play in the loftier RPM’s. Downshifting has to be one of the highlights thanks to the the 8DCT, it’s hard not to keep it in the powerband. While the I4 doesn’t have the optional SH-AWD like the V6 does, it still has Acura’s P-AWS (Precision All Wheel Steer) which keeps the car in order when making a hard turn. Yes you can still get plenty of torque steer but the industry has done wonders with FWD and Handling. I found the suspension to be tuned appropriately, enough stiffness and comfort. In fact I’d say it’s tauter than the ES and less jarring than the CT. Pulled back into the dealer with a smile.

Overall Impressions:

Acura did a fine job of merging the TSX and TL into one vehicle. Is it perfect? No. Is it offensive? No. What we have here is simply a good car that should reward its owners with quality, technology and value. Acura has struggled with more than half their stable, but if the TLX is any indication of future Acura vehicles, its a step in the right direction for the recognition they deserve on this. Where some older Acura’s may of felt ‘cold’, the TLX has a certain charm and personality that make it a likable vehicle even if design is subjective. The 8DCT and I4 combination is a brilliant pairing. A few suggestions would be to make SH-AWD available on the I4, add the spare tire and improve the navigation graphics which remind of a Lexus Gen4 navigation system (in layman's terms - not good ).

Last edited by Hoovey689; 09-03-14 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 12:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice review Hoovey.

Glad to see an impartial, open minded review.

IMO all TSXs should come with 18s standard, 17s cheapen the look. 19s are optional I believe.
Old 09-03-14, 01:16 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a nice car, however I don't see it as a legitimate competitor against the IS, 3, A4.
Old 09-03-14, 04:29 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if the price difference with a loaded Accord is worth it? Not to mention that you can get the Accord with a sport suspension and a 6MT.
Old 09-03-14, 06:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
(for the lamen - means not good ).

]

You calling us lame-o's?
or laymen?

That same small trunk passthrough from the accord
Old 09-03-14, 06:50 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw my first TLX in DC last weekend... white, with the bigger wheels (split 5 spoke) and a spoiler. Very nice looking in person
Old 09-03-14, 07:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nice review Hoovey.

Glad to see an impartial, open minded review.

IMO all TSXs should come with 18s standard, 17s cheapen the look. 19s are optional I believe.
Thanks bagwell! Yeah the 18" V6 ones look good

Originally Posted by doge
Its a nice car, however I don't see it as a legitimate competitor against the IS, 3, A4.
At 190.2in I don't think it's a legitimate competitor to the ones you listed either

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
I wonder if the price difference with a loaded Accord is worth it? Not to mention that you can get the Accord with a sport suspension and a 6MT.
It'd have to be up to the buyer's taste, affluence, employment etc..

For me while I like the newest Accord (more than any recent Accord) the more premium materials and the powertrains would be worth it to me.

Originally Posted by pman6
You calling us lame-o's?
or laymen?

That same small trunk passthrough from the accord
Lol no sir. It was pertaining to those unfamiliar with Lexus Navigation Generations, it should of read 'in layman terms'. I'll edit it.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I saw my first TLX in DC last weekend... white, with the bigger wheels (split 5 spoke) and a spoiler. Very nice looking in person
While not for everybody, it's certainly generating some buzz for Acura which is what they need
Old 09-03-14, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice review, Hoovey. Your overall impressions of Acura's superb, Swiss-Watch assembly quality are pretty much what my (previous) experience with Acuras have been, too...especially with the last 2Gen RL. The DCT with the torque-converter sounds like an ideal combination for both silkiness and efficiency.

But will they EVER learn with those parrot-beaks?

You brought up an interesting question of why the SH-AWD is not used with the 2.4L 4. Here's my take on it: While the 2.4L does make a respectable 206 HP, its 182 ft-lbs. of torque at a rather high 4600 RPM might not be quite enough for the added weight/drag in an AWD car of this size. Lexus, Infiniti, and Subaru all produce AWD sedans and other vehicles with engines in this size/power range, and, while adequate for normal relaxed driving, tend to be too sluggish if you want (or need) a quick burst of power.

I haven't driven a TLX yet. How do you feel it compares to the former TSX and TL, which it is intended to replace? If the ILX is dropped (which looks likely due to poo sales), the TLX, of course, is going to be the new entry-level Acura sedan in the U.S. market.

What's with the center-console lid? Looks like the car had not gone through PDI yet, and nobody pulled off the shrink-wrap (although they're off the seats). (I've done that myself on a few reviews......help PDI the car).

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-14 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 08:13 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If the ILX is dropped (which looks likely due to poo sales), the TLX, of course, is going to be the new entry-level Acura sedan in the U.S. market.
You really think Acura might drop the ILX?
Sure, sales aren't great, but they're not terrible either. I would be pretty surprised if they dropped it. But okay, if you think the ILX will be dropped with its monthly 1500-1900 sales, what do you think Acura will do with the RLX with its monthly 200-300 sales?
Old 09-03-14, 08:21 PM
Hoovey689

Nice review, Hoovey. Your overall impressions of Acura's superb, Swiss-Watch assembly quality are pretty much what my (previous) experience with Acuras have been, too...especially with the last 2Gen RL. The DCT with the torque-converter sounds like an ideal combination for both silkiness and efficiency.

But will they EVER learn with those parrot-beaks?

You brought up an interesting question of why the SH-AWD is not used with the 2.4L 4. Here's my take on it: While the 2.4L does make a respectable 206 HP, its 182 ft-lbs. of torque at a rather high 4600 RPM might not be quite enough for the added weight/drag in an AWD car of this size. Lexus, Infiniti, and Subaru all produce AWD sedans and other vehicles with engines in this size/power range, and, while adequate for normal relaxed driving, tend to be too sluggish if you want (or need) a quick burst of power.

I haven't driven a TLX yet. How do you feel it compares to the former TSX and TL, which it is intended to replace? If the ILX is dropped (which looks likely due to poo sales), the TLX, of course, is going to be the new entry-level Acura sedan in the U.S. market.
Thanks Marshall. Yeah this transmission is a gem. I hope they implement it on more models.

Since the beak is subjective I can only give my own opinion. Seems like they are sticking with it for now, but like I posted above, it's slowly becoming more refined. Certainly not as offensive as the 2009 TL but agreed it's not the prettiest.

Agreed it would make it sluggish, but it'd handle superbly once you get it to speed

The TLX feels far more buttoned down than the TSX and marginally more refined than the TL. Amazing what a new transmission can do to improve a car
Old 09-03-14, 08:27 PM
Hoovey689

What's with the center-console lid? Looks like the car had not gone through PDI yet, and nobody pulled off the shrink-wrap (although they're off the seats). (I've done that myself on a few reviews......help PDI the car).
Car has been PDI'd, sometimes we just leave the plastics on (unless they interfere with the test drive) to keep parts of the car clean and blemish free until delivery.
Old 09-03-14, 08:28 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, Hoovey. Good to see the TLX is on the right track. I stopped by my local Acura dealer and looked at a black one with 18" wheels and a body kit that ran the sticker up to $44k. Driving up, it looked great from the back (even without the exhaust portals) but once I got around to the front it was "meh". I guess with the diamond headlights on it would have been more impressive. It think they will sell plenty of these!

The RLX on the other hand... why can't Acura's designers just pull out all the stops and create a kick-*** flagship?
Old 09-03-14, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
You really think Acura might drop the ILX?
Sure, sales aren't great, but they're not terrible either. I would be pretty surprised if they dropped it. But okay, if you think the ILX will be dropped with its monthly 1500-1900 sales, what do you think Acura will do with the RLX with its monthly 200-300 sales?
Well, OK, you might have a point. The ILX hybrid, though, WAS dropped this year. The gas model might still be kept in the lineup just by default. If the sales are up to 1500-1900 units, that's a definite increase lately, but still not in line with several of its competitors.

As far as the RLX goes, if people will go to an Acura shop and actually drive it, I think sales will pick up. I reviewed one recently, and was quite impressed with its road manners. Though not as nearly as solidly tank-like in its construction as its 2Gen RL predecessor, and lacking SH-AWD in the non-hybrid versions, its road manners are that of a true luxury car. I don't have that feeling, though, about the ILX........though well-built, IMO it was just too neglected in its development, and lacks refinement and comfort. It's just too much of a Civic with some Acura trim and hardware on it.
Old 09-03-14, 09:06 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the impartial review. I think Acura did a GREAT job with the TLX, except for the ugly 17s. I would have definitely considered this car if it was out when i bought my 3IS, even though it's not a main competitor. In the end, i think i'd still go for the 3IS instead of the TLX, but if i had a family and needed a bigger car, I would definitely choose the TLX over the ES anyday everyday.
Old 09-03-14, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
The RLX on the other hand... why can't Acura's designers just pull out all the stops and create a kick-*** flagship?
See my comments to this from post #13.

As far as the RLX goes, if people will go to an Acura shop and actually drive it, I think sales will pick up. I reviewed one recently, and was quite impressed with its road manners. Though not as nearly as solidly tank-like in its construction as its 2Gen RL predecessor, and lacking SH-AWD in the non-hybrid versions, its road manners are that of a true luxury car.

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech