Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SUV/CUVs outsell sedans

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 06:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This whole idea that the family sedan is dead is not exactly true. It is still alive.
false straw man. No one said they're dead. just dying a slow death.

Toyota and Honda have not exactly been proactive it getting their Camry's and Accord's updated. Both are using old engines ...
the accord earthdreams engine and massively overhauled cvt combo is quite new.

Once the Camry, Accord get the proper updates with new engines and features, the family size sedans will take off again.
lol
Old 09-06-16, 06:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So, what you're saying then, is that the true replacement for the mid-sized family sedan is actually one step up from the Rogue/RAV-4/Escape class........the Pilot/Highlander/Murano/Explorer class. Yes, that would make more sense.
makes absolutely no sense. except murano those vehicles you mention eat camrys and accords for breakfast, they're WAY bigger (3 row too).
Old 09-06-16, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

And that Diahuatsu Rocky looks like a great rig as well. I didn't know Diahuatsu ever sold cars in the US, I thought they just did kei cars over in Japan.
Yeah, Daihatsu brought the Charade sub-compact and Rocky CUV over here for a couple of years, from the late 80s to early 90s. It was obvious that they couldn't compete here in the long run, though, and they pulled out before long, despite promises that they wouldn't.

Here was my favorite of the American Daihausu commercials of the time, though it wasn't very prophetic:

1991 Daihatsu Charade commercial - YouTube
Old 09-06-16, 06:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the accord earthdreams engine and massively overhauled cvt combo is quite new.
Not to mention the Accord exterior has been freshened and looks quite nice now, and it now handles things like Apple Carplay. It is a great car in its current iteration, and I am seeing the '16 models everywhere these days.

To add to the topic, this car was for my cousin and my mother to tool around in, so I drove the CR-V as well, thinking they would like the extra cargo room, but it wallowed around like it was on stilts in comparison to the buttoned-down chassis on the Accord. No contest there. I got the accord. I would rather they be safe.

Last edited by dseag2; 09-06-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
To add to the topic, this car was for my cousin and my mother to tool around in, so I drove the CR-V as well, thinking they would like the extra cargo room, but it wallowed around like it was on stilts in comparison to the buttoned-down chassis on the Accord. No contest there. I got the accord. I would rather they be safe.
That so-called "wallowing" also (usually) means ride comfort over bumps. The CR-V is noted for its smooth ride compared to others in this class.
Old 09-06-16, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i did 2 long test drives in the '15 cr-v touring when i was shopping, and would have bought one had the one i was scheduled to pickup not been broken with a faulty electronic module. Anyway, i was impressed how it handled - very Honda predictable. Maybe the bigger wheels on the touring helped?
Old 09-06-16, 07:20 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i did 2 long test drives in the cr-v touring, would have bought one had the one i was scheduled to pickup not been broken with a faulty electronic module. Anyway, i was impressed how it handled - very Honda predictable. Maybe the bigger wheels on the touring helped?
That could be. The minute I drove the CR-V off the lot and down the street I was looking for excuses to move to the next car. I also found the interior to be pretty cheap-looking compared to the Accord or even the Civic.
Old 09-06-16, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That could be. The minute I drove the CR-V off the lot and down the street I was looking for excuses to move to the next car. I also found the interior to be pretty cheap-looking compared to the Accord or even the Civic.
What did you think of its overall build-quality? With a few exceptions (such as the noted attempt to cut costs on the 2012 Civic) Hondas are known for Swiss-Watch-quality materials and assembly.
Old 09-07-16, 07:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ You get A LOT more room in a Rav4 than a Camry and it costs about the same. There isn't a big penalty in gas mileage either and the Rav4 drives about like the 4 cylinder Camry with similar handling. The Rav4 is slower, but people buying 4 cylinder cars don't really care. IMO the base Rav4 at 23k is a much more compelling buy than the Camry at 23k, you get A LOT more car for the $$$$. Now at 33k for a loaded Rav4 Hybrid or loaded SE V6 Camry, no doubt I'd buy the Camry because I'm a horsepower junkie and the Camry will straight run circles around the Rav4. Its just a lot more fun in V6 trim. If Toyota still offered the Rav4 with the V6 like the last gen, I'd probably take one of those over a V6 Camry.
There is less usable passenger space in the RAV4 than the Camry. The perception is that the RAV4 is roomy, due to its greater height, which translates to greater headroom, but despite the greater width of the RAV4, passenger width is less than the Camry. This is especially so in the rear rear seat, which is very narrow, and closer to Corolla rear seat width than Camry rear seat width. Fitting 3 in the rear seat of the RAV4 is an extremely tight fit.

The only reason I can think of for this narrow passenger space is that the old Corolla platform that the RAV4 is based upon could not support a wider rear seat. Due to the cancellation of the Venza, Toyota does not have a true mid-size, 2-row crossover; there is the compact crossover RAV4 and there is the large, 3-row Highlander, but nothing to compete against the Nissan Murano nor the Ford Edge. Honda is in the same boat but the CR-V's rear seat is wider than the RAV4's.
Old 09-07-16, 08:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
There is less usable passenger space in the RAV4 than the Camry. The perception is that the RAV4 is roomy, due to its greater height, which translates to greater headroom, but despite the greater width of the RAV4, passenger width is less than the Camry. This is especially so in the rear rear seat, which is very narrow, and closer to Corolla rear seat width than Camry rear seat width. Fitting 3 in the rear seat of the RAV4 is an extremely tight fit..
I had already mentioned that the Rav4 is not truly a suitable or comparable replacement than the Camry, your points are well taken and I agree. Its an entry level Toyota built off the Corolla platform. Some of the bits and pieces in the interior come right from the Corolla. And you do not get a a lot more than you would get in a Camry. The rear seats of the Rav4 is smaller and the overall interior volume is less than a Camry. I do understand that buyers get a AWD with the Rav4 but the fuel economy suffers and honesty, $30K for a mid-range 4 cylinder Rav4 is a hard pill to swallow. People are simply picking features, AWD and a smaller car platform for similar money than you could spend on a Camry. Its too bad the 2.5 5-speed AWD Toyota Matrix is not still around, it would give a better understanding to those who are not understanding the Corolla comparison. The Rav4 is for those who do not want a Scion IM or the former Matrix.

The Camry should be all-new for this year, but it soldiers on in the 6th model years with engine options that are 11 years old. If the Camry was properly updated with new tech, a slightly larger size, new engines, and perhaps a more competitive price, it would sell better than it is. But Toyota still sold 32K units last month of the Camry which is still outstanding.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-07-16 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 08:46 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The current gen Rav4 is neither here nor there. The next gen Rav4 with have the refinement and flexibility to be a true replacement/substitute for the Camry. Right now it is just an oversized Corolla in-between the Corolla and Camry, a stopgap product so to speak. It is still noisy and unrefined. With the new C-HR taking the entry level spot, the Rav4 can move up a segment in size and refinement, especially with the new TNGA platform and maybe new engines with the 2.0t at its current power level (the next NX might get a higher tuned version allegedly).
Old 09-07-16, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Camry should be all-new for this year, but it soldiers on in the 6th model years with engine options that are 11 years old. If the Camry was properly updated with new tech, a slightly larger size, new engines, and perhaps a more competitive price, it would sell better than it is. But Toyota still sold 32K units last month of the Camry which is still outstanding.
Well, as I see it, that alone proves that engines don't have to be constantly updated. In fact, in many cases, the longer an engine is in production, the more reliable it will likely be, because teething and even some long-term durability problems will have been worked out. One of the best examples of that was the old GM 3.8L V6, in both N/A and supercharged versions.
Old 09-07-16, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, as I see it, that alone proves that engines don't have to be constantly updated. In fact, in many cases, the longer an engine is in production, the more reliable it will likely be, because teething and even some long-term durability problems will have been worked out. One of the best examples of that was the old GM 3.8L V6, in both N/A and supercharged versions.
They do need to be updated. This is where I cannot agree with you. A newer Camry on a new platform that is lighter, perhaps larger with more efficient modern engines is next. Historically Toyota does not go 6 model years with the Camry. Just compare the new Honda Civic power number from their 1.5 turbo to the current 11 year old Camry engine. Then look at the MPG of the Civic which is just 300 lbs lighter than the Camry.

he longer an engine is in production, the more reliable it will likely be, because teething and even some long-term durability problems will have been worked out.
The hallmark of the Toyota brand is reliability. The Camry engines in the current model were reliable when they came out. I can't speak for the 3.8 by GM as they historically have produced very unreliable vehicles.
Old 09-07-16, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They do need to be updated. This is where I cannot agree with you.
Well, you're arguing with yourself, not me. You yourself commented on how the Camry sold 32K units last month with a decade-old engine.

The hallmark of the Toyota brand is reliability. The Camry engines in the current model were reliable when they came out.
Most Camry engines have indeed been reliable over the years, but the original 2.0 four in the 1Gen version was known for defective ignition-coils, and the 3.0L V6 had a huge number of sludge/gel problems if oil-change schedules were not religiously kept.

I can't speak for the 3.8 by GM as they historically have produced very unreliable vehicles.
That engine was in production for so long (1962-2008) that it ended up more reliable than the sunrise.
Old 09-07-16, 09:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You yourself commented on how the Camry sold 32K units last month with a decade-old engine.
There is something you are missing . The current sales of the Camry are down 12% for the month and 8% for the year, and they are need all-time high incentives. With a proper update, the Camry would be selling a higher volumes.

Quick Reply: SUV/CUVs outsell sedans