Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SUV/CUVs outsell sedans

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 10:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is something you are missing :uManufacturersnt sales of the Camry are down 12% for the month and 8% for the year, and they are need all-time high incentives. With a proper update, the Camry would be selling a higher volumes.
I'm sure the Camry will get some more attention in due time. Manufacturers are focusing resources on the hot CUV segment. Once this trend levels off other models will get the resources.
Old 09-07-16, 02:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
makes absolutely no sense. except murano those vehicles you mention eat camrys and accords for breakfast, they're WAY bigger (3 row too).
Yes, there is a space efficiency difference....I didn't say otherwise. My point, though, was that they are done on the same platforms as the mid-size sedans, in contrast to the RAV-4/CR-V class, which is done on compact platforms.
Old 09-07-16, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is something you are missing . The current sales of the Camry are down 12% for the month and 8% for the year, and they are need all-time high incentives. With a proper update, the Camry would be selling a higher volumes.
I'm not really missing it. A 12% decrease is still a lot of Camrys. That's like counting a 12% decrease in the number of grains of sand in the Sahara.
Old 09-07-16, 04:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

The arguments about midsize sedan Camry having more usable cabin length and cabin width over compact SUV RAV4 are all very true.
The larger rolling diameter tires for a higher ground clearance, and passive 4WD of RAV4 - are only of real benefit in snowy winters like Colorado etc, but the excess weight of big tires/wheels and the AWD decreases performance, while increasing fuel consumption.

Traditionally, Camries have used 5 year model cycles, however the current Camry is set to be extended to at least 6 years [so that Toyota can develop aluminium content chassis & turbocharging], hence the Camry's major midlife facelift in 2015.
Traditionally, Toyota does not do major mid-life updates; even BMW does not generally do major mid-life updates - traditionally, only Mercedes does major mid-life updates to stimulate their sales.

I also like how they have separated SUV's from light trucks like the Toyota Tacoma & Ford F150 etc, because a light truck is a different type of vehicle.
However, I believe that sedan, hatch and wagon sales should be combined into one group because they are essentially the same cars with different rear "tailgate" opening designs.
If sales of sedans, hatches and wagons were combined, then I believe that the conventional sedan/hatch/wagon sales is still just ahead of the new "tall" SUV sales at 42.1% to 36.5% respectively.
Likewise, coupe and convertible sales should be grouped together too @ 4.4%, because they are essentially the same, albeit with different "roof top" designs.

However at the end of the day, who cares if low sports coupes outsell intermediate sedans?
Who cares if tall SUV's outsell intermediate sedans?
Stuff it; buy what suits each individual best, and enjoy...

Original 2012 Camry

Major Reskin Facelifted 2015 Camry for a longer model cycle...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-07-16 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 08:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Very well said peteharvey
Old 09-07-16, 08:57 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What did you think of its overall build-quality? With a few exceptions (such as the noted attempt to cut costs on the 2012 Civic) Hondas are known for Swiss-Watch-quality materials and assembly.
Not to say that the build quality wasn't good, but for some reason the materials and layout just didn't impress me.
Old 09-08-16, 05:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
There is less usable passenger space in the RAV4 than the Camry. The perception is that the RAV4 is roomy, due to its greater height, which translates to greater headroom, but despite the greater width of the RAV4, passenger width is less than the Camry. This is especially so in the rear rear seat, which is very narrow, and closer to Corolla rear seat width than Camry rear seat width. Fitting 3 in the rear seat of the RAV4 is an extremely tight fit.

The only reason I can think of for this narrow passenger space is that the old Corolla platform that the RAV4 is based upon could not support a wider rear seat. Due to the cancellation of the Venza, Toyota does not have a true mid-size, 2-row crossover; there is the compact crossover RAV4 and there is the large, 3-row Highlander, but nothing to compete against the Nissan Murano nor the Ford Edge. Honda is in the same boat but the CR-V's rear seat is wider than the RAV4's.
Have you actually done a road trip in the back seat of the current Camry and the current Rav4??? I have and the Rav4 has the better back seat, its more comfortable and reclines for naps. I looked up the dimensions of the Camry and Rav4 back seat, you get about 1.5" more leg room in the Camry(not noticable IMO) and the rear seat is narrower 54" of hip room in the Camry vs 48" in the Rav4. I've sat 3 across in both cars, both cars it sucks, but despite the Rav4 having a narrower seat, there is no hump in the floor so its not quite as awkward for the person riding *****. I suppose this may be an issue if you try to fit 3 cars seats in the back seat of the Rav4, they might fit better in the Camry, but either way you should be buying a bigger car if you have that many kids.

What I mainly meant by a ton more room in the Rav4 was in the hatch vs the Camry's trunk. Rear seats up in the Rav4 and it can already hold more than most sedan's trunks, fold the rear seats down in the Rav4 and its like a van.
Old 09-08-16, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Have you actually done a road trip in the back seat of the current Camry and the current Rav4??? I have and the Rav4 has the better back seat, its more comfortable and reclines for naps.
I'm not a big fan of the current RAV-4 for several reasons (among them cheap-grade hardware/trim and sheet metal), but that's one of its few good selling points......besides reliability, of course. The rear seat relines for passengers, even in the base version......something that you won't find in some versions of the new Cadillac XT5, a vehicle costing (roughly) twice as much as a RAV-4. And, unlike much of the rest of the flimsy-feeling hardware/trim inside a RAV-4, the rear-seat relining mechanism feels as sold as a rock when you use it.
Old 09-09-16, 05:26 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you actually done a road trip in the back seat of the current Camry and the current Rav4??? I have and the Rav4 has the better back seat, its more comfortable and reclines for naps. I looked up the dimensions of the Camry and Rav4 back seat, you get about 1.5" more leg room in the Camry(not noticable IMO) and the rear seat is narrower 54" of hip room in the Camry vs 48" in the Rav4. I've sat 3 across in both cars, both cars it sucks, but despite the Rav4 having a narrower seat, there is no hump in the floor so its not quite as awkward for the person riding *****. I suppose this may be an issue if you try to fit 3 cars seats in the back seat of the Rav4, they might fit better in the Camry, but either way you should be buying a bigger car if you have that many kids.
I have not done road trips with 5 (1 in a child car seat) in the RAV4 or the current Camry but I owned the previous generation Corolla and the previous generation Camry, and I own a current-generation ES (similar to the Camry but more rear leg room). The Camry and ES was nice enough, but the Corolla was a real squeeze.

Noting the similarity in width of the RAV4 and the Corolla (I have sat in the RAV4 back seat many, many times), I just could not justify getting it and putting my back seat riders in continued misery.

What I mainly meant by a ton more room in the Rav4 was in the hatch vs the Camry's trunk. Rear seats up in the Rav4 and it can already hold more than most sedan's trunks, fold the rear seats down in the Rav4 and its like a van.
The cargo space available in the RAV4 and the easy access to it is what makes me want to like the RAV4. I continue to hope that Toyota will bring back a (Camry) station wagon model.
Old 09-09-16, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
There is less usable passenger space in the RAV4 than the Camry. The perception is that the RAV4 is roomy, due to its greater height, which translates to greater headroom, but despite the greater width of the RAV4, passenger width is less than the Camry. This is especially so in the rear rear seat, which is very narrow, and closer to Corolla rear seat width than Camry rear seat width. Fitting 3 in the rear seat of the RAV4 is an extremely tight fit.

The only reason I can think of for this narrow passenger space is that the old Corolla platform that the RAV4 is based upon could not support a wider rear seat. Due to the cancellation of the Venza, Toyota does not have a true mid-size, 2-row crossover; there is the compact crossover RAV4 and there is the large, 3-row Highlander, but nothing to compete against the Nissan Murano nor the Ford Edge. Honda is in the same boat but the CR-V's rear seat is wider than the RAV4's.
while the rav4 may be narrower than a camry and provide less 'usable passenger space', that doesn't mean less overall space. in a cuv/suv you can stand suitcases and other bulky items VERTICALLY of course, which makes for a giant difference in 'usable cargo space' vs. a trunk.
Old 09-09-16, 08:41 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while the rav4 may be narrower than a camry and provide less 'usable passenger space', that doesn't mean less overall space. in a cuv/suv you can stand suitcases and other bulky items VERTICALLY of course, which makes for a giant difference in 'usable cargo space' vs. a trunk.
I am not disputing that. I just need the passenger space more than I need cargo space -- the width of a mid-size car's rear seat suits me much better than the compact-car width rear seat in the RAV4.
Old 09-09-16, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't understand all the armchair Rav4 lovers in this thread. The Rav4 has a payload capacity of 900lbs. This is barely adequate to move 5 full size adults, luggage and the such. Load up the Rav4 will 900 lbs and you ain't moving very fast or efficient. A Highlander is the appropriate vehicle to replace a Camry, it just costs more than the Rav4 people are willing to pay.
Old 09-09-16, 11:02 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand all the armchair Rav4 lovers in this thread. The Rav4 has a payload capacity of 900lbs. This is barely adequate to move 5 full size adults, luggage and the such. Load up the Rav4 will 900 lbs and you ain't moving very fast or efficient. A Highlander is the appropriate vehicle to replace a Camry, it just costs more than the Rav4 people are willing to pay.
I don't get it either. It's an ugly vehicle that looked outdated the moment it was released, with a cheap interior to go with it. The CR-V is leaps and bounds better.
Old 09-09-16, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta agree with Jill on this one. The RAV-4 has a reliable drivetrain, but its thin sheet metal and somewhat flimsy hardware inside and out leave a lot to be desired. The only thing inside that was really worth the money was the standard recking rear seat (even on base versions), and the durable seat-reclining latches on this seats. It was about the only thing inside that IMO didn't feel cheap. The Highlander is indeed the natural replacement for the Camry.
Old 09-09-16, 01:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

So this is the thread where we're only allowed to hate on the RAV4? Got it.

Quick Reply: SUV/CUVs outsell sedans