Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS vs IS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 08:56 AM
kamauxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS vs IS?

Greetings forum members.

I'm soon to be buying a current model GS or IS and I'm torn between the two. I like the GS more for its size and the IS more for the aggressive looks.

I'm wondering if anyone else here chose between the two, and if so which did you end up with and why?

Also, I'll be buying used (spending no more than 36k). I understand Toyota built vehicles are known for their reliability but how many miles is "too many" for one of these cars? The last thing I want to do is buy a car just out of warranty and have issues with it.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-14, 09:21 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-and-why.html

I think a lot of people cross shop the IS and the GS. I chose the GS for the options and the interior quality. Quite honestly, I think most people would be happy with either one, myself included.

Both engines are proven reliable well past 100k miles, and have been market tested for almost 10 years now.
Old 11-19-14, 09:22 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Depends on what you are looking, are you looking for a car for your self or will you be driving around friends and family?
Old 11-19-14, 09:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

My IS is currently sitting at over 111k miles and it's still going strong. If I didn't have a kid on the way I'd probably keep it longer. It really comes down to whether or not you need the size and whether you want a sportier or more luxurious ride. Personally, I love the interior and giant screen on the GS so that's what I'm going for this time around
Old 11-19-14, 09:55 AM
kamauxx
Rookie

Originally Posted by doge
Depends on what you are looking, are you looking for a car for your self or will you be driving around friends and family?
I'm married with 3 kids. I had a 2013 Mercedes C Class last year that I got rid of after only 5 weeks of ownership because of how small the back seat was.

I have another car, however, for the family to ride in. So this will primarily be used for my commute.
Old 11-19-14, 09:56 AM
kamauxx
Rookie

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
Good thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-and-why.html

I think a lot of people cross shop the IS and the GS. I chose the GS for the options and the interior quality. Quite honestly, I think most people would be happy with either one, myself included.

Both engines are proven reliable well past 100k miles, and have been market tested for almost 10 years now.
7 pages of info...thanks! Going to check it out now.
Old 11-19-14, 10:22 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kamauxx
I'm married with 3 kids. I had a 2013 Mercedes C Class last year that I got rid of after only 5 weeks of ownership because of how small the back seat was.

I have another car, however, for the family to ride in. So this will primarily be used for my commute.
Mmmm...kay.

You just answered your own question with your remarks. GS is obviously bigger/roomier than the IS and you got 3 kids.

Old 11-19-14, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

I'd say go with the GS. The extra money, IMO, will be worth the better comfort, interior, and refinement the GS will give you over the IS. Some versions (but not all) of both the IS and GS are available with AWD if you need winter traction.
Old 11-19-14, 10:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if space is remotely a problem for you and you had issues with c class? don't think of the IS
Old 11-19-14, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Yeah if you couldn't do the C Class for space the IS is going to be out. I've had several 3IS cars as loaners and I like them a lot, but they are much smaller than my GS and the interior is not nearly as nicely appointed. But, they are considerably cheaper new.

The 4GS is a killer buy used.
Old 11-19-14, 05:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if space is remotely a problem for you and you had issues with c class? don't think of the IS
kamauxx, look like you answered your own question, the IS is smaller then the C-Class.

1 wife and 3 kids, sounds like you need at least a LS, they won't even fit in the GS.
Old 11-19-14, 05:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Then I'm not sure why you'd bother with an IS--the back seat isn't materially larger than a C-Class.
Old 11-19-14, 06:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Do you value interior appointments and space, ride comfort, noise isolation, and top materials/fit/finish? If so, GS is your top pick. Remember it's 10K more (new) for a reason and it's mostly on the inside since most of the suspension components and powertrain are shared. Oh and the GS has leather seating vs IS comes with Nuluxe (vinyl) with leather as an option only on the non-F-Sport (if this matters to you).

Good luck.
Old 11-19-14, 08:14 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the IS backseats will make the C Class feel like a mansion inside
Old 11-19-14, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

as has been said, if the c class back seat was too small, the IS has been ruled out.

closing this thread.