Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Now HERE's how to paint a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Now HERE's how to paint a new car.

Though there are a few exceptions here and there (Mustang, Camaro, Charger/Challenger, etc...), one of my often-criticized policies about today's automakers is their tendency to either cheap out on the number of paint-colors offered, or to make most of their available colors look like something out of a funeral home. When the 50-60K Hyundai Equus, for example, first hit the American market a few years ago, it only offered four exterior colors...black, silver, gray, and white (dark brown has since been added). That.....considering the fact that Hyundai's own entry-level product (the Accent) that costs only one-quarter as much, offers at least six or seven, depending on the trim-version.

Well, IMO, here are at least two American-market manufacturers who still do it right....one low-priced, one upmarket. Fiat, on the 500 Pop, offered 15 different exterior colors, not only covering dull blacks/grays but virtually every color of the rainbow except pink and purple. Same with the Lotus Elise....which offers 16 colors of virtually every dull and bright shade. And Fiat shows that it can be done by a low-priced manufacturer that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for their cars, though it admittedly does charge extra ($500) for a couple of shades. VW also offers a decent color-choice on the Beetle, but to somewhat lesser extent.

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/500/pop/#

http://configurator.lotuscars.com

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-14 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 03:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Lexus to my knowledge just started charging more for the Infared and USB 2.0.
Old 11-30-14, 03:48 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to order your car without paint? Then take it to a local shop to custom paint it? I know I would! Wait..they paint inside the engine bay. Never mind.
Old 11-30-14, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to order your car without paint? Then take it to a local shop to custom paint it? I know I would!
The problem with doing that is that the whole car would essentially have to be disassembled down to the bare unibody frame, body-panels, and bumpers to make sure the paint job was complete and done properly. That's just too big a job for even a custom shop to do for a reasonable price. Then, you might have warranty-issues (and coverage-denial) if the car wasn't re-assembled properly.

Some very expensive makes like Rolls and Bentley (and the old custom-order Avantis that were built in South Bend) used to custom-build each car on the assembly line to the customer's order, and paint each car separately. But, again, those are not high-volume manufacturers, and each car is essentially hand-made.

Fiat and Lotus, IMO, do it right....offer the customers a wide choice of colors at the factory without charging six-figures for it, where the job can be done properly, on the assembly-line, as the car is being built.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-14 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 06:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to order your car without paint? Then take it to a local shop to custom paint it? I know I would! Wait..they paint inside the engine bay. Never mind.
You would run into all kinds of problems with rust if carmakers did that. Besides its amazing how car manufacturers have the primer/paint/rustproofing thing down to a science now days. The quality of finish a robot can paint a car in a few minutes would take an experienced body/paint guy at least 40 hours worth of sanding, painting, polishing, etc And that's assuming you give him a laser straight body in primer to start with.
Old 11-30-14, 08:20 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The problem with doing that is that the whole car would essentially have to be disassembled down to the bare unibody frame, body-panels, and bumpers to make sure the paint job was complete and done properly. That's just too big a job for even a custom shop to do for a reasonable price. Then, you might have warranty-issues (and coverage-denial) if the car wasn't re-assembled properly.

Some very expensive makes like Rolls and Bentley (and the old custom-order Avantis that were built in South Bend) used to custom-build each car on the assembly line to the customer's order, and paint each car separately. But, again, those are not high-volume manufacturers, and each car is essentially hand-made.

Fiat and Lotus, IMO, do it right....offer the customers a wide choice of colors at the factory without charging six-figures for it, where the job can be done properly, on the assembly-line, as the car is being built.
After further thought I'd go with Fiats option lime you said. Much better. Some companies can even paint the hood/roof etc different color. I forgot which one had the British flag on the roof
Old 11-30-14, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I forgot which one had the British flag on the roof
That was BMW's Mini....on some of the older ones. In addition to the Union Jack roof-option, you could also get an American flag, solid white or black, or a racing-checkered-flag roof. You could also get British Union-Jack side-mirrors. The car had so many different trim/pattern/color options that it was rare that two of them were ever built exactly alike.

And, BTW, thanks for bringing that up. I had almost forgotten that Mini also offers quite a nice line of vibrant body-colors, though, for 2015, to a lesser extent than Fiat or Lotus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-14 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 05:24 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Well, IMO, here are at least two American-market manufacturers who still do it right....one low-priced, one upmarket. Fiat, on the 500 Pop, offered 15 different exterior colors, not only covering dull blacks/grays but virtually every color of the rainbow except pink and purple. rl]
Including pink & purple....

Old 12-01-14, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Including pink & purple....
Yes, I saw that on some Google-Fiat images, but, according to Fiat's website, those two colors are not currently offered in the American market. (almost everything else is, though). They are, of course, in Europe. I was writing primarily from an American standpoint....because different colors and trim patterns are often offered outside the American market.

I myself don't believe in stereotypes, but, in general, here in America, pink would probably be a hard sell to a lot of straight males because of its general association with feminism and the gay movement. The most successful use of pink, here in America, so far, has been with the patented pink (actually a pinkish-beige) shade that is used on the special-order cars that Mary Kay Cosmetics gives to their salespersons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-14 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 10:48 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think pink would be a virtually impossible sale to straight males. That said I did see a guy buy one in a Fiat dealer near here but he said it was a gift for his teenage daughter.

Well that's what he claimed anyway...