Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Tacoma news

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15 | 09:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by evident
it's mainly the fact that the new engine gets the same fuel economy as full sized trucks and is still barely competing. not sure what the advantage of the taco is besides the fact that "its a reliable toyota". this goes for their entire V6 line. and why is the 4 cylinder even being offered? no point, fuel economy wise or power wise.
The Tacoma does not get barely the same fuel economy as the Toyota Tundra full size truck. It is nowhere even close. The Tacoma exists because it does very well for Toyota and buyers are not willing to go to the Tundra size. Toyota has two clearly defined roles for their trucks. And the Tacoma is a very personal use truck.
Old 10-01-15 | 09:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

saw a brand new one on the road today! you cant miss the big bolded TACOMA stamped on the tailgate
Old 10-01-15 | 09:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Tacoma does not get barely the same fuel economy as the Toyota Tundra full size truck. It is nowhere even close. The Tacoma exists because it does very well for Toyota and buyers are not willing to go to the Tundra size. Toyota has two clearly defined roles for their trucks. And the Tacoma is a very personal use truck.
Tacoma might be well ahead of the Tundra in terms of fuel economy, but in terms of rated economy does come fairly close to the other Full Size trucks.

Yes the Tacoma has a fairly unique and stronger identity with the Toyota truck lineup, but even the full size trucks are very much "personal use" trucks. That's why there is a huge number of premium crew cab trims all over the market, Platinum, Limited, Denali, High Country, 1794, King Ranch etc.
Old 10-01-15 | 12:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Tacoma might be well ahead of the Tundra in terms of fuel economy, but in terms of rated economy does come fairly close to the other Full Size trucks.

Yes the Tacoma has a fairly unique and stronger identity with the Toyota truck lineup, but even the full size trucks are very much "personal use" trucks. That's why there is a huge number of premium crew cab trims all over the market, Platinum, Limited, Denali, High Country, 1794, King Ranch etc.
I do agree with you that the Tacoma is close, but most people do not look at both the F150 and Tacoma as comparable vehicles. A $3k-$4k price difference is still huge in a segment like trucks, and not everyone can pony up and extra $3k for a larger truck. So I can see why the Tacoma is offered.

I wonder if the F150 and Tacoma were equipped the same, what the difference in price will be? My guess is that a Tacoma will be at least 5k cheaper for the same equipment.
Old 10-01-15 | 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if the F150 and Tacoma were equipped the same, what the difference in price will be? My guess is that a Tacoma will be at least 5k cheaper for the same equipment.
The Tacoma's future competition from Ford will not be the F-150, but, if they decide to bring it to the U.S., the next-generation Ranger. The success of the new Colorado/Canyon is providing even more incentive for a return of the Ranger.
Old 10-01-15 | 01:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Tacoma's future competition from Ford will not be the F-150, but, if they decide to bring it to the U.S., the next-generation Ranger. The success of the new Colorado/Canyon is providing even more incentive for a return of the Ranger.

Didn't Ford refuse to bring in a new Ranger because it would be too close in price and fuel consumption to an F-150? Isn't that the problem with these mid-size pickup trucks in North America?

But if GM and Toyota can prove that there is still a market for a mid-size truck, perhaps that will persuade Ford to bring in the international Ranger.
Old 10-01-15 | 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Didn't Ford refuse to bring in a new Ranger because it would be too close in price and fuel consumption to an F-150? Isn't that the problem with these mid-size pickup trucks in North America?

But if GM and Toyota can prove that there is still a market for a mid-size truck, perhaps that will persuade Ford to bring in the international Ranger.
Hoovey2411 recently posted an article on that very subject............bringing the Ranger back.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...uction-to-u-s-
Old 10-01-15 | 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu

The cost of building a new Ranger was a major factor, these mid size trucks cost a lot to make and the base costs are not much different than a F150. Tacoma got a light redesign compared to a complete over haul. Ford's theory is that if the customer was going to go for a Ranger, they will probably go for the f150 of there was no Ranger option.

I doubt there is much room for a Ranger.
Old 10-01-15 | 03:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Even given similar price points and fuel mileage, I would choose a Tacoma over a full sized truck. The Tacoma is the max size I would buy. I don't want to drive and park something larger, and don't want to take up that much more room in my garage.
Old 10-02-15 | 12:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
not things you do with Land Cruiser.
I don't have much care for the North America Land Cruiser like I once did. What it has evolved to become is just horrendous IMO.

For all the off-road pics and blah blah blah about the North American Land Cruiser, at $84,820 I expect more than 8.9 inches of ground clearance and I sure as hell would expect at least a rear locking differential.
Old 10-02-15 | 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt there is much room for a Ranger.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Even given similar price points and fuel mileage, I would choose a Tacoma over a full sized truck. The Tacoma is the max size I would buy. I don't want to drive and park something larger, and don't want to take up that much more room in my garage.
Yes there is room, Jill...........right there, with other folks like JDR76. There's your proof.
Old 10-02-15 | 12:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Even given similar price points and fuel mileage, I would choose a Tacoma over a full sized truck.
But they are not similar price points. From what I have seen, there is at least a $2k-$4k price difference between them. In this segment price is huge. The difference becomes much larger as you add options to the F150
Old 10-02-15 | 12:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I wasn't necessarily referring to the F-150, but rather any full size truck. I'm just not interested, whether they are the same price or not. But FWIW you can easily get an F-150 for the same price as a Tacoma. The F-150 will top out MUCH higher, but for $30-35k you can get a nicely equipped Tacoma or F-150.
Old 10-02-15 | 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I wasn't necessarily referring to the F-150, but rather any full size truck. I'm just not interested, whether they are the same price or not. But FWIW you can easily get an F-150 for the same price as a Tacoma. The F-150 will top out MUCH higher, but for $30-35k you can get a nicely equipped Tacoma or F-150.
Interesting as you say it.

I do not think you can get an equally close in MSRP. The F150 will still be higher but a lot.
Old 10-02-15 | 01:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

A well equipped F-150 will indeed have a higher MSRP, but I don't think anyone pays MSRP for an F-150. In fact, a local dealer to me has sale prices typically $10k below MSRP. Here's an example:

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...7600/overview/

MSRP: $47,095
Sale Price: $34,367

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Tacoma news