Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Tacoma news

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am generally pretty easy going on the Tacoma and I do rather like the vehicle from the past. In fact I have owned for a few years, it was a good truck but I would not called it great

I have changed tune on the 2016 Tacoma.

WHAT A STUNNING DISAPPOINTMENT!

The new 2016 is borderline fraud if Toyota is calling it a new truck.

Think Toyota Avalon refresh from 2011-2012.

I saw two of them at the dealer today while getting service. Didn't get to sit in it.

Nevermind it has the same frame and chassis from before, the most telling thing about the vehicle and how disappointing it was is that if you look at the photos online, the exterior B-pillar has been blacked out with TAPE.

Also, the seat cushion still lacks height adjustment.

I only have looked at the Toyota Canada spec version, Toyota has raised the price for the same trim level as before by $5000 in some instances. The new Limited is not $52,500 out the door!

Shame on you Toyota!
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Toyota Tacoma news-tmp_3545-img_20151015_145106-1503804635.jpg   2016 Toyota Tacoma news-tmp_3545-img_20151015_145000-991934111.jpg   2016 Toyota Tacoma news-tmp_3545-img_20151015_14503139799214.jpg   2016 Toyota Tacoma news-tmp_3545-img_20151015_1451131432681345.jpg  

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-15-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 01:09 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am generally pretty easy going on the Tacoma and I do rather like the vehicle from the past. In fact I have owned for a few years, it was a good truck but I would not called it great

I saw two of them at the dealer today while getting service. Didn't get to sit in it.

Nevermind it has the same frame and chassis from before, the most telling thing about the vehicle and how disappointing it was is that if you look at the photos online, the exterior B-pillar has been blacked out with TAPE.

I only have looked at the Toyota Canada spec version, Toyota has raised the price for the same trim level as before by $5000 in some instances. The new Limited is not $52,500 out the door!

Shame on you Toyota!
a 2016 refresh sounds about right
Old 10-15-15, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadu
a 2016 refresh sounds about right
Something tells me, we are going to see this Tacoma until 2025.
Old 10-15-15, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Shame on you Toyota!
I just finished reviewing a U.S.-spec model yesterday.......a 4X4 V6 Long-Bed Double-Cab, Automatic TRD Sport. I agree with you that the interior trim is too cheaply done, the seats are not particularly comfortable, the hood is too difficult to raise/lower, and, at 36K American dollars, one had to tug on levers and manually-adjust the seats. Otherwise, however, it is generally good competition for the GM Colorado/Canyon, and the engineers have given it a BIG improvement in ride comfort and noise control this year. For the most part, I have to disagree with your "Shame on Toyota" comment.

Toyota DID screw up the Avalon a few years ago......I'll agree with you on that. They at least tried to improve the too-stiff suspension this year on the non-Touring models.
Old 10-17-15, 02:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you that the interior trim is too cheaply done, the seats are not particularly comfortable, the hood is too difficult to raise/lower, and, at 36K American dollars, one had to tug on levers and manually-adjust the seats.
s.
What are you agreeing with? I never said the interior was cheaply done. I have not even sat in it yet. I just said the vehicle lacks a manually height adjustment for the seat cushion. I do think the Limited version deserves a power seat at least. From all the reviews I gave read, the interior appears to be very well done.

And as for pulling and tugging, the GM twins have the same stuff, you have to push a button on the gear selector, steering wheel has to be manually adjusted, and heaven forbid you have to push, turn, and tug out a key as the Canyon lacks push button start which the Tacoma has.

I have always thought the GM twins interiors are plasticy, cheap and bland.

The biggest El cheapo I have seen is the GM twins seats which are power on the cushion, but manual for the seat back. This El Cheapness is common on the Buick Regal if memory serves me correct.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-17-15 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 10:05 AM
soap94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for offtop. Is new fuel saving feature in new 2016 tacoma realy works or it is another marketing trick? http://italkaboutcars.com/toyota-tacoma-fuel-economy
Old 10-18-15, 11:51 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The so called fuel savings feature is the v6 engine used and the addition of an extra gear in the auto trans. The Atkinson cycle 3.5l v6 is much more efficient than the outgoing 4.0l v6.
Old 10-20-15, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I now had the chance to sit in the new Tacomas, I would not call it cheaply done as mmarshall says, I would say that its simply competitive within the tiny segment that it competes in. It's the same materials as the Tundra. It's not bad and its not great, its somewhere in between. Not even sure if I would call it good. It's definitely better than the GM trucks and what its got going for it is the design layout of the interior.

the hood is too difficult to raise/lower, and,.
Here is an area that I will agree with mmarshall for the first time about the hood. The hood needs struts as it is too difficult to open and it is VERY heavy.

Now, what is interesting is that I was not able to unlock the latch with one finger. I believe Toyota designed the little lever to require to hands as the latch just does not go far enough with one hand. If that hatch falls on your fingers, you will have a serious injury. It is really heavy.

I am going to make a prediction, at some point Toyota will recall the Tacoma because of the hood and injuries and we will see some alternative.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-20-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I now had the chance to sit in the new Tacomas, I would not call it cheaply done as mmarshall says,
Outside of the interior trim, which I did not think was of high quality, I didn't call it cheaply done at all. In fact, I said that, in most areas, it was competitive with the generally well-done Colorado/Canyon. You seem to have taken the attitude that because I said that I thought the interior trim cheap (and I stand by that assessment), I said the whole truck is cheaply done. Not so....though, as you note below, it agree it could use hood struts.

Here is an area that I will agree with mmarshall for the first time about the hood. The hood needs struts as it is too difficult to open and it is VERY heavy.

Now, what is interesting is that I was not able to unlock the latch with one finger. I believe Toyota designed the little lever to require to hands as the latch just does not go far enough with one hand. If that hatch falls on your fingers, you will have a serious injury. It is really heavy.
Hood-weight is not the only problem here, also but height....especially on the 4X4 versions. I don't know your height, but I'm a big guy (6' 2") and it was difficult for me to get the hood fully raised and manually-propped. The Colorado/Canyon 4X4s had essentially the same problem.

I am going to make a production, at some point Toyota will recall the Tacoma because of the hood and injuries and we will see some alternative.
Possibly. But, more likely, we'll see a quick redesign with either a lighter hood (maybe aluminum) or struts....maybe both. A vehicle doesn't necessarily need a major redesigning to change the materials used for the hood. Subaru did the same thing (but in reverse) a few years ago, to save money.......on a mid-generation Outback (2007-2008), they switched from a light aluminum hood to a much heavier steel one (without adding struts). Honda, in only one year, with the 2012-2013 Civic, also did some quick revisions to its interior to address severe criticism.

Also, Jill..........I have a question. You stated, just a few posts ago, that you were highly disappointed with the new Tacoma.

Outside of the poorly-designed hood, do you still feel the same way?

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-20-15 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 04:39 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The engineers couldn't design a power seat that met crash test standards in time for production, so they went with the manual seats in the mean time. No word on if they are still planning on power seats, but all manual indefinitely.
Old 10-20-15, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
The engineers couldn't design a power seat that met crash test standards in time for production, so they went with the manual seats in the mean time. No word on if they are still planning on power seats, but all manual indefinitely.
Ordinarily, in all but entry-level vehicles, power seats have become more or less an expected item (as i noted in my recent Tacoma review). But your explanation sounds pretty reasonable to me....I'll buy it. Besides, it's possible that we're just becoming spoiled by having too many automatic features in cars today. Even in retirement, I'm still strong enough, if I have to, to roll up my own window, lock my own doors, and adjust my own seat.
Old 10-20-15, 07:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Honestly unless its a luxury car I'm fine with manual seats provided they are comfortable and have a height and tilt adjustment. Lumbar adjustment is nice as well.

I also miss the grippy and plush cloth a lot of 80's/90's cars came with. IMO that velour material feels better than leather and wears like iron. It was great in sporty cars as well because you didn't slide around like some leather seats.
Old 10-20-15, 11:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Outside of the interior trim, which I did not think was of high quality, I didn't call it cheaply done at all. In fact, I said that, in most areas, it was competitive with the generally well-done Colorado/Canyon. You seem to have taken the attitude that because I said that I thought the interior trim cheap (and I stand by that assessment), I said the whole truck is cheaply done. Not so....though, as you note below, it agree it could use hood struts.

Hood-weight is not the only problem here, also but height....especially on the 4X4 versions. I don't know your height, but I'm a big guy (6' 2") and it was difficult for me to get the hood fully raised and manually-propped. The Colorado/Canyon 4X4s had essentially the same problem.

Possibly. But, more likely, we'll see a quick redesign with either a lighter hood (maybe aluminum) or struts....maybe both. A vehicle doesn't necessarily need a major redesigning to change the materials used for the hood. Subaru did the same thing (but in reverse) a few years ago, to save money.......on a mid-generation Outback (2007-2008), they switched from a light aluminum hood to a much heavier steel one (without adding struts). Honda, in only one year, with the 2012-2013 Civic, also did some quick revisions to its interior to address severe criticism.

Also, Jill..........I have a question. You stated, just a few posts ago, that you were highly disappointed with the new Tacoma.

Outside of the poorly-designed hood, do you still feel the same way?
Yes, I still beleive the new Tacoma is a stunning disappointment.
Old 11-27-15, 10:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone seen a 16 Tacoma in wild yet?

I saw a metallic color access cab and honestly I am starting to think the styling is brutal when it blends in with other cars. I think it is the blending in with other cars is what has done it for me.
Old 11-28-15, 03:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Anyone seen a 16 Tacoma in wild yet?

I saw a metallic color access cab and honestly I am starting to think the styling is brutal when it blends in with other cars. I think it is the blending in with other cars is what has done it for me.
wait, so you like it now?

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Tacoma news