Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Tacoma news

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 07:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Anyone seen a 16 Tacoma in wild yet?

I saw a metallic color access cab and honestly I am starting to think the styling is brutal when it blends in with other cars. I think it is the blending in with other cars is what has done it for me.
I've seen a half dozen or so out on the road. Saw an orange one downtown yesterday and really liked it.
Old 11-30-15, 07:12 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The all-new Tacoma gets a new power train, suspension, and redesigned exterior and interior styling. But if feels, sounds, and drives an awful lot like an unrefined old truck.

The sprawling western state of Utah boasts not one but five unforgettable national parks--and on this far-ranging episode host Arthur St. Antoine visits them all in the latest edition of one of the most popular pickup trucks on the planet. Mars-like terrain, outrageous mountain-biking, 420-hp jet boats, skies filled with epic stars--Arthur explores all this and more in a ten-day tour of a landscape unlike anything else on earth!

Thanks to an almost competitive-free environment, the Toyota Tacoma has dominated the midsize truck segment for nearly a decade. But the Tacoma now faces some stiff competition in the form of two new trucks from GM. So, does the third-generation Tacoma have what it takes to fend off segment newcomers?
Old 11-30-15, 08:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Motor, thanks for posting that Tacoma review where he takes the truck out to Utah. Truly some great camera work and amazing scenery.
Old 12-01-15, 07:18 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Motor, thanks for posting that Tacoma review where he takes the truck out to Utah.
Old 12-01-15, 10:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
Toyota Tacoma has dominated the midsize truck segment for nearly a decade. But the Tacoma now faces some stiff competition in the form of two new trucks from GM.
Don't forget, a new Ford Ranger is also coming soon. Even if it does not make it to the U.S. market (inside sources seem to think it will)...it will still compete with both the Tacoma and the GM trucks in other markets.
Old 12-02-15, 10:00 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget, a new Ford Ranger is also coming soon. Even if it does not make it to the U.S. market (inside sources seem to think it will)...it will still compete with both the Tacoma and the GM trucks in other markets.
Won't compete with the Tacoma in other markets, would compete with the Hilux.
Old 12-02-15, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
OK....that's true. The Tacoma is sold only in the U.S./Canada and some Latin-American countries.
Old 12-02-15, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

A new Ranger is not coming soon, I am not sure why you think there is such a large market for smaller trucks. The price point of the current Tacoma and GM trucks is at the sweet point where it becomes very difficult to manufacture a truck and keep very high profit margins with the sales it is getting. Ford is in a better position to offer a F150 and bake the costs of the lower end F150 across the whole range thus keeping high profit margins.
Old 12-02-15, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A new Ranger is not coming soon,
It won't be "soon" in the sense of next week or month. But, given the Ford negotiations with the UAW and the work of the product-planners, it will be in the not-too-distant future, maybe 2017 for the 2018 model year.

Also of interest, I think, will be the new 2-door Bronco that will (reportedly) be coming from the same plant. An ex-co-worker of mine has been waiting 20 years for a new Bronco, even if this one will be a little smaller. The last Bronco came off the lines in 1996.

I am not sure why you think there is such a large market for smaller trucks.
It's probably not as big as that for the F-150 or Silverado, but there are a number of folks who need something to carry loads in, but don't want something as big, bulky, or hard to maneuver as a full-size truck. I don't know if you have sampled a traditional full-sized American pickup or not, but they can be quite unwieldy to maneuver ad park at close quarters. That's one reason why they are so popular on large-sized features as construction projects, ranches, and farms.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-15 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 11:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Full size trucks, especially 1/2 tons, have gotten a lot bigger over the years. Go park a 2016 Silverado next to a 1996 or 1986 truck and the size difference is huge. The one thing I liked about the old trucks, at least the old 2wd trucks, is the bed was low enough for you to reach over the side and put something in it. Not the case anymore.
Old 12-05-15, 01:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Full size trucks, especially 1/2 tons, have gotten a lot bigger over the years. Go park a 2016 Silverado next to a 1996 or 1986 truck and the size difference is huge. The one thing I liked about the old trucks, at least the old 2wd trucks, is the bed was low enough for you to reach over the side and put something in it. Not the case anymore.
All trucks have gotten much bigger over the year. A Tacoma, Canyon long bed double cabs take up as much a foot print as a full size.
Old 12-05-15, 02:25 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I am generally pretty easy going on the Tacoma and I do rather like the vehicle from the past. In fact I have owned for a few years, it was a good truck but I would not called it great

I have changed tune on the 2016 Tacoma.

WHAT A STUNNING DISAPPOINTMENT!

The new 2016 is borderline fraud if Toyota is calling it a new truck.

Think Toyota Avalon refresh from 2011-2012.

I saw two of them at the dealer today while getting service. Didn't get to sit in it.

Nevermind it has the same frame and chassis from before, the most telling thing about the vehicle and how disappointing it was is that if you look at the photos online, the exterior B-pillar has been blacked out with TAPE.

Also, the seat cushion still lacks height adjustment.

I only have looked at the Toyota Canada spec version, Toyota has raised the price for the same trim level as before by $5000 in some instances. The new Limited is not $52,500 out the door!

Shame on you Toyota!
Excellent observations CTJill, as it is similar to how I feel about it. They had an ample 11 years total to wait and study the market, then react midway through that. Instead spent a measly 4 years to develop this.

Originally Posted by jadu
a 2016 refresh sounds about right
Well, not exactly a refresh. The changes they did to it for MY2009, counts as a refresh. Not even the front end changes for MY2012 I would call a refresh, but moreover a moderate facelift. This is heavy facelift, if not an evolutionary redesign with recycling components.

Something tells me, we are going to see this Tacoma until 2025.
Now, this is where I have some news. The new Tacoma will end production in July 2022, so this where life-cycles get muddled and whether or not this was meant to truly be a Full Model Change or heavy facelift like the MY2016 Lexus LX or MY2013 LS.

Well, I now had the chance to sit in the new Tacomas, I would not call it cheaply done as mmarshall says, I would say that its simply competitive within the tiny segment that it competes in. It's the same materials as the Tundra. It's not bad and its not great, its somewhere in between. Not even sure if I would call it good. It's definitely better than the GM trucks and what its got going for it is the design layout of the interior.

Here is an area that I will agree with mmarshall for the first time about the hood. The hood needs struts as it is too difficult to open and it is VERY heavy.

Now, what is interesting is that I was not able to unlock the latch with one finger. I believe Toyota designed the little lever to require to hands as the latch just does not go far enough with one hand. If that hatch falls on your fingers, you will have a serious injury. It is really heavy.

I am going to make a prediction, at some point Toyota will recall the Tacoma because of the hood and injuries and we will see some alternative.
I agree, it is not cheaply done. It is more solid and composed than the outgoing Tacoma, but I will say the Canyon does have an edge in interior quality. I spent some time in the Colorado at NYIAS and in L.A., feeling it is not really better than the Tacoma.

Originally Posted by RX_330
The engineers couldn't design a power seat that met crash test standards in time for production, so they went with the manual seats in the mean time. No word on if they are still planning on power seats, but all manual indefinitely.
Interesting information, thanks for sharing. I figure a minor model update is due for MY2018, ahead of a facelift is planned in late 2019 for MY2020.

Anyone seen a 16 Tacoma in wild yet?

I saw a metallic color access cab and honestly I am starting to think the styling is brutal when it blends in with other cars. I think it is the blending in with other cars is what has done it for me.
I have on my recent U.S. trip and it does look better in person. I really hate the grille design though.

It won't compete with the Tacoma in anywhere else outside of North America, but you are mostly right.

Originally Posted by pbm317
He technically isn't wrong, as the Tacoma competes with the Ranger in Mexico. I mostly agree, as the despite some grey-market Tacoma exports, the Hilux is sold locally everywhere outside of the US. Mexico is the only market that sells both the Tacoma and Hilux.

It won't be "soon" in the sense of next week or month. But, given the Ford negotiations with the UAW and the work of the product-planners, it will be in the not-too-distant future, maybe 2017 for the 2018 model year.

Also of interest, I think, will be the new 2-door Bronco that will (reportedly) be coming from the same plant. An ex-co-worker of mine has been waiting 20 years for a new Bronco, even if this one will be a little smaller. The last Bronco came off the lines in 1996.

It's probably not as big as that for the F-150 or Silverado, but there are a number of folks who need something to carry loads in, but don't want something as big, bulky, or hard to maneuver as a full-size truck. I don't know if you have sampled a traditional full-sized American pickup or not, but they can be quite unwieldy to maneuver ad park at close quarters. That's one reason why they are so popular on large-sized features as construction projects, ranches, and farms.
It is for the 2019 model year, not 2017 nor 2018. The next generation Ranger design has been approved, which will be the one that makes it to the US. They require 30 months from approval for that one (same happened with current Ranger from 2008 to 2011), so one should start seeing mules soon. The current one, which just received a facelift, will not make it there ever. On occasion I have seen a few pre-facelift examples in El Paso, TX, mostly from Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua.

The new Bronco will be nothing like that of the one that ran from 1977-1979 and 1979-1996. Ford cancelled plans to redesign the Bronco after final approval of the UN-193 Expedition in 1993 and refuse to base one on the F-Series again.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 12-05-15 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 03:24 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

In a nutshell, for 2016 Toyota swapped in a set of tried-and-true transmissions, fitted a Lexus V6 under the hood, tweaked the frame and formed it out of stronger steel and covered it in new sheetmetal. On the inside we get a new dashboard, infotainment systems from the Highlander and a steering wheel from the larger Tundra. If you're a Taco man, that's all you need to know before you run out and buy one. For the rest of us, join me as we dive deep into the latest "Taco."
Old 12-05-15, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmk1
Excellent observations CTJill, as it is similar to how I feel about it. They had an ample 11 years total to wait and study the market, then react midway through that. Instead spent a measly 4 years to develop this.

Well, not exactly a refresh. The changes they did to it for MY2009, counts as a refresh. Not even the front end changes for MY2012 I would call a refresh, but moreover a moderate facelift. This is heavy facelift, if not an evolutionary redesign with recycling components.

Now, this is where I have some news. The new Tacoma will end production in July 2022, so this where life-cycles get muddled and whether or not this was meant to truly be a Full Model Change or heavy facelift like the MY2016 Lexus LX or MY2013 LS.

I agree, it is not cheaply done. It is more solid and composed than the outgoing Tacoma, but I will say the Canyon does have an edge in interior quality. I spent some time in the Colorado at NYIAS and in L.A., feeling it is not really better than the Tacoma.

Interesting information, thanks for sharing. I figure a minor model update is due for MY2018, ahead of a facelift is planned in late 2019 for MY2020.

I have on my recent U.S. trip and it does look better in person. I really hate the grille design though.

It won't compete with the Tacoma in anywhere else outside of North America, but you are mostly right.

He technically isn't wrong, as the Tacoma competes with the Ranger in Mexico. I mostly agree, as the despite some grey-market Tacoma exports, the Hilux is sold locally everywhere outside of the US. Mexico is the only market that sells both the Tacoma and Hilux.

It is for the 2019 model year, not 2017 nor 2018. The next generation Ranger design has been approved, which will be the one that makes it to the US. They require 30 months from approval for that one (same happened with current Ranger from 2008 to 2011), so one should start seeing mules soon. The current one, which just received a facelift, will not make it here ever. On occasion I have seen a few pre-facelift examples in El Paso, TX, mostly from Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua.

The new Bronco will be nothing like that of the one that ran from 1977-1979 and 1979-1996. Ford cancelled plans to redesign the Bronco after final approval of the UN-193 Expedition in 1993.
Good write up and comments. I did read that Toyota is expanding production. So the sales look like they are off to a solid start.
Old 12-05-15, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmk1

I agree, it is not cheaply done. It is more solid and composed than the outgoing Tacoma, but I will say the Canyon does have an edge in interior quality.
That was the most noticeable comparison between the two when I said, in my review, that I thought the GM trucks used better materials. However, Toyota does a bulletproof drivetrain and underpinnings.....Tacomas often go 300K miles or more without major repairs.

The new Bronco will be nothing like that of the one that ran from 1977-1979 and 1979-1996. Ford cancelled plans to redesign the Bronco after final approval of the UN-193 Expedition in 1993 and refuse to base one on the F-Series again.
Yes, the new Bronco should be considerably smaller. The old one was done off the F-150 chassis, while the new one, if advance reports are correct, will share a platform with the upcoming Ranger.

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Tacoma news