Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Russians Snap Up Lexuses As Falling Ruble Erodes Savings

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 07:07 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Russians Snap Up Lexuses As Falling Ruble Erodes Savings

That's what this Bloomberg headline ought to read. The body of the article reports that Lexus sales in Russia are up 63% for November, beating other luxury car brands. Yet Bloomberg hypes up the Porsche sales instead, which only increased 55%. What gives?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...s-savings.html
Old 12-14-14, 12:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

The NX factor.

Due to cheap gas, Russians like Lexus and their petrol engines... thats why it sells well there. It is by far the best Lexus market in Europe, and they sell ES there as well as GX, not available elsewhere in Europe.

2.0t is going to expand the sales as well.
Old 12-14-14, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

After the vehicles that Russians (and citizens of other ex-Communist countries behind the old Iron Curtain) had to put up with and drive for decades, it is not surprising that, especially now with cheaper fuel, those that can afford them are snapping up nice upmarket luxury vehicles from the West and Japan.
Old 12-15-14, 05:15 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments explaining why Lexus sells well in Russia. The issue I have with this Bloomberg article is that the headline is very misleading. It talks about Porsche being snapped up by Russians when the body of the article shows that Lexus is being snapped up in even larger numbers. That should have been the headline. Why Bloomberg decided to hype Porsche instead of Lexus boggles the mind.
Old 12-15-14, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Thanks for your comments explaining why Lexus sells well in Russia. The issue I have with this Bloomberg article is that the headline is very misleading. It talks about Porsche being snapped up by Russians when the body of the article shows that Lexus is being snapped up in even larger numbers. That should have been the headline. Why Bloomberg decided to hype Porsche instead of Lexus boggles the mind.
Porsches, in general, are not produced in the same numbers as Lexuses. Nor do they, in general, have as wide a dealer network.
Old 12-15-14, 07:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gyrase321
who cares :-)

Lexus might reach Audi in Russia next year, which would be first market worldwide (other than US and Japan) for that to happen... not sure if they will have to increase the network first.... but with NX, RC and RX, all with new 2.0t, I predict lots of new sales.
Old 12-15-14, 07:48 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dollar went up almost 100%, which means if you have $ you can buy a car for $, then say next year the Dollar will go down, and you can sell the car in Rubles for twice as much.

back around 6mos ago $1= 30 rubles, now 1$=63 rubles

Last edited by FastTags; 12-15-14 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 08:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

If you told me 30 years ago that Toyota would have a luxury brand called Lexus one day, I might believe you, but if you told me that the Soviet Union was no longer in existence, I might give you a second look.

Amazing world.
Old 12-15-14, 12:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FastTags
The dollar went up almost 100%, which means if you have $ you can buy a car for $, then say next year the Dollar will go down, and you can sell the car in Rubles for twice as much.

back around 6mos ago $1= 30 rubles, now 1$=63 rubles
its is kind of dumb that article talks about "saving in rubles" when russians dont save in rubbles... they save in USD, at least all of ones that I know.
Old 12-15-14, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexmex
If you told me 30 years ago that Toyota would have a luxury brand called Lexus one day,I might believe you,
In 1984?.........I'm not sure would have. Back in the 1980s, Toyota was arguably the most successful auto company in the world just as they were....to the point where we imposed import-quotas here in the U.S. to control their explosive growth. (all that did, in effect, was to drive prices up). Toyota didn't NEED Lexus back then.

but if you told me that the Soviet Union was no longer in existence, I might give you a second look.
Well, thanks first to God, and then to Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II, the Communist Old Guard behind the Iron Curtain finally fell. Reagan was not the type to screw around. When he told Gorbechev to tear down that wall, he meant it....and he didn't mean "maybe". He was arguably the best American President of my lifetime.

That's all I can probably say on it here, though, because anything more on that subject will probably need to be in the Debate Forum.