Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spyker officially declares bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 10:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Spyker officially declares bankruptcy

Press Release:

SPYKER COMPANIES DECLARED BANKRUPT

Zeewolde, the Netherlands, 18 December 2014. Today the District Court of Midden-Nederland, at the request of the administrator, converted the moratorium of payment, granted to Spyker N.V. and its wholly owned subsidiaries Spyker Automobielen B.V. and Spyker Events & Branding B.V. (collectively "Spyker" or the "Company") on December 2nd, last, to bankruptcy. The cause for this conversion was that the committed bridge funding did unfortunately not reach the company in time. The administrator will continue his work but now as receiver.

Victor R. Muller, Founder and Chief Executive Officer said: "None of the ambitions we had when we founded Spyker 15 years ago, has vanished as a result of today's events. In 2000 we set out to establish a super sports car business from scratch with a global distribution and we achieved that. Over the years we undertook some daring ventures that left their marks on the company which in turn contributed to today's demise.

However, I would like to make clear that as far as I am concerned "this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning" to quote Winston Churchill. I will relentlessly endeavour to resurrect Spyker as soon as practically possible and, assuming we will be successful, pursue our goal to merge with a high performance electric aircraft manufacturer and develop revolutionary electric Spykers with disruptive sustainable technology.

This is the moment to express my gratitude to our customers, dealers, suppliers and of course our employees and Board. Their loyalty and support was vital to build the brand over the past decade and a half. They can count on us continuing to live by the Spyker axiom "Nulla Tenaci Invia est Via" (Latin for "For the tenacious no road is impassible")."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/18/s...icial/#image-1
Old 12-26-14, 04:29 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Very unique vehicles, and some excellent craftsmanship. Too bad they couldn't make it work
Old 12-26-14, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Didn't they own Saab until just recently? GM, for several reasons, even with its huge resources, never made any money with Saab....it's not surprising that Spyker couldn't, either.
Old 12-28-14, 04:33 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

A neighbor of mine owns one. I think he told me there were only six of them in the US. It is quite an unusual car. Once in a while he brings it to a local car show or a C&C and it always attracts the most attention.

I wonder if it will be like an artist dying and the value of his work accelerating.

Although it wasn't clear if the company may still emerge from bankruptcy.
Old 12-28-14, 05:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

SURPRISE SURPRISE !! The writing has been on the wall for a while. When do you see them. When do you even read about them. They are unicorns with nice interiors. Sad but it is what it is. Im sure some Chinese company will pick them up
Old 12-28-14, 08:29 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess their SUV will never see the light of day. I think there is one Spyker in Canada and it is out in Alberta (someone won it in a lottery or something) or was it a Koenigsegg?!