Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Lexus Lease Transfer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 05:06 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it is. It cannot be done at the dealer
Old 02-08-15, 06:38 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to the OP my transfer went smooth only took 2 weeks!
Old 02-14-15, 08:54 AM
sleepyking
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone who shared your experiences. Can someone tell me if the release of liability form was submitted to DMV directly? LFS put a sticky on mine asking to sign and "mail back in". Sounds like they asked to send back to them but just want to make sure.

Also what documents do you get next after fee, proof of insurance, Etc have been submitted? Thanks
Old 09-01-17, 10:12 AM
Sufy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Just about a year ago, I leased a 2013 CT200h F-Sport. I had never leased before, but wasn't sure how I felt about a Hybrid, so decided leasing was the best option. I got a killer deal, so couldn't pass it up. Less than a year later, I wanted something different, so decided to post a craigslist ad for a lease transfer. I was just testing the waters, but got numerous serious inquiries.

I found someone who agreed to take the car, so I called Lexus and requested the transfer paperwork (you can do this before you find a buyer and request multiple copies if you have multiple parties interested). It took me about a week to receive the paperwork, as Lexus does everything for the transfer process through snail-mail. I then had to meet up with the prospective buyer, so he could fill out a credit application. There were also a few forms for me to sign so that Lexus could release information to the potential buyer. This was sent back to Lexus via snail-mail, so took Lexus over a week to receive the application. Once the application was received, Lexus requested proof of residency from the potential buyer, which they should have asked for in the initial packet of information. They did this by snail-mail, not by phone or email. Once they received this, they told me it would be another 7-10 days for the application to be approved or denied. Once approved or denied, a letter would be sent to both parties explaining the decision (again no phone call or email).

About a month after starting the process, Lexus had approved the buyer. They now sent a new packet of paperwork to be filled out via snail-mail. This included DMV information and verification of the new lessees information, as well as a request for the $200 transfer fee. The new lessee signed everything and sent in a money order for the $200 transfer fee. Turns out the new lessee didn't sign the money order, so Lexus could process it. There was no phone call or email telling us this, they just returned, via snail-mail, the money order to the new lessee. At this point, it had been nearly two months since we started this whole process and both of us were frustrated. The new lessee overnighted the signed money order back to Lexus to expedite the processing. Lexus received the money order and then finalized the transfer. They sent the final notice via snail-mail. Once this notice is received, you can release the car to the new lessee.

Overall, this process was simple but frustrating and time consuming. It took just about 60 days from start to finish. If I was doing it over again, I would pay to overnight every document and also provide Lexus with a prepaid overnight envelope to expedite things on their end. Also, find someone local to buy the car, as you will have to meet up numerous times over the course of the transfer process. A key to remember is that transferring the lease relieves the original lessee of any obligation to the car. Once the transfer is processed, Lexus will report the account of the original lessee as paid off to the credit bureaus.

Hello, can you tell me what final letter you got to determine to transfer the car over. I am the new transferee and submitted the signed paperwork and the $200 lease trasnfer fee and I got a letter in the mail with all the documents for my records. The account is under my name but they said title is still pending. Do you get another document saying you can get the car? or this is it?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-17, 02:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

BMW has the best lease transfer process - if both parties provide all info, you can do it in less than 2 weeks.
This is from personal experience. Documents are all emailed or sent by Fedex/UPS.

Stay away from the N63 in the 550i.
I think the M5 V8 is more reliable if you want to go with BMW.
Old 11-12-19, 11:27 AM
anagentile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was doing it over again, I would pay to overnight every document and also provide Lexus with a prepaid overnight envelope to expedite things on their end. .
I read your post so I sent them pre-paid expedited mail envelopes. They did not use them .
I have done 2 lexus transfers, on the first one I did not get a proof of residence request so the second time I thought it was not needed. They did ask for it (basically non-sense, I have not moved) and added another 10 days to the process.
If I have to do it again I would add the proof of residence in the original package.

Last edited by anagentile; 11-12-19 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typos