Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 10:14 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like hearing this "Cadillac was the standard of the world" lingo, it never was. That was always Mercedes Benz.

I agree that Cadillac has been trying to out-German the Germans and that hasn't worked because people don't want to buy a knockoff German can when they can buy a real one. Cadillac hasn't shown that they can compete with the Germans on a consistent basis either, just look at how many years they've lagged behind in the compact and midsize SUV segments. They are already years behind when it comes to the A3/CLA/2-series segment.

Anyhow it will be interesting to see how things unfold with the CT6, but again I don't feel it has many advantages over the E-class, 5-series, etc. which are priced the same as the CT6. Sure, the CT6 is a tweener that is trying to offer the amenities of a full-size sedan at the price of a mid-size sedan, but what exactly does it have (besides more legroom) that warrants it a look over that beautiful new E-class? It can still sell well I suppose, but to a different demographic than somebody who only cross shops German cars.
Old 01-29-16, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I don't like hearing this "Cadillac wasthe standard of the world" lingo, it never was. That was always Mercedes Benz.
Key word. Since the beginning, Cadillac was a pioneer in the automotive industry.

By the time General Motors purchased the company in 1909 Cadillac had already established itself as one of America's premier luxury carmakers. The complete interchangeability of its precision parts had allowed it to lay the foundation for the modern mass production of automobiles. It was at the forefront of technological advances, introducing including full electrical systems, the clashless manual transmission and the steel roof. The brand developed three engines, with its V8 setting the standard for the American automotive industry.

Cadillac was the first American car to win the Royal Automobile Club of England's Dewar Trophy by successfully demonstrating the interchangeability of its component parts during a reliability test in 1908; this spawned the firm's slogan "Standard of the World". It won the trophy again in 1912 for incorporating electric starting and lighting in a production automobile.

Cadillac pioneered the dual-plane V8 crankshaft in 1918. In 1928 Cadillac introduced the first clashless Synchro-Mesh manual transmission, utilizing constant mesh gears. In 1930 Cadillac implemented the first V-16 engine, with a 45-degree overhead valve, 452 cubic inches (7.41 litres), and 165 horsepower (123 kW), one of the most powerful and quietest engines in the United States. The development and introduction of the V8, V16 and V-12 helped to make Cadillac the "Standard of the World". A later model of the V8 engine, known as the overhead valve, set the standard for the entire American automotive industry in 1949.
Wiki

Lots of game changers
Old 01-29-16, 10:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Cadillac needs to come back with something that will appeal to the former DTS crowd....call them a bunch of old fogies if you want, but they had lots of money, and were Cadillac's bread and butter.
had is the operative word. the only cadillac 'appealing' to them now is one like this.

Old 01-29-16, 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I don't like hearing this "Cadillac was the standard of the world" lingo, it never was. That was always Mercedes Benz.
must be why gm and in many cases specifically cadillac, has introduced innovations to the world.

to name a couple...

it created the best auto trans in the world, used by many others over time, including bmw.

it created the world's best suspension (magneride) used by many others over time, including ferrari.

not taking anything away from mb, which has an amazing number of automotive firsts.
Old 01-29-16, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
had is the operative word. the only Cadillac 'appealing' to them now is one like this.
Though most of them are admittedly not spring chickens any more, the idea that the former DTS, Town Car, and Buick Lucerne owners are all dying off is an inaccurate stereotype. Many of them have got a lot more years left than they realize.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-16 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 10:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Cadillac was the first to introduce night vision, back in 2000 on the Deville DTS. They popularized the whole luxury SUV craze back in the early 00's(credit to Lincoln, Lexus, and Range Rover for doing it 1st though) as well.

As far as what Cadillac needs to do differently to distinguish itself, IMO the answer lies under the hood of the Corvette. Just make that awesome 450hp LT1 V8(or a lower powered derivative) optional across the whole car line, both in luxury and sporty V trims. Market the hell out of how your V8 makes more power and still gets great fuel economy. I would line up all day long for a 400hp V8 ATS for about $50,000.

Just because I want a V8 in my Cadillac doesn't mean I want an Escalade or a $90,000 CTS-V with a harsh ride that scares the beejeesus out of me and turns on the traction control light every time I floor it(I still want a CTS-V, but it isnt' a car for everybody)

Cadillac needs to offer you more than what the competition is giving you for the same price. The only real thing that Cadillac has that's better is the handling, and most people aren't going to even notice that on a typical suburban test drive or on their daily commute unless they live in some place like Asheville NC

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-29-16 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just because I want a V8 in my Cadillac doesn't mean I want an Escalade or a $90,000 CTS-V with a harsh ride that scares the beejeesus out of me and turns on the traction control light every time I floor it.

Cadillac needs to offer you more than what the competition is giving you for the same price. The only real thing that Cadillac has that's better is the handling, and most people aren't going to even notice that on a typical suburban test drive or on their daily commute unless they live in some place like Asheville NC
Great points. Exactly what I've been saying for years.
Old 01-29-16, 11:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

it created the world's best suspension (magneride) used by many others over time, including ferrari.
Cadillac will never get credited for this because it was rightfully credited to the supplier, then GM-owned Delphi.Cadillac engineers didn't have anything to do with it besides placing it on the STS first. Delphi has now been absorbed by Beijing West Industries, which is why Cadillac receives no income from other makes using the tech.
Old 01-29-16, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Cadillac will never get credited for this because it was rightfully credited to the supplier, then GM-owned Delphi.Cadillac engineers didn't have anything to do with it besides placing it on the STS first. Delphi has now been absorbed by Beijing West Industries, which is why Cadillac receives no income from other makes using the tech.
GM tends to do that with their technological advances....the technology is shared among the divisions, rather than credited to just one division or nameplate, though sometimes Cadillac gets it first, being the most upscale division, then it trickles down. We also saw that, of course, with OnStar.
Old 01-29-16, 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Cadillac needs to offer you more than what the competition is giving you for the same price. The only real thing that Cadillac has that's better is the handling, and most people aren't going to even notice that on a typical suburban test drive or on their daily commute unless they live in some place like Asheville NC
That is not true at all. Cadillac does not have to offer more. What they simply need to do is offer something that lives up to the expectations of what this new CT6 is all about.

The Escalade offers this already, its the best full size luxo truck in the class, it lives up to the prestige of what high end buyers want.

This new CT6 is going to be awesome, and I have a suspicion that it is going to win a big comparo with the likes of Audi/BMW/MB and Genesis.
Old 01-29-16, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

This new CT6 is going to be awesome, and I have a suspicion that it is going to win a big comparo with the likes of Audi/BMW/MB and Genesis.
I agree with you that the CT6 is a nice job, but it is going to have its work cut out for it against the new Genesis. if you have not had a chance to test-drive a Genesis 5.0L, I strongly recommend it. (and, unlike us in the U.S., your dealers in Canada can also get the 5.0L AWD version). That car should finally put to rest, once and for all (even with unbelievers) , any lingering memories of the junk-Hyundais of the 80s ad 90s.

I also got a look at the new Continental's actual production interior (not the Concept) at the D.C. Auto Show, though not as good as i had hoped (it is up on a turntable) (and I'll be going back again this weekend)...and I can say with some certainty that IMO I thought Lincoln did an even better job inside than the CT6.

But, Hey, I'm still keeping an open mind on it. If either the CT6 or Continental beat any of those other cars you mention in a comparo, more power to them.

I myself plan test-drives/reviews of both the Continental and CT6 when available in my area.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 02:44 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The Escalade offers this already, its the best full size luxo truck in the class, it lives up to the prestige of what high end buyers want.

they're doing a good job advertising the truck. The matte black escalade in Chicago PD looks pretty badass
Old 01-29-16, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. The conventional thinking among automakers (and in the auto-press) seems to be that traditional American luxury and bling just doesn't sell any more, that today's younger buyers don't want it, and that it is outdated and part of the past. The Escalade, IMO, debunks that idea (and we will soon see if the new Continental also does....it's a good example of American bling updated to 2016 standards).
Old 01-29-16, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with you that the CT6 is a nice job, but it is going to have its work cut out for it against the new Genesis. if you have not had a chance to test-drive a Genesis 5.0L, I strongly recommend it. (and, unlike us in the U.S., your dealers in Canada can also get the 5.0L AWD version). That car should finally put to rest, once and for all (even with unbelieved) , any lingering memories of the junk-Hyundais of the 80s ad 90s.

I also got a look at the new Continental's actual production interior (not the Concept) at the D.C. Auto Show, though not as good as i had hoped (it is up on a turntable) (and I'll be going back again this weekend)...and I can say with some certainty that IMO I thought Lincoln did an even better job inside than the CT6.

But, Hey, I'm still keeping an open mind on it. If either the CT6 or Continental beat any of those other cars you mention in a comparo, more power to them.

I myself plan test-drives/reviews of both the Continental and CT6 when available in my area.
The new CT6 is not going to have its work cut out for it. Just look at the engineering feats such as the lightweight and very good performance for a small turbo 4. Keep in mind that the new small turbo 4 makes almost as much power and torque as the detuned SLS back in the mid 90s which had the 4.6 Northstar. And 404hp is very good, so I am not sure what you are so worried for?

As for ride, its good excellent praise already and the car is quiet. This CT6 will be fine.
Old 01-29-16, 04:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. The conventional thinking among automakers (and in the auto-press) seems to be that traditional American luxury and bling just doesn't sell any more, that today's younger buyers don't want it, and that it is outdated and part of the past. The Escalade, IMO, debunks that idea (and we will soon see if the new Continental also does....it's a good example of American bling updated to 2016 standards).
American luxury and bling are irrelevant. People want prestige, the Escalade is a brand name in itself, it means something, high end people like it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)