Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Being a good car and actually selling are different things. I think the ATS and CTS are very good cars also, but they aren't successful. Pricing and packaging are very important, and Cadillac is having a hard time in that department. I have no doubt this is going to be a very good car, but will it sell?

Any competitor to this class has its work cut out for it, everything in the segment is excellent, Cadillac has a tough row to hoe with this pricing structure, overlap with the CTS, confusion about where this car fits into the lineup relative to the CTS and other flagship cars like the LS, 7 and S Class...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
American luxury and bling are irrelevant. People want prestige, the Escalade is a brand name in itself, it means something, high end people like it.
Correct. What sells the Escalade is this prestige, but Cadillac itself doesn't have that prestige in different segments. "Cadillac" as a brand doesn't have the prestige to get a buyer out of an $80k+ BMW, Lexus, MB, Audi, etc. Not yet.
Old 01-29-16, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

American luxury and bling are irrelevant. People want prestige, the Escalade is a brand name in itself, it means something, high end people like it.
To some extent, though, you're putting the cart before the horse. What does the Escalade name actually mean? Big, heavy, powerful, chrome-laden, full of American bling, and able to carry many persons and tow large heavy trailers. That's what sells the vehicle, and has for years. Of course, the added glamor that Hollywood and the entertainment industry have given it in the image department hasn't hurt either....notwithstansing the fact that it is also one of the classic image-symbols of high gas consumption and oil-use, which makes it anathema to many environmentalists.
Old 01-29-16, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Correct. What sells the Escalade is this prestige, but Cadillac itself doesn't have that prestige in different segments. "Cadillac" as a brand doesn't have the prestige to get a buyer out of an $80k+ BMW, Lexus, MB, Audi, etc. Not yet.
Again, though, what does the Escalade name really signify...and what gives the name that prestige? American bling. If Elvis Presley and Hank Williams, two well-known Cadillac fans, were still alive today, my strong guess is that is probably what they would be driving. At one time (though the recent scandals have admittedly hurt him), Cadillac was also Bill Cosby's favorite ride.
Old 01-29-16, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Again, though, what does the Escalade name really signify...and what gives the name that prestige? American bling. If Elvis Presley and Hank Williams, two well-known Cadillac fans, were still alive today, my strong guess is that is probably what they would be driving. At one time (though the recent scandals have admittedly hurt him), Cadillac was also Bill Cosby's favorite ride.
A lot of times what gives a brand that prestige is hard to quantify. When the Escalade came out it was embraced by a lot of celebrities, hip hop stars, and the vehicle kind of got a reputation for being the symbol of excess, and I think thats where it came from. It arrived at a time when the economy was booming and excess was really in.

"Escalade" has more prestige than "Cadillac" really. Thats why the Escalade is the only Cadillac not getting their goofy new naming structure.
Old 01-29-16, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of times what gives a brand that prestige is hard to quantify. When the Escalade came out it was embraced by a lot of celebrities, hip hop stars, and the vehicle kind of got a reputation for being the symbol of excess, and I think thats where it came from. It arrived at a time when the economy was booming and excess was really in.

"Escalade" has more prestige than "Cadillac" really. Thats why the Escalade is the only Cadillac not getting their goofy new naming structure.
Interesting thought. The Escalade does, in fact, deviate from Cadillac's alphabet-soup naming structure....as does Lincoln's Navigator, though the Navigator has not maintained quite the same popularity over the years the Escalade has.
Old 01-29-16, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Navigator does have that name recognition too, but to a much lesser extent I agree.
Old 02-24-16, 06:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The first drive reviews are now starting to come out. Some of the see driving impressions might surprise you.

Motor Trend says it "Feels like a Town Car".

Automobile says " the CT6 interior is generally handsome with tons of creature comforts --- but it's lacking a bona-fide flagship feel"

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The first drive reviews are now starting to come out. Some of the see driving impressions might surprise you.

Then it should do very well in the limo/executive-car/livery business. They are still complaining about the Town Car's loss.

Automobile says " the CT6 interior is generally handsome with tons of creature comforts --- but it's lacking a bona-fide flagship feel"
With that line, though, they should actually explain what they consider a "Flagship Feel". Their idea of luxury (and that of most enthusiast magazines) is usually more sport-oriented than that of the typical more mainstream luxury-car buyer.
Old 02-24-16, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't surprise me at all about the interior, what I've seen I agree 100%. Surprised about the comment about it riding like a Town Car.

What they mean by "feeling like a flagship" is the quality of materials and the "special" feel of the interior. The XT6 inside feels like a nice Cadillac, like an Escalade does, but it's not special like an S Class or a 7 Series, the LS isn't to that level right now but it will be.

And saying it's going to do well in the livery field, I'm sure it will but that's the kiss of death for private sales.

All in all though the first drives look pretty good.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-24-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't surprise me at all about the interior, what I've seen I agree 100%. Surprised about the comment about it riding like a Town Car.

What they mean by "feeling like a flagship" is the quality of materials and the "special" feel of the interior. The XT6 inside feels like a nice Cadillac, like an Escalade does, but it's not special like an S Class or a 7 Series, the LS isn't to that level right now but it will be.

And saying it's going to do well in the livery field, I'm sure it will but that's the kiss of death for private sales.
Yes, the XTS is nice inside (I'll agree with that), but IMO it fails in the chassis/ride-comfort/refinement issues on the road. The one I reviewed also had a front-end shimmy that the factory later admitted was a design-defect, not just tire/wheel balance...supposedly corrected by now.

In its favor, though, it does handle better than the DTS (at a loss of ride-comfort), and, for bad weather, offers a secure AWD option that was lacking on the DTS.

I'm eagerly looking forward to at least a test-drive, if not full-review, of both the CT6 and Continental. In the meantime, if you get a chance to sample one, let us know.
Old 02-24-16, 06:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree. Any mention or idea that it's good for this Cadillac to be associated with limos, town cars, or livery is a bad idea.
Old 02-24-16, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If Cadillac is smart they won't offer any fleet pricing. Let them use the XTS.

The last thing they want is for these to be airport cars, limos...or Hearses...
Old 02-24-16, 07:13 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Good job taking MotorTrend's quote out of context and not providing a link.

Originally Posted by MotorTrend
“It feels like a Town Car,” associate editor Christian Seabaugh says of our Platinum-trimmed CT6 3.0TT AWD test vehicle. “In the nicest way possible.” We’re off to a good start then, particularly if you’re a Panther platform proponent.
The Active Chassis package equipment standard at the Platinum level—magnetorheological shock absorbers with driver-adjustable damping, active rear steering, quicker steering, and 20-inch wheels—lends the CT6 a rather sporty demeanor.
During the CT6’s figure-eight testing, body roll is present and noticeable, but it isn’t distracting or detracting from the experience. The steering is clear with its intentions, and the throttle is responsive to driver input.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...t-test-review/
Old 02-24-16, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree. Any mention or idea that it's good for this Cadillac to be associated with limos, town cars, or livery is a bad idea.
Why is it a bad idea? Are you saying that the limo business should convert to Fiat 500s like they did for Pope Francis?
Old 02-24-16, 07:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why is it a bad idea? Are you saying that the limo business should convert to Fiat 500s like they did for Pope Francis?
Come on? Seriously. It ruins the prestige of the brand and the model in question.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)