Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 07:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why is it a bad idea? Are you saying that the limo business should convert to Fiat 500s like they did for Pope Francis?
I agree with Jill on that statement. It's just like when people say "ew Chrysler those are rental cars." The CT6 being seen as an aspirational car is the goal; this can come under threat if its just known as an airport car/Uber Black ride.
Old 02-24-16, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK.....I don't quite see it that way, but agree that opinions can vary, and I respect them. Still, to me, it seems, some people get caught up too much with image instead of substance.
Old 02-24-16, 07:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Still, to me, it seems, some people get caught up too much with image instead of substance.
Humans aren't entirely logical?!
Old 02-24-16, 07:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

. Still, to me, it seems, some people get caught up too much with image instead of substance.
No. That is EXACLTY it. It's all about image and at the CT6 price point. I think it does have the right IMAGE but the fact that MT mentioned the words Town Car in the review tarnishes it.

Substance too, but what does substance have to do with a limo or livery vehicle.
Old 02-24-16, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Why is it a bad idea? Are you saying that the limo business should convert to Fiat 500s like they did for Pope Francis?
Because as Jill says, it limits prestige. Limo companies can buy whatever cars they want, the only reason all of them have been Lincolns and Cadillacs is for many years they have had really low fleet pricing that appeals to these livery companies...thats why those cars are used. If Lexus....or Mercedes...or whoever had those fleet deals too they would use them.

When you pull up to the Waldorf in NYC in your prestigious luxury sedan, do you want people to think you're a guest at the hotel or a limo driver picking up a guest at the hotel? Thats the point.

OK.....I don't quite see it that way, but agree that opinions can vary, and I respect them. Still, to me, it seems, some people get caught up too much with image instead of substance.
When someone spends $70,000+ on a flagship luxury sedan, image is a very important component in that purchase. A luxury purchase is at its core not just a purchase of "substance". You yourself are not a consumer in this segment, because that wouldn't matter to you is immaterial.

I agree that MT didn't mean the Town Car comment to be a derision of the car.
Old 02-24-16, 08:12 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
When you pull up to the Waldorf in NYC in your prestigious luxury sedan, do you want people to think you're a guest at the hotel or a limo driver picking up a guest at the hotel? Thats the point.
Probably not the best example, but I get your point. The S-class is the preferred chauffeur vehicle for the NYC elite. It's the only place in the U.S. where I regularly see S-class's idling waiting on VIP's to exit buildings.
Old 02-24-16, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Probably not the best example, but I get your point. The S-class is the preferred chauffeur vehicle for the NYC elite. It's the only place in the U.S. where I regularly see S-class's idling waiting on VIP's to exit buildings.
The way the S-Class rides, I can understand its popularity with those who want or expect a magic-carpet chamber. It costs a lot more than most versions of the CT6, though, from what the Caddy reps told us at the D.C. show, the CT6's price, in the loaded upper versions, will approach that of an S-Class (90-95K). But, like its Continental rival, it is expected to start in the 53-55K range.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-16 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 10:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It costs a lot more than most versions of the CT6
Actually every single version of the CT6. The S class starts at 95K while the CT6 maxes around 88k. That is not good for image.

I like the CT6, I want it to succeed, and I do think that it is a worthy competitor of the S class, 7 series and A8. But the price others will point out that it doesn't belong based on the price they are charging.
Old 02-24-16, 10:15 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

only thing I don't like about the car, is the engine and the name. its not a real full size caddy without a v8, and the name, CT6 sounds kind of cheesy. call it a Fleetwood, deville, 60 special, something that they were known for. in the 1950s they really were the world standard. now there a joke with the exeption of the CTS-V. just my 2 cents
Old 02-24-16, 10:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually every single version of the CT6. The S class starts at 95K while the CT6 maxes around 88k. That is not good for image.

I like the CT6, I want it to succeed, and I do think that it is a worthy competitor of the S class, 7 series and A8. But the price others will point out that it doesn't belong based on the price they are charging.
Cadillac isn't positioning this as an S-class competitor. They've already said several times a real flagship is coming.
Old 02-24-16, 11:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The first drive reviews are now starting to come out. Some of the see driving impressions might surprise you.

Motor Trend says it "Feels like a Town Car".

Automobile says " the CT6 interior is generally handsome with tons of creature comforts --- but it's lacking a bona-fide flagship feel"
I thought the CT6 isn't the flagship? That's why they left 7, 8 and 9 available. At least, that's what the "spokeswoman" (ahem, model) on the CT6 turntable at the Philly auto show said.
Old 02-24-16, 11:53 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Really wish Cadillac would make V8's available again for their car lineup. Put the LT1 out of the Corvette in the ATS-V, make it the mid-level engine in the CTS and CT6. All of your competitors offer a mid-level V8, pretty lame that I can't buy one from a company known for their V8's unless I want a bonkers 650hp, stiff riding, $90,000, your wife won't drive it because she's scared of it land missle.
Old 02-24-16, 12:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Really wish Cadillac would make V8's available again for their car lineup. Put the LT1 out of the Corvette in the ATS-V, make it the mid-level engine in the CTS and CT6. All of your competitors offer a mid-level V8, pretty lame that I can't buy one from a company known for their V8's unless I want a bonkers 650hp, stiff riding, $90,000, your wife won't drive it because she's scared of it land missle.
A V8 is coming
Old 02-24-16, 01:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

In Europe, it is common to see Mercedes E class used for airport limos and even taxis. This doesn't seem to impact the perception of Mercedes luxury over there. In fact, one of the hotels I stayed at had an S Class for their airport transportation option. I agree with Mike Marshall that the CT6 would make a great replacement for the Town Car limos and introduce a lot of people to the luxury and room of its backseat.
Steve
Old 02-24-16, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I understand this but like you said, you get the point

Originally Posted by oldcajun
In Europe, it is common to see Mercedes E class used for airport limos and even taxis. This doesn't seem to impact the perception of Mercedes luxury over there. In fact, one of the hotels I stayed at had an S Class for their airport transportation option. I agree with Mike Marshall that the CT6 would make a great replacement for the Town Car limos and introduce a lot of people to the luxury and room of its backseat.
Steve
Europe is different than the American market. Brand is much more important here than it is in Europe, you don't have as stark a line drawn between a "luxury" brand and a "mainstream" brand.

All you have to do is look at public perception of Town Cars and Cadillac Devilles here, ask people their thoughts of purchasing a car that is a common fleet/livery/rental car. In the US, that is not good for brand prestige.

We're not reinventing the wheel here, there is plenty of data that shows the effect a large fleet presence has on product image and its not good.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)