Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually every single version of the CT6. The S class starts at 95K while the CT6 maxes around 88k. That is not good for image.
Cadillac may not yet have released final pricing, but the reps at the D.C. show told us that it would have a huge range of prices.....starting around 53-55K and run and running as high as 90-95K loaded.

The Lincoln people at the show quoted about the same starting price for the Continental (53K), but did not comment on the highest possible prices.
Old 02-24-16, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Because as Jill says, it limits prestige. Limo companies can buy whatever cars they want, the only reason all of them have been Lincolns and Cadillacs is for many years they have had really low fleet pricing that appeals to these livery companies...thats why those cars are used. If Lexus....or Mercedes...or whoever had those fleet deals too they would use them.
Well, it is true that, with a typical dealer-discount, you could buy two Town Cars for the price of one S-Class. When my old Flight Instructor (we've been friends all these years, and still comes to me for car advice) later got a job driving company limos, he took me along one day to get the company a new Town Car.....to check it out, make sure there no defects in it, etc....
I don't remember the exact price, but I think he took it home for around 41K out the door.

When you pull up to the Waldorf in NYC in your prestigious luxury sedan, do you want people to think you're a guest at the hotel or a limo driver picking up a guest at the hotel?
A little off-topic maybe, but if I pulled up at a posh NYC hotel, I'd probably want to get inside before all the waiting panhandlers started hitting me for money LOL

When someone spends $70,000+ on a flagship luxury sedan, image is a very important component in that purchase. A luxury purchase is at its core not just a purchase of "substance". You yourself are not a consumer in this segment, because that wouldn't matter to you is immaterial.
That's by choice....not necessity. I could easily afford a more expensive car if I wanted to. I'd rather spend less on a new car every 4-5 years than really splurge and have to keep it longer to make up. besides, I felt the Verano was better-built than many more expensive Buicks and Cadillacs. That was simply a judgement call on my part.

I agree that MT didn't mean the Town Car comment to be a derision of the car.
We can both agree, though, that the Town car was never very popular in the enthusiast mags, for obvious reasons. Although it's interesting that, a couple of years ago, Peter Egan, who wrote the long-standing "Side Glances" monthly column for Road & Track magazine, bought a used Caddy DTS a couple of years ago as a daily-driver, because he simply got tired of bouncing around all day in his restored British-roadster projects.....wanted some comfort.
Old 02-24-16, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's by choice....not necessity. I could easily afford a more expensive car if I wanted to. I'd rather spend less on a new car every 4-5 years than really splurge and have to keep it longer to make up. besides, I felt the Verano was better-built than many more expensive Buicks and Cadillacs. That was simply a judgement call on my part.
Whether its by choice or necessity it doesn't change the fact that you're not the target consumer for this vehicle. If somebody were the target consumer they would not make that choice. What matters is what matters to that target consumer....and that target consumer cares about prestige. Sharing the car with every airport sedan driver, limo driver, and funeral home operator limits that prestige.
Old 02-24-16, 05:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I felt the Verano was better-built than many more expensive Buicks and Cadillacs.
Even thought the ATS and CTS are having a little bit of a hard time being accepted they are far superior car than what is offered under Buick. Especially when it comes to prestige.

Any sort of fleet sale is the wrong idea for the CT6. XTS fine, I can accept. As for the CT6, another issue of perception and image is the fact that the hybrid model is going to be made in China and exported to the USA. Just the idea of China will make it a tough sale to the upper class type of buyer.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-16 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 06:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And with Cadillac being the quintessential American luxury car the idea of them being built anywhere else doesn't seem right...
Old 02-24-16, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Even thought the ATS and CTS are having a little bit of a hard time being accepted they are far superior car than what is offered under Buick. Especially when it comes to prestige.
I don't judge a car by prestige, Jill. ...but by the nuts and bolts.

Any sort of fleet sale is the wrong idea for the CT6. XTS fine, I can accept. As for the CT6, another issue of perception and image is the fact that the hybrid model is going to be made in China and exported to the USA. Just the idea of China will make it a tough sale to the upper class type of buyer.
Let's not put the cart before the horse.....which I think is what some people here are doing. This car hasn't even been officially released to the public yet...only to the press. It won't be, for several more months. I think it's a little too early to try and predict what percentages will be fleet-sales and what will be private purchases/leases. Same with the Continental.
Old 02-24-16, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't judge a car by prestige, Jill. I judge it by the nuts and bolts.

Let's not put the cart before the horse, which I think is what some people here are doing. The CT6 hasn't even been released to the general public yet.....won't be for several more months. Only the auto press has access to it right now. I think it's a little too early to try and predict what percentages will be fleet-sales and which will be private purchases/leases.

And, since you're on the subject of "superior cars", look at what J.D. Power just published: There's a thread on it elsewhere here in Car Chat that Hoovey posted:.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9381028

2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

Compact car

Highest Ranked: Buick Verano

Toyota Corolla

Toyota Prius
Old 02-24-16, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't judge a car by prestige, Jill. ...but by the nuts and bolts.
But the buying public does judge a car based on prestige...and thats what we're talking about here...how the car will perform with the buying public in its target market. Cadillac has shown that they can build a car that can draw critical acclaim, but that hasn't translated into real sales success yet. Why is that? Because buyers are selecting cars they feel are better cars at the price points these Cadillacs are listed at. If the Cadillac wins the tests and is quantifiably a better car...why are consumers not buying them? Their perception of the brand for the value.

And please...lets not also make this a conversation about Buick and the Verano. Seriously at this point they should just add "Verano" to the list of blocked words for the forum.
Old 02-24-16, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But the buying public does judge a car based on prestige...and thats what we're talking about here...how the car will perform with the buying public in its target market. Cadillac has shown that they can build a car that can draw critical acclaim, but that hasn't translated into real sales success yet. Why is that? Because buyers are selecting cars they feel are better cars at the price points these Cadillacs are listed at. If the Cadillac wins the tests and is quantifiably a better car...why are consumers not buying them? Their perception of the brand for the value.
Like I said, let's see how it actually does. Right now, IMO, trying to guess future fleet-vs.-private sales is putting the cart before the horse.

And please...lets not also make this a conversation about Buick and the Verano. Seriously at this point they should just add "Verano" to the list of blocked words for the forum.
Fair enough...I'll buy that. But I'm not always the one that brings it up.
Old 02-24-16, 07:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Exactly. Cadillac should have bitten the bullet and spent a few years pricing their cars under their competitors (even if they are equally as good) to give themselves an edge and grow their brand through 1) people seeing them on the road and 2) having satisfied owners spread the word to others. Instead, they priced in the same market range without having the brand cache to back it up.

Lexus went through that period, and even now still does with some models, and it has worked well for them in terms of moving inventory and developing a brand. You have to have the cars on the road before people can take you seriously.
Old 02-24-16, 07:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Thank you! Also no mention of being built on an Opel platform.
Old 02-24-16, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
[/U][/B]

Thank you! Also no mention of being built on an Opel platform.
AND....no mention of the Cruze and Verano being brothers.
Old 02-24-16, 08:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Cruze Verano brothers
See how image plays such a roll....
Old 02-24-16, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Exactly. Cadillac should have bitten the bullet and spent a few years pricing their cars under their competitors (even if they are equally as good) to give themselves an edge and grow their brand through 1) people seeing them on the road and 2) having satisfied owners spread the word to others. Instead, they priced in the same market range without having the brand cache to back it up.

Lexus went through that period, and even now still does with some models, and it has worked well for them in terms of moving inventory and developing a brand. You have to have the cars on the road before people can take you seriously.
I agree and I also disagree. Cadillac took a big swing and it didn't produce the hit they thought it would. When I first saw the CTS (MT car of the year) I was just blown away......but as time passed, I still thought the Audi/MB/BMW and the Lexus brand was far superior. Looking back, the prices should of been cheaper to start with, but it was a risk to take that dodnt pay off.

As for Lexus, I think they are going to take the next steps with the LS and LC and move those MSRP further up market. They seem to believe the Lexus brand cam achieve the price increase. And I think they will be right.
Old 02-24-16, 08:26 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree and I also disagree. Cadillac took a big swing and it didn't produce the hit they thought it would. When I first saw the CTS (MT car of the year) I was just blown away......but as time passed, I still thought the Audi/MB/BMW and the Lexus brand was far superior. Looking back, the prices should of been cheaper to start with, but it was a risk to take that dodnt pay off.

As for Lexus, I think they are going to take the next steps with the LS and LC and move those MSRP further up market. They seem to believe the Lexus brand cam achieve the price increase. And I think they will be right.
We are on the same page. Lexus spent many years priced below the competition (in some cases they still are) but have now built enough of a brand that they can introduce cars that can compete at the same price level. That is what Cadillac needs to do.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)