Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 12:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
CT6 is no doubt a solid car, I was able to drive several variants myself, but is it answering a question no one is asking, or perhaps just a slim niche?
I think Cadillac is asking the question if consumers will buy a high end Cadillac. Personally, I believe it will work in a similar way as the Escalade has. As MB and Mercedes further increases the starting price of a their flagships, it starts to open up the idea that another set of vehicles in the former price range might work.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Off-topic, but a similar product focusing on a tweener type segment is the Nissan Titan XD. Trying to live somewhere between half-ton and heavy duty life. No doubt an attractive product on some specifications, but potentially a very small subset of actual market demand.
There is no niche. I have seen the Titan XD and it definitely. 3/4 ton, but with slightly less capability. Worst part is that a High Country Duramax Silverado 3/4 HD is about 4k more vs the Platinum Reserve Nissan. Most people will just buy the Chevy, which is almost every single way a better truck.
Old 03-18-16, 09:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This new Caddy is going to be a massive hit.

https://thenewswheel.com/man-who-bid...-receives-car/

Man Who Bid $200,000 for the First Cadillac CT6 Finally Receives Car

Last April, Car dealer David Flynn of Columbiana, Ohio, bid the sum of $200,000 for the right to purchase the first retail production model of the 2016 Cadillac CT6 sedan. Eleven months later, he finally collected his trophy car.

“It’s terrific,” Flynn said after seeing his sedan for the first time. “I told my oldest daughter she could have it, but I’m re-thinking that decision now after seeing it.”

Flynn and his family were given a full tour the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant, also known as D-Ham, where the building of his prized sedan had just been completed only four days prior to his visit. The car dealer and his family met with members of the D-Ham staff, as well as the CT6 launch team during their tour. The designers of the CT6 sedan also gave the family an autographed sketch of the vehicle.

The precise CT6 trim level that Flynn received was not specified, but it did appear that his sedan featured the Stellar Black Metallic exterior color option. Even if he just received the base CT6 model, his Cadillac still came with leather upholstery, dual-zone climate control, and GM’s OnStar system with 4G LTE connection and Wi-Fi hotspot capability.

The $200,000 that Flynn bid for the Cadillac CT6 all went to the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute. The GM Foundation donated an additional $500,000 to support cancer research at Karmanos back in 2015. Karmanos President and CEO, Gerold Bepler, expressed gratitude for both donations after last year’s successful auction.

“We are extremely grateful for our long-standing partnership with GM and the GM Foundation whose philanthropic contributions continue to support our mission to do all we can to end cancer,” Bepler is quoted as saying. “GM is constantly perfecting and advancing its vehicle engineering, as shown in the exciting Cadillac CT6. So too is our team of expert oncologists and researchers relentless in their commitment to advance discoveries that can lead to new treatments for those battling cancer.”
Old 03-18-16, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Not sure how what basically is a charitable donation has to do with the future success of the car. He donated to charity, what car it was is immaterial.

Not going to be a runaway success IMHO...
Old 03-18-16, 12:10 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Today's 4 cylinderers make yesterday's v8 power. The 2.0T has as much power as the s430 2 gens ago
They may produce similar power, but not when being asked to propel that much weight; smooth and seamlessly at that.
greg and I both own the LS model.
My reason for mentioning that is because I can absolutely comprehend his school of thought in desiring a strong, true-engineered V8 to power a large luxury sedan, as the V8 in the LS is incredibly smooth AND powerful, though the tranny can be a bit dull-witted at times.
Old 03-18-16, 12:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
They may produce similar power, but not when being asked to propel that much weight; smooth and seamlessly at that.
greg and I both own the LS model.
My reason for mentioning that is because I can absolutely comprehend his school of thought in desiring a strong, true-engineered V8 to power a large luxury sedan, as the V8 in the LS is incredibly smooth AND powerful, though the tranny can be a bit dull-witted at times.
I don't think anyone would argue that. But, the trend for cars today is to generate an experience and a driving one is what is sought after.

A modern 2016 404hp turbo V6 is probably going to be more thrilling, captivating, and interesting than a 386hp V8 from the 2007 era.

Caddy CTS-V just won a Motor Trend comparo over the Audi and Lexus GS-f which had the fastest performance from the V8.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-18-16 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

A modern 2016 404hp turbo V6 is probably going to be more thrilling, captivating, and interesting than a 386hp V6 from the 2007 era.

I think you meant a V8, Jill, not a V6. But, nonetheless, I agree with you that today's twin-turbo V6s will generally give you more of a kick in the pants than yesterday's normally-aspirated V8s....though perhaps not quite matching them in refinement.

Caddy CTS-V just one a Motor Trend comparo over the Audi and Lexus GS-f which had the fastest performance from the V8.
Another typo, Jill.....I think you meant "won". I'd also probably pick the CTS-V myself, though I'm not impressed with some of the things on the CTS's dash.

(I'm not just getting on your case.....I sometimes make typos myself)
Old 03-18-16, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you meant a V8, Jill, not a V6. But, nonetheless, I agree with you that today's twin-turbo V6s will generally give you more of a kick in the pants than yesterday's normally-aspirated V8s....though perhaps not quite matching them in refinement.

Another typo, Jill.....I think you meant "won". I'd also probably pick the CTS-V myself, though I'm not impressed with some of the things on the CTS's dash.

(I'm not just getting on your case.....I sometimes make typos myself)
Fixed the typo, thanks.
Old 03-18-16, 01:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I recently drove the new Turbo and Supercharged I4 Volvo SUV with start stop. What an a fantastic experience, was far less refined than a GX or LX, but it was much more fun and interesting. And you could always feel the engine start.stop in traffic or at a stop.

Everything has a place.
Old 03-18-16, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I recently drove the new Turbo and Supercharged I4 Volvo SUV with start stop. What an a fantastic experience, was far less refined than a GX or LX, but it was much more fun and interesting. And you could always feel the engine start.stop in traffic or at a stop.

Everything has a place.
Does that start/stop feature have an deactivate control? Unless you are really going to be sitting in gridlock traffic for some time, that is not a feature I'm very impressed with. I understand the fuel-economy savings from not idling, but it's annoying to lose the heater, A/C (if belt-driven), or other engine-driven systems at every stoplight or in traffic. Plus, it places a lot of extra wear on the starter-motor and battery.

I know the CT6 is going to use that on some engines.....I hope they also have a deactivate control.
Old 03-18-16, 01:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does that start/stop feature have an deactivate control? Unless you are really going to be sitting in gridlock traffic for some time, that is not a feature I'm very impressed with. I understand the fuel-economy savings from not idling, but it's annoying to lose the heater, A/C (if belt-driven), or other engine-driven systems at every stoplight or in traffic. Plus, it places a lot of extra wear on the starter-motor and battery.

I know the CT6 is going to use that on some engines.....I hope they also have a deactivate control.
For Volvo you turn it off. I think GM too. I doubt you loose the heat.
Old 03-18-16, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For Volvo you turn it off. I think GM too. I doubt you loose the heat.
Well, the heater core and hot anti-freeze (if the engine is fully-warm), won't cool down that quickly, but, with the engine off at a stoplight, the fan motor probably won't run....unless they have it wired directly to the battery, and then you're draining the battery until the engine starts back up. Living in Toronto, I'm sure you have an appreciation for how cold winter can get there. Even here in D.C., quite a ways south of where you are, it can sometimes get close to zero or below.
Old 03-18-16, 01:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, the heater core and hot anti-freeze (if the engine is fully-warm), won't cool down that quickly, but, with the engine off at a stoplight, the fan motor probably won't run....unless they have it wired directly to the battery, and then you're draining the battery until the engine starts back up. Living in Toronto, I'm sure you have an appreciation for how cold winter can get there. Even here in D.C., quite a ways south of where you are, it can sometimes get close to zero or below.
Modern vehicles with start stop will automatically start is the temp is reduced while stopped.
Old 03-18-16, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

those things to me might be 'fun and interesting' for the first day or so, but after that would become annoying and irritating.
Old 03-18-16, 08:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those things to me might be 'fun and interesting' for the first day or so, but after that would become annoying and irritating.
Big time.
Old 03-18-16, 11:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Exactly. Just because a small 4 cylinder turbocharged engine makes on paper similar power numbers compared to a large V6 or V8 doesn't mean it drives/feels the same.

Now I'm not saying "oh all these new 4 cylinder turbos suck" because they don't, some are way better than others. I just think automakers are foolhardy by sticking these small displacement turbo engines in the wrong vehicles, like that huge/heavy XC90.

Just like I also think its a slap in the face for Cadillac to even offer a 4 cylinder power plant on their flagship car, then to not offer a V8 on top of that, its kind of sad. The LT1 V8 out of the Corvette would've been a great engine to stuff in the CT6 and CTS.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)