Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 08:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Caddy's issue has been pricing ever since the new CTS came out. They are pricing their cars comparably to the intended competition but it doesn't quite have the same cache yet. .
That is a huge issue and a big concern IMO. While these Cadillacs might be good, they simply do not have the cache or prestige of the German cars and the most of the Lexus line up. This new CT6 is just not going to do it, it took one look at the product to figure that out.

The exterior is the CT6 looks boring and the interior is not much different in design than a Impala or a Avalon.

Sadly, this CT6 should of been released to the public in 2005.
Old 04-03-15, 09:01 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chiming in again because I like this car a lot and want to defend it. Looked at an S-class in the parking lot for a long while during lunch. Style-wise, NOTHING is ultra-showy or daring on it. It's about as vanilla as the C6 is with a more squared and brand-familiar motif. The interior is another matter entirely, however. The only sorta- big cars currently that are doing ANTYYYTHHHIINNGG daring are the (truly) mid-sided Panamera the Audi A/R/RS7. Nobody else is rocking the boat. Even the LS just put the pred grill on the same car. C'mon guys.

Not to mention, the engine configs they are offering now will absolutely beg for newer, more powerful trim levels, ie V-V6s and V8s. This is gonna be a good car for Cadillac. I can feel it.
Old 04-03-15, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
Looked at an S-class in the parking lot for a long while during lunch. Style-wise, NOTHING is ultra-showy or daring on it.
The S Class is the undisputed leader of its segment. It doesn't have to get noticed or stand out. Cadillac doesn't need a radical design, but it needs something that won't be mistaken for its cheaper stablemates. It needs a car that makes a statement so they can break through. This car doesn't do that inside or outside. Nothing is over the top good about this car and thats a problem.
Old 04-03-15, 02:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
Chiming in again because I like this car a lot and want to defend it. The only sorta- big cars currently that are doing ANTYYYTHHHIINNGG daring
The LS, Sclass, A8, and 7 series do not have to do anything. They are already established in the segment both based on car and the brand.

And that IS the problem with this new CT6 , it does nothing special, the design is bland, interior is too much like an Impala or Avalon and there really isnt all that much to it. It might be fine for Cadillac fans, but why would an A8 owner or a LS owner want the CT6.

The CT6 should of been good enough to put everyone on notice, but in fact its just another yawn from General Motors.
Old 04-03-15, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm getting ready to potentially be shopping in that segment, the LS, S Class, 7, XJ, A8 all have a wow factor that makes me want to check them out. This CT6 doesn't appeal to me on any level. The inside looks drab and mass produced, the exterior is derivative and lacks the detail and trim I expect at that level. This car looks like it would cost about $50,000 to me.

Cadillac can do it. Both the CTS and XTS got me in the dealership to check them out. I wouldn't even bother to test drive this.
Old 04-03-15, 02:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The LS, Sclass, A8, and 7 series do not have to do anything. They are already established in the segment both based on car and the brand.

And that IS the problem with this new CT6 , it does nothing special, the design is bland, interior is too much like an Impala or Avalon and there really isnt all that much to it. It might be fine for Cadillac fans, but why would an A8 owner or a LS owner want the CT6.

The CT6 should of been good enough to put everyone on notice, but in fact its just another yawn from General Motors.
Just think about that for a second. Caddy can barely move the ATS, which has received many very positive reviews. The President wants the brand to command prices in line with the competition, rather than try and undercut the competition, or at least load it up with more features for the same price.

What's going to happen to the CT6, when it's offered at $70,000 with a 250hp turbo 4, and other flagship models have V8s (or turbo 6s)? Something has to make this, and other Caddys, a compelling purchase vs the competition. It's not reliability, it's not value, it's not style, it's not standard navigation--what is it?? Will I get a free toaster oven if I buy one?
Old 04-03-15, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm getting ready to potentially be shopping in that segment, the LS, S Class, 7, XJ, A8 all have a wow factor that makes me want to check them out. This CT6 doesn't appeal to me on any level. The inside looks drab and mass produced, the exterior is derivative and lacks the detail and trim I expect at that level. This car looks like it would cost about $50,000 to me.

Cadillac can do it. Both the CTS and XTS got me in the dealership to check them out. I wouldn't even bother to test drive this.
When looking at these others, are you going to wait for the Continental Concept to reach production before making a decision, or just choose from whatever else is available at the time?

I reviewed a new XJ a few years ago (when it first debuted), and, while not as smooth riding as previous Jag XJ models, was still a pretty impressive car. You would probably like the interior...it is still elegant without having as much wood-paneling all across the dash as the older XJs, which, judging from some of your posts, seems to be one of the things you look for. By today's standards, it's a big, solid car, too, and you could probably put your twins in the back seat with at least a reasonable safety-factor.

The main thing I'd be concerned with about having a Jag in the American market, though, would be depreciation. Relatively low sales and low demand usually (but not always) means a low residual.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-15 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When looking at thee others, are you going to wait for the Continental Concept to reach production before making a decision, or just choose from whatever else is available at the time?
No, I'm a leaser so its not my forever car. Who knows how far off it is, and it will still be FWD. I'm not interested in another FWD car.
Old 04-03-15, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, I'm a leaser so its not my forever car. Who knows how far off it is, and it will still be FWD. I'm not interested in another FWD car.
I wouldn't bet on the base versions being FWD. Lincoln knows that it has to come with a credible replacement for the Town Car.....something they clearly failed to do with the MKS. But at the same time, they'll probably have to offer an AWD option for bad weather. You have a point on the release-date........we might be waiting a while.
Old 04-03-15, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They don't really need a replacement for the Town Car as much as they need a true RWD flagship car, or RWD platforms in general. The Town Car wouldn't fill that roll either.

If the concept is FWD...the car will be FWD. Its off the Fusion platform which is FWD. Even if it has AWD, its still at its core a FWD car which I don't want and other premium buyers don't want.
Old 04-03-15, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If the concept is FWD...the car will be FWD. Its off the Fusion platform which is FWD.
OK...I did some quick research on some other sites, and, yes, it is an extended Fusion/MKZ platform. The original thread-article here on Car Chat didn't mention that....IMO, it should have. I'll agree with you....based on that design-criteria, it will almost certainly FWD on the base models. So, I'll drop that issue.

Anyhow, good luck on your search. Sounds like it is going to be interesting.

And just an aside comment...with new twins, I can see why you'd want a big, full-size (by today's standards) car with a lot of new up-to-date safety features in it.
Old 04-03-15, 06:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

OK...I did some quick research on some other sites, and, yes, it is an extended Fusion/MKZ platform. The original thread-article here on Car Chat didn't mention that....IMO, it should have. I'll agree with you....based on that design-criteria, it will almost certainly FWD on the base models. So, I'll drop that issue.

Anyhow, good luck on your search. Sounds like it is going to be interesting.

And just an aside comment...with new twins, I can see why you'd want a big, full-size (by today's standards) car with a lot of new up-to-date safety features in it.
For the record, I mentioned more than once in that thread that the Continental was going to be on the CD4 Fusion platform. SW13GS, I personally don't know why it matters seeing as you said you were interested in the Audi A8. That car is natively FWD too.
Old 04-03-15, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
For the record, I mentioned more than once in that thread that the Continental was going to be on the CD4 Fusion platform.
I was referring to the original article. But anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, that matter is settled. I'm not going to bring it up again.....no need to.

SW13GS, I personally don't know why it matters seeing as you said you were interested in the Audi A8. That car is natively FWD too.
I can't remember the last time I've seen a FWD A8, though, at least in the American market. Quattro, for years, was either standard or a near-universal option.
Old 04-03-15, 06:56 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't remember the last time I've seen a FWD A8, though, at least in the American market. Quattro, for years, was either standard or a near-universal option.
I said that more in response to the bold part below:

They don't really need a replacement for the Town Car as much as they need a true RWD flagship car, or RWD platforms in general. The Town Car wouldn't fill that roll either.

If the concept is FWD...the car will be FWD. Its off the Fusion platform which is FWD. Even if it has AWD, its still at its core a FWD car which I don't want and other premium buyers don't want.
Old 04-03-15, 07:23 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The car is definitely a game-changer for Cadillac......and I'm definitely digging that 34 speaker BOSE sound system that this car has.

That being said, this car needs a V8 engine. I mean if Hyundai can put one in a Genesis Sedan then Cadillac should put one as well for this CT6.

I hope they're working on it....
Agreed. Kinda like how Acura has done so well with its flagship RL/RLX with no V8. But at least the Cadillac has a more upscale look.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)