Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Agreed. Kinda like how Acura has done so well with its flagship RL/RLX with no V8.
Unfortunately, "Doing Well" certainly has not meant high sales for either the RL or RLX, but there were more issues involved with that than just the engine. A shame, too, because both are extremely well-made cars.

But at least the Cadillac has a more upscale look.
Agreed. IMHO, it is getting more panning than it deserves. The only thing I'd eliminate is the CUE system.
Old 04-03-15, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
For the record, I mentioned more than once in that thread that the Continental was going to be on the CD4 Fusion platform. SW13GS, I personally don't know why it matters seeing as you said you were interested in the Audi A8. That car is natively FWD too.
Audi handles the transition from FWD to RWD differently than others. True, the A8 can be had FWD in other markets, but the AWD Quattro version has a longitudinally mounted engine and has a rear biased power split. All AWD Audis are that way. An AWD Fusion based Lincoln won't be that way.
Old 04-03-15, 08:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Just think about that for a second. Caddy can barely move the ATS, which has received many very positive reviews. The President wants the brand to command prices in line with the competition, rather than try and undercut the competition, or at least load it up with more features for the same price.

What's going to happen to the CT6, when it's offered at $70,000 with a 250hp turbo 4, and other flagship models have V8s (or turbo 6s)? Something has to make this, and other Caddys, a compelling purchase vs the competition. It's not reliability, it's not value, it's not style, it's not standard navigation--what is it?? Will I get a free toaster oven if I buy one?
What is gonna happen is that people will realize that the car is nice, but not 7series or LS series nice. Cadillac will be in the same place it is now. The exterior really does nothing. I would of liked to see some kind design that would of changed the game for the flagship segment.
Old 04-03-15, 09:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Audi handles the transition from FWD to RWD differently than others. True, the A8 can be had FWD in other markets, but the AWD Quattro version has a longitudinally mounted engine and has a rear biased power split. All AWD Audis are that way. An AWD Fusion based Lincoln won't be that way.
True true, although I must mention the Audi A3 is an exception to your post. It's set up just like the Continental will be (although the S3 has a performance oriented torque split). I get your point at the Continental's price point though.
Old 04-04-15, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
True true, although I must mention the Audi A3 is an exception to your post. It's set up just like the Continental will be (although the S3 has a performance oriented torque split). I get your point at the Continental's price point though.
Haven't spent much time with the A3.

At the lower price points I don't have an issue with it, for instance like I said in another thread...nobody is saying the CT needs to be RWD. But, premium cars are overwhelmingly RWD, and economy cars are overwhelmingly FWD. FWD is an economy powertrain, RWD is a premium powertrain. When I spend $50k+...I expect a RWD layout car. That was my point about the RX in the other thread. When it lives mostly in the $40s and compares to Buicks, or the MDX, it being FWD is fine. When they start positioning it to compete with say...the X5...and from a style perspective they are and I think you will find the new unmarket RX will easily top $60k...it needs to be on a proper premium RWD platform.
Old 04-04-15, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

RWD is a premium powertrain. When I spend $50k+...I expect a RWD layout car. That was my point about the RX in the other thread. When it lives mostly in the $40s and compares to Buicks, or the MDX, it being FWD is fine. When they start positioning it to compete with say...the X5...and from a style perspective they are and I think you will find the new unmarket RX will easily top $60k...it needs to be on a proper premium RWD platform.
Buick itself, though, has not only recently done the Avenir concept (a full-size sedan with RWD), but, also, at least until GM's Holden production in Australia stops in a couple of years, may (?) have the option of the RWD Commodore platform like Chevy's SS uses. The SS, of course, is quite sport-oriented...a Buick version would likely be more comfort-oriented. The main sticking problem with that, though, seems to be simply if GM would commit to an adequate number of Buick Commodore production.....Chevy only did a few thousand SS models. Buick also did a concept Grand National on the Commodore/SS platform, but plans for that must also have fallen through the cracks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-04-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Haven't spent much time with the A3.

At the lower price points I don't have an issue with it, for instance like I said in another thread...nobody is saying the CT needs to be RWD. But, premium cars are overwhelmingly RWD, and economy cars are overwhelmingly FWD. FWD is an economy powertrain, RWD is a premium powertrain. When I spend $50k+...I expect a RWD layout car. That was my point about the RX in the other thread. When it lives mostly in the $40s and compares to Buicks, or the MDX, it being FWD is fine. When they start positioning it to compete with say...the X5...and from a style perspective they are and I think you will find the new unmarket RX will easily top $60k...it needs to be on a proper premium RWD platform.
I hear what you're saying, but Audi has done quite well with Quattro. My S5 handles better and feels more planted than my GS F Sport did, plus it puts the power down to all four wheels so it takes off quicker. Audi has found a great workaround to being FWD biased.

The A8 can run $100k+ and I wouldn't have any qualms about putting it in the same league as the LS or 7 Series. (Maybe not the S Class because that has them all beat.)
Old 01-26-16, 11:56 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

this thing is under 3700 lbs !
Lexus is making porkers
Old 01-27-16, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's BIG, too, especially considering its weight. I got a good look at it yesterday at the D.C. Auto Show, though it was roped off and inaccessible for sitting inside.
Old 01-27-16, 06:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't think it looked as big as it is. It's really long, but it's low and wide. I liked it a lot more in person than I have in pictures. Interior still doesn't look up to that level though.
Old 01-27-16, 07:03 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
this thing is under 3700 lbs !
Lexus is making porkers
It's all that innovative aluminum construction.
Old 01-27-16, 09:59 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
It's all that innovative aluminum construction.
It is much more than just aluminum construction although that is a significant part. There is a whole listing of high tech design in the chassis such as aluminum casting for high load areas, special bonding techniques for joining aluminum to steel, etc. Cadillac engineered just about every inch of the chassis to meet strength and stiffness requirements with minimum weight. The result, is a car slightly larger than a current LS that weighs only 74 lb more than an IS200t. The chassis is also very stiff in both bending and torsion.

This has got to be a very expensive car to manufacture and I'm not sure that most luxury buyers will appreciate the effort. The base car with the turbo 4 at $55K is probably very competitive with the new E300 or a 528 but will battle the image issue. At $85K for the Platinum version, it will be a tough sell.

If the CT6 is a sales failure, it could set innovative engineering in American cars back for years. I, for one, hope it does well.

My view of the Lincoln Continental is that it is a totally different approach. Make your current design/technology the best it can be. This is the lowest cost and risk, but the lowest potential reward, especially for the buyer.
Steve
Old 01-27-16, 10:59 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more impressed with the CT6 than I was originally but at the end of the day I still believe it will be a tough sell. All the press cars are loaded with Platinum packages and come out at around $83,000. Well-equipped Jaguar XJs and Audi A8s cost about that much. The interior and pedigree of those cars is at a higher level. Even in the Platinum trim level the interior buttons are all cheap-looking plastic and those rear LCD screens look a decade-old especially with their plastic coverings.

The interiors of the run-of-the-mill CT6s won't be nearly as special as the Platinum models and those cars are going to be priced right with the likes of the new E-class which is a much more special car inside an out. The only redeeming quality of the CT6 over the new E-class is say, rear legroom, but otherwise it has no redeeming qualities. It's going to get even tougher for the CT6 when the new 5-series, A6, and GS hit showrooms within the next 2-3 years.

I predicted that the ATS and CTS would both be sales flops and I was correct. They are decent cars but not nearly as good as the American journalists made them out to be. As time went on these reviewers slowly become and more honest and starting pointing out some of the flaws including fit-and-finish issues, CUE being horrible, somewhat boring styling, etc. I predict the CT6 will do well with the senior citizen crowd but it won't threaten the Germans or future crop of Lexuses.
Old 01-27-16, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I'm afraid they have overpriced this car by about $10,000 too.
Old 01-27-16, 12:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Needs a much better interior then those pics.

It is again priced too high with a useless 4cyl base engine. Why a 4cyl in a car like this?

If it comes with that interior and a 4cyl base engine it is not going to sell well.

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)