Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exclusive: Next-Gen Kia Optima to Premiere Brand New Design Way

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 06:01 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exclusive: Next-Gen Kia Optima to Premiere Brand New Design Way

Kia is finishing the next generation Optima development (also called K5), and the next generation codenamed as “JF” will debut during the first quarter of 2015 (the car will be showcased at the New York AutoShow held in April).

This project is a very difficult task for Kia engineers and Peter Schreyer’s design team, how to improve one of the most beautiful and succesful Kia models ever designed, and also lead K-series sales in South Korea. (Kia is currently losing market share every month in its local market)
That’s why the new Kia Optima will feature a more sharper design (will premiere Kia’s new sedans design way, and will be followed by the next generation K7/Cadenza in 2016), a better interior quality and an engine choice between petrol, diesel (in Europe), hybrid (available in late 2015) and for the first time, a plug-in hybrid model (this car will be available during 2016).

The design sticks closely to the current MY2015 Optima, including a wide “tiger nose” grille connected with the headlights from side to side and a wider taillights at the rear end. Speaking with Kia’s design team, the car won’t look like a latest Sorento and Sedona models, because these cars have a different target than sedans.

The petrol model will have more aggressive and sporty air intakes in the front bumper, while the hybrid models get a closed front grille that opens automatically when cooling is required. New wheels and colour palette finished exterior updates.

The interior quality will get another step forward, like in the new generation Kia Sorento, the Optima will have new 8″ inch infotainment system larger getting all the attention from the new leather-wrapped dash. The Optima will use the same chassis as the new Sonata LF, this means a higher use of high-strenght steel, more than 50%, but more weight.

Hope Kia engineers can handle with this and the next generation Optima doesn’t have the same power decrease like the Sonata to keep fuel economy. What do you think?
http://thekoreancarblog.com/2014/12/...ew-design-way/
Old 01-09-15, 03:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The Optima will use the same chassis as the new Sonata LF, this means a higher use of high-strength steel, more than 50%, but more weight.
More weight o.0
Old 01-09-15, 04:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
More weight o.0
I wouldn't take this blog as the final say. I don't think the 2015 gained much weight from the 2014.

2015 per Hyundai's website ranges from 3,252 to 3,607

2014, 3,245 to 3,527

Not all that much change especially given all the new technology and safety content the 2015 added.
Old 01-09-15, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Kia is finishing the next generation Optima development (also called K5),
Hmm..........interesting. Since Kia has already named its U.S.-market flagship the K9, K7 Cadenza, and now (maybe) the Optima the K5, I wonder if this is the start of a whole new naming system for its lineup (K1, K2, K3, etc.....). The tendency of a number of automakers has been to do just that....give up spelled names for letter or number combinations.

Hope Kia engineers can handle with this and the next generation Optima doesn’t have the same power decrease like the Sonata to keep fuel economy. What do you think?
The Sonata really hasn't lost power, even with the four-bangers. The turbo version still has 260 ft-lbs. of torque.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-15 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 12:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I wouldn't take this blog as the final say. I don't think the 2015 gained much weight from the 2014.

2015 per Hyundai's website ranges from 3,252 to 3,607

2014, 3,245 to 3,527

Not all that much change especially given all the new technology and safety content the 2015 added.
Even if there was an increase in weight the efficient powertrains including the PHEV can negate it somewhat.
Old 01-10-15, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Jut curious, did the last gen Optima come out at the same time as the Sonata? I am disappointed the two did not debut at the same time here.
Old 01-10-15, 11:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hmm..........interesting. Since Kia has already named its U.S.-market flagship the K9, K7 Cadenza, and now (maybe) the Optima the K5, I wonder if this is the start of a whole new naming system for its lineup (K1, K2, K3, etc.....). The tendency of a number of automakers has been to do just that....give up spelled names for letter or number combinations.

The Sonata really hasn't lost power, even with the four-bangers. The turbo version still has 260 ft-lbs. of torque.
Its called the K5 in Korea not sure if that was mentioned... A little HP increase would be nice instead of decreasing like Hyundai did with the Sonata.... 34 months with my Optima turbo and no issues..
Old 01-11-15, 07:01 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Full set of spy photos

Old 02-10-15, 10:06 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Kia to Debut D-Segment Concept Car in Geneva, May Preview Next-Gen Optima

Just ahead of its debut at the Geneva Motor Show on March 3, Kia is teasing a new D-segment concept car which most likely previews the next-generation Optima sedan.

The 11th concept car created by the company’s European design studio in Frankfurt, Germany, features “confident, powerful lines which sweep elegantly from Kia’s hallmark ‘tiger-nose’ grille towards the rear of the vehicle,” according to the release.

Kia also says the as-yet-unnamed study has been created “as a spacious and versatile accessory to an active lifestyle, as a purposeful, energetic design study for the style-conscious, and as a sanctuary from the stresses of the modern world.”

Moving on from the press blurb, the teaser photo allows us to notice that the study does not look futuristic at all, leading us to believe it will transition into a production model quite smoothly. The photo also allows us to notice the similar shape to the current-generation Optima, as well as sporty details like the vented fenders and the alloy wheels.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/kia...pt-car-in.html
Old 02-10-15, 03:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow, looks like a Camaro front end!
Old 02-10-15, 03:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Wow, looks like a Camaro front end!
All I could think of was the Jaguar XE. I don't actually think they look alike, mind you, just that it reminded me of the XE. And that's partially because they're both red with an interesting wheel design.

Name:  MBZTmit.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  21.8 KB
Old 02-10-15, 04:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

no the kia one is way longer as is common with fwd.
Old 02-10-15, 05:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
All I could think of was the Jaguar XE. I don't actually think they look alike, mind you, just that it reminded me of the XE. And that's partially because they're both red with an interesting wheel design.

yeah they did... i really dont know why they still copy other brands when they have design boss from the Audi.
Old 02-10-15, 07:08 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah they did... i really dont know why they still copy other brands when they have design boss from the Audi.
I highly doubt they copied the XE considering no one knew what the XE even looked like until just recently. The XE itself up front is a bit derivative of the F30 3 series. Any resemblance to the XE is probably just coincidental due to Kia front end graphic design also being a bit derivative of BMW.
Old 02-10-15, 07:32 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd like to remind everyone I did not say they copied the XE, but rather that it reminded me of the XE.

Quick Reply: Exclusive: Next-Gen Kia Optima to Premiere Brand New Design Way