Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Washington, D.C. Auto Show Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think the auto correct on my Mac changed "TLX" to "TSX" lol.

Yeah its an okay car. Not anything I could ever have any passion for.
Its most noteworthy feature, right now, is the American market's only (for the moment) transmission that combines dual-clutch technology with a torque converter for smoothness. I imagine other manufacturers will be copying it within a couple of years.
Old 02-02-15, 09:18 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I grabbed some lunch and started reading . Good play-by-play Mike and looking forward to some pics you have on your phone...

A couple things caught my attention:

1. Infiniti - Any mention of the next QX50? Current EX/QX50 is long in the tooth overdue...

Thanks!
Funny you bring this up, as I was just talking to someone from Infiniti about this. A mmarshall said, the Q30 compact and QX30 SUV are coming out very soon, with the QX30 coming out just a small bit later. They're based on the same platform as the Mercedes-Benz A/GLA/CLA/B, which was already known information. The QX30 will have the same interior space as the current QX50, which is very small inside. It's going to end up having the same stance as the GLA in the way that it looks like a lifted hatch.

Here's where it gets interesting...what will happen with the QX50 nameplate? I haven't seen any spy pics or heard anything about what will be the next Q5/GLC/X3 competitor but I know it and the QX70 are expected to be replaced by 2017, with the QX70 coming first. I'd like to add this is slightly different than what cmk1 reported earlier on this forum. He's certainly a valuable asset and has WAY more insight into design timing. Regardless it looks like we wont see the QX50 for a little bit yet:

Originally Posted by cmk1
For the QX50, yes it will be redesigned for the 2016 model year and it will be evolutionary (design wise). It was delayed from a 2014 launch, when Johan De Nysschen arrived in mid-2012, as were many other models. It is in final development and had its design frozen well over a year ago.

The S52 QX70 might have just been approved recently for the 2017 model year. I believe current QX50 and QX70 have good interior materials and fit & finish (EX35 loaners, sister's '10 FX50), so I'm not sure if you meant the design is just old overall.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-02-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-02-15, 01:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The new 2016 Tacoma will be heavily detailed at the upcoming Chicago Auto Show. Hopefully we will get the engine specs.

Also, a new safety simulator as well as some concepts will debut.
Old 02-02-15, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new 2016 Tacoma will be heavily detailed at the upcoming Chicago Auto Show. Hopefully we will get the engine specs.
That should be some good competition in the mid-size pickup department.....an all-new Tacoma (which, of course, has always had a good reputation) vs. an all-new 2Gen Colorado/Canyon which is light-years ahead of its very unimpressive and poorly-done predecessor. All of the other pickup trucks, in the American market, are either in the full-size class (F-150, Silverado, etc...) or compact (Nissan Frontier), though Nissan considers the Frontier a mid-size.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-15 at 04:30 PM.