Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15 | 01:08 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
My mom's 2013 makes a lot of engine noise at all rpm's. It's not a quiet ride, but the noise from hers comes from the motor and not tires. She has the stock Michelins by the way. It's been known the latest RX is not quiet. I can't speak for your older model though, but perhaps the RX line has not been in tune with Lexus's quiet mantra for some time. Just guesses. I am convinced the redesigned model will be much quieter. In the meantime, you have a very nice SUV that delievers on many accounts. Try to get used to the noise and focus on the positives. It's a great vehicle.
My engine sound like a soft "mini" diesel. Funny as I just now realized that engine noise from the RX is not that dissimilar to my friends Ford F250 at idle. But from what I understand that's the injectors.
Old 02-13-15 | 02:27 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
My engine sound like a soft "mini" diesel. Funny as I just now realized that engine noise from the RX is not that dissimilar to my friends Ford F250 at idle. But from what I understand that's the injectors.

Correct. You are referring to the ticking sound from the direct injection system. That is a noise mostly heard on the outside of the vehicle (faintly inside), and extremely common on most new DI cars today (new Honda Accord sounds the worst). The racket I'm referring to, and what most people (including the OP) complain about with the RX, is traditional engine roar while revving or cruising.
Old 02-13-15 | 06:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Correct. You are referring to the ticking sound from the direct injection system. That is a noise mostly heard on the outside of the vehicle (faintly inside), and extremely common on most new DI cars today (new Honda Accord sounds the worst). The racket I'm referring to, and what most people (including the OP) complain about with the RX, is traditional engine roar while revving or cruising.
RX doesn't have direct injection?
Old 02-13-15 | 06:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
True.
My '09 RX had a piston slap type knocking or tapping when cold.
A problem that was not rare at the time on some 3.5L.Dealer service said it was normal.
Old 02-13-15 | 10:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

when I had my LS and got RX loaners I realized they are kind of noisy in comparison. A lot of wind noise from the huge windshield and mirrors
Old 02-13-15 | 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
when I had my LS and got RX loaners I realized they are kind of noisy in comparison. A lot of wind noise from the huge windshield and mirrors
Almost any normal (non-hybrid/electric) gas-powered vehicle is noisy compared to an LS.....although recent competitors to the LS (S550, Kia K900, Hyundai Equus) have virtually closed the gap.
Old 02-13-15 | 11:06 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Wind noise I can live with. That's really true of all SUV. Even the Mazda CX-9 which we looked at and liked aesthetically was fairly loud with it's very slanted pillars that are the steepest I've seen. It's the "roar" of the road noise coming through the floor and wheel wells that is MOST annoying.
Old 02-13-15 | 02:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes, the RX has direct injection. The noise at issue in this thread isn't from that though. It's just a general engine ruckus and exhaust note that comes through. All complaints about DI noise (in any car) comes from idle while in the car or standing outside of it at idle. It does not contribute to added noise while on the road or accelerating.
Old 02-13-15 | 02:52 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the RX has direct injection. The noise at issue in this thread isn't from that though. It's just a general engine ruckus and exhaust note that comes through. All complaints about DI noise (in any car) comes from idle while in the car or standing outside of it at idle. It does not contribute to added noise while on the road or accelerating.
You sure?
I thought the IS 350 and GS 3.5L's have DI and the extra torque and HP over the RX and ES 3.5L..
Old 02-13-15 | 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Correct. DI ticking noise is usually audible only when the car is stopped or at very low speeds at most. After that, even very low levels of road and wind noise can easily drown it out.....and, as engine RPMs speed up, the idle-ticking becomes a constant very low hum and mixes in with the other noises.

BTW......slightly off-topic, but I just wonder when we'll see the first person complain about too much noise in a Tesla Model S.
Old 02-13-15 | 04:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You sure?
I thought the IS 350 and GS 3.5L's have DI and the extra torque and HP over the RX and ES 3.5L..
You are correct, the current RX does not have DI. Some websites mistakenly state it does. What is strange though, is my mom's RX makes the same ticking/diesel sound at idle, as my DI IS250 does. Oh well!
Old 02-13-15 | 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If the tire roar is what's bothering you, it's the tires. Lexus vehicles are very sensitive to tires, they're nice and quiet on good tires...loud on crappy tires.

What tires are you running?
Old 02-13-15 | 08:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If the tire roar is what's bothering you, it's the tires. Lexus vehicles are very sensitive to tires, they're nice and quiet on good tires...loud on crappy tires.
Not just Lexus. Every modern unibody car with radial tires that I've owned seemed to be tire-sensitive. Usually, the newer the tires, the less wear, and the less-porous the paved surface on the road, the quieter the ride. The MOST tire-sensive car I've owned?....probably my 1995 Celica. Tire quality also makes a difference. My Celica came with factory tires that were pure garbage, howled like a tomcat after only about a year, and I tossed them at only 14K and got a nice quiet-riding set of Goodyear Regattas..a tire that, unfortunately, s not made anymore.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-13-15 | 10:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS

What tires are you running?
Goodyear Assurance comforted touring. They SUCK A$$. Loud as banshee.
Anyway found a nice thread on carpet removal of the RX...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...or-carpet.html

Pretty intense. I'd have to get up early am to get a jump start. I figure add another two hours on top of the already four that it takes just because I'm new to it. 6.....hrs. Yikes.
Old 02-13-15 | 10:05 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not just Lexus. Every modern unibody car with radial tires that I've owned seemed to be tire-sensitive. Usually, the newer the tires, the less wear, and the less-porous the paved surface on the road, the quieter the ride. The MOST tire-sensive car I've owned?....probably my 1995 Celica. Tire quality also makes a difference. My Celica came with factory tires that were pure garbage, howled like a tomcat after only about a year, and I tossed them at only 14K and got a nice quiet-riding set of Goodyear Regattas..a tire that, unfortunately, s not made anymore.
On a section of hwy that's been newly paved the db rating is a nice 70db. I find my music is really detailed, musical and just pleasant to listen to there.

Quick Reply: Why is Lexus so loud inside the cabin?